Help my cat is getting more sick

Bellatoes86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat recently got sick. She was having diarrhea and we took her to the vet, he said she was very healthy and had a small bacteria infection. He gave us medicine to give to her twice a day until gone..good news is her diarrhea is gone but she is now puking what looks to be diarrhea vomit.. everywhere!!! She is hiding all the time and acting a little weird . My baby isn't feeling good :( . Please help me!! I live in a small town and the vet I took her to will only keep charging me so much! She is our baby!! Our Bella!!

Attachments

Educadoralisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would say the fact that your cat is hiding is not a good sign. When one of my cat's was doing this he had an infection and vet explained he was in pain so he would hide.
Is there another vet you could take your Bella to be seen? Could you go to a nearby town?
Hope your baby will be better soon.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you finished the antibiotics yet? If not, they could be upsetting her stomach. Most antibiotics should be given with food to help reduce stomach upset. What antibiotic was/is it? Regardless, there is not much you are going to be able to do on your own without some vet assistance. You could call them and ask if they would provide you with some anti-nausea meds - and, they might do so without a vet visit, but that would probably only be possible if the antibiotics haven't been finished yet. You really have to be careful with the vomiting, it can cause dehydration (just like diarrhea can) and she can run into other health problems if she continues to go without food/water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bellatoes86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I knew that hiding wasn't a good sign :( my baby is sick and I hate it. This is the only vet in this town and his prices are so high!! I mean I'll pay them, but I feel like they should be doing more of a check to see exactly what is going on with her :( I live pretty far from another town, but it may be my only option if I can find home remedies or something that will help me understand what is going on. Thank you for your thoughtful help and kind words :)

Bellatoes86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No I haven't finished the antibiotics yet, and yes she is eating with the medicine. She is eating just fine, drinking just fine. Could it be anxiety? We just moved.. could it have stressed her out that bad?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to talk your vet into treating the additional visits as follow up which should be charged less - after all, they didn’t solve the problem during first visit.
Has she been vaccinated? How old is she?

Educadoralisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe try and give small amounts of food at a time. It might help to keep in her stomach.

Bellatoes86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am awaiting his call back to talk to him about that. And she is a year old and doesn't have her vaccinations yet but is scheduled to have them next week and to be spayed. I'm using everything I have to make sure she is taken care of. She is my daughter..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good idea from She's a witch She's a witch ! Could be a combination of stress and having had diarrhea. In addition to the above questions, is the vomit partially digested food, undigested food, or some of both? Does she go outside where she could have caught something?

Bellatoes86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her vomit literally looks like her diarrhea did but a little thicker. She is a inside cat and does not go outside. Another thing that is bothersome is before all this she used her litter box and never made a mess.. now she messes in the house and pees on my bed. Kinda like she can't control herself :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is sick and needs to be more fully checked out by the vet. What tests did they do and how did they determine she had a 'small bacteria infection'?

Bellatoes86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took her poop to the vet. That's how they found out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If they only did a fecal float test, that will normally not pick up on a bacterial infection - it is primarily used to look for parasites. Does that mean they did a full fecal PCR test - which looks for not only parasites, but bacterial and viral infections? I think at a minimum you should be calling the vet and telling them of her other issues, if you did not do so already. Parasites can also cause all of the symptoms you have described. No one mentioned parasites of any kind?

Bellatoes86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nobody mentioned that at all.. I'm not sure what kind of test he ran.. I brought her in after-hours so he was rushing me it felt like. I'm still waiting on a call back from him.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And she is a year old and doesn't have her vaccinations yet but is scheduled to have them next week and to be spayed.
Yikes, not even her kitten vaccines? What happened? She should have some bloodwork checked to make sure nothing more serious is going on. If this vet isn't being helpful to address your concerns then find a new one who is more concerned about the health of an unvaccinated cat. I also wouldn't vaccinate and spay her until this issue is resolved.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Bellatoes86 and welcome to the forum !

What, exactly, is the name of the 'antibiotic' she is still taking ?

You said that the diarrhea has stopped.......but......has she pooped? How often is she now pooping? Is the poop hard, like a rock? Does she cry or meow when she poops?

You can save yourself some cleanup work (and grief) if you confine her to one room (with no carpet) until all this resolves.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they only did a fecal float test, that will normally not pick up on a bacterial infection - it is primarily used to look for parasites. Does that mean they did a full fecal PCR test - which looks for not only parasites, but bacterial and viral infections? I think at a minimum you should be calling the vet and telling them of her other issues, if you did not do so already. Parasites can also cause all of the symptoms you have described. No one mentioned parasites of any kind?
I’m guessing here, but they could have done stained fecal smear, which is the easiest and fastest check for bacterial infection at the vet office. If it shows something, not many vets would send the sample out for expensive PCR, or even culture, unless they suspect something else. Obviously PCR is the most sensitive method, but it’s expensive and time consuming and checks against previously pre-identified pathogens as listed in the fecal panel, or individual pathogen selected to be checked against.