Help my cat is losing hair on face

Naehergrandma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
Our 1 year old spayed cat is randomly losing hair on her face her chin has black specks but she is losing hair on chin and behind whiskers. My poor baby. Yes we are going to the vet this week but wanted to know what it was by cat owners and remedies before then.

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you talking about by her whiskers? That looks like a sore and I'd get that checked out by a vet.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's hard to tell from the photo but possibly ringworm. Please keep us posted after your vet visit this week. Good luck! :goodluck:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As you can see, you are going to get varying ideas about what it could be, and I am no exception to that. Possible acne - which can be 'itchy' and cause scratching enough to cause a sore? The most common cause of acne is plastic food/water bowls, or ones that are not cleaned often or thoroughly enough. The plastic 'absorbs' bacteria in the pores and bacteria will build up on other types of materials as well, even ceramic, stainless steel, or glass dishes - although less so than plastic.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, possible cat acne from eating /drinking out of plastic. If not, some kind of allergy or bacterial infection. Antibiotoics may clear it up but you have to find out what caused it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Naehergrandma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you I changed the bowls to metal and this happened tight after she was spayed. Fingers crossed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may have had a slight allergy to the anesthesia, or picked up an infection from her spaying. You could apply some human antibiotic salve (with NO pain killers, harmful to cats) or get some wound spray from a farm supply store like Tractor supply. Soak a cotton ball with the spray and apply it. The spraying sound usually scares cats.