Help. My cat has an abscess

Kirsty_MacKenzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

New to this forum but looking for a bit of advice please.

My Beautiful boy Mango had an abscess on his neck which the vet said to leave for now. It burst last night so obviously had him at the vet again today. They had to put him under to remove/clean it. He has a drain put in for the next 5 days. Thing is where it’s located they couldn’t put a collar on. They bandaged his right paws to try and stop him stratching it. The bandage has now fallen off and I’m worried he’s going to rip his stitches out. I don’t know how to make sure he’s going to leave the site alone.

I’m already having to separate both my boys so the other doesn’t try to clean the area or play a little to rough. Just stressed and anxious incase he gets at it 😭

Many thanks in advance!
Kirsty
With her boys Toby & Mango

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you reapply the bandage? I'd go get something or he'll end up hurting himself as you said. Even if you have to constantly keep doing it. Smart thinking on separating them.
Aside from redoing the wrapping, I can't imagine what else to do. I know you can't put a cone on, but is it possible to put something loosely over the area itself?
My neighbor's cat would itch his belly while having some type of rash, and they put him a onesy. They just cut off the bottom and it stopped him from scratching.
Best of luck!🐾💞

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! And, welcome to TCS. Have you considered a onsie, or at least a cut-up version as mentioned above? Extra small dog sweaters? A large sock that you cut the ankle off of and slip it over his head?

You could even use most any breathable material and wrap it around him and close it using velcro.