Help! My cat has a lump on her back!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well it popped today, literally like 10-20 minutes ago. I had taken the puppy for a walk before I go to work and when I came home it was oozing all over the place! Nasty! She didn't even seem to notice it until I started trying to wipe it clean, then she suddenly wanted to lick it and kept biting my fingers because I was getting in the way. So far it just keeps oozing, it won't stop. I've even put pressure on it and squeezed it like a zit, which got alot out but not all of it apparently. I have to hop in the shower for work so there isn't much I can do for her right now, especially during her current licking frenzy. I don't know if it's bad for her to ingest the stuff but I'm hoping she can at least stop the oozing so I can clean it up when I get home. I'll keep you posted.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got home and it had stopped oozing so I cleaned it all up, put triple antibiotic ointment on there and covered it with Band-Aids, then I wrapped an ACE bandage around her whole middle section to keep her from messing with it. I'm also hoping that if I keep it bandaged like this, it will take longer to heal (this is just a theory based on the fact that my own cuts don't heal as quickly if they are kept moist and not allowed to breathe) so all the yucky stuff will get sucked up by the bandages before it gets a chance to close up. So now I just have to force her to take her nightly dose of antibiotics and then I'm off to bed.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mira's_mommy

Got home and it had stopped oozing so I cleaned it all up, put triple antibiotic ointment on there and covered it with Band-Aids, then I wrapped an ACE bandage around her whole middle section to keep her from messing with it. I'm also hoping that if I keep it bandaged like this, it will take longer to heal (this is just a theory based on the fact that my own cuts don't heal as quickly if they are kept moist and not allowed to breathe) so all the yucky stuff will get sucked up by the bandages before it gets a chance to close up. So now I just have to force her to take her nightly dose of antibiotics and then I'm off to bed.
NO NO! Please....unbandage it right now! an abscess has to be kept OPEN to heal.

Please do not cover the abscess. Warm pack it several times a day and keep giving her the antibiotics. the abscess must be kept uncovered and open to heal properly.

<edit> I hope you have seen this reply. That abscess wound must be kept open to the air. Please do not keep it covered at all.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

NO NO! Please....unbandage it right now! an abscess has to be kept OPEN to heal.

Please do not cover the abscess. Warm pack it several times a day and keep giving her the antibiotics. the abscess must be kept uncovered and open to heal properly.

<edit> I hope you have seen this reply. That abscess wound must be kept open to the air. Please do not keep it covered at all.
I just read this and immediately uncovered it. Oops. I won't be bandaging it anymore. Thanks for letting me know so quickly, otherwise I would have just left it like that and possibly caused my kitty to get sicker rather than better. Mira and I are eternally grateful to you.

I do have another question though. I am almost out of her antibiotics. Should I go back to the vet and get more? They said just to finish the bottle but it took so long for the abscess to open...I don't know if I should keep giving it to her until it is completely healed.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get more antibiotics. Possibly another type (but your vet will know best). The best way to kill a long-term infection is to run a full course of one antibiotic, then switch to another. The theory is that the new antibiotic will kill the few bacteria that have survived the first one, being somewhat resistant to it.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Saw the vet today and it is an abcess. He said it's really close to popping on its own so he just shaved the area, told me how to care for it once it does open up, and prescribed antibiotics. Said it would be fine. And all that only cost me about $50 bucks, so it was very easy on the bank account.
Thanks everyone for your help. It at least kept me from going nuts til I could have her checked out.
So glad it was just an abscess. Paws (RIP) had a lump on his back and it turned out to be something really bad. When I read your post, my heart dropped. You can't imagine how happy I am for your outcome.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just read this and immediately uncovered it. Oops. I won't be bandaging it anymore. Thanks for letting me know so quickly, otherwise I would have just left it like that and possibly caused my kitty to get sicker rather than better. Mira and I are eternally grateful to you.

I do have another question though. I am almost out of her antibiotics. Should I go back to the vet and get more? They said just to finish the bottle but it took so long for the abscess to open...I don't know if I should keep giving it to her until it is completely healed.
Oh, good thank you for telling me!

I agree with the below post regarding antibiotics. Mira should be on the antibiotics at least two full weeks. Longer if you think he has missed some doses. If she is on clavamox now, and your vet switches to baytril, you can see about getting some small plain empty gel capsules to put the pills in. Baytril is notoriously bitter.

Does she allow the warm pack sessions? Is she still nursing the kittens? Please keep us updated!

Originally Posted by mrblanche

I would get more antibiotics. Possibly another type (but your vet will know best). The best way to kill a long-term infection is to run a full course of one antibiotic, then switch to another. The theory is that the new antibiotic will kill the few bacteria that have survived the first one, being somewhat resistant to it.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh, good thank you for telling me!

I agree with the below post regarding antibiotics. Mira should be on the antibiotics at least two full weeks. Longer if you think he has missed some doses. If she is on clavamox now, and your vet switches to baytril, you can see about getting some small plain empty gel capsules to put the pills in. Baytril is notoriously bitter.

Does she allow the warm pack sessions? Is she still nursing the kittens? Please keep us updated!
Baytril is what she's taking now, which explains why it's such a battle to get her to take it. Sometimes she throws up half an hour after I give it to her (I'm thinking upset stomach is a side effect?) so I'm sure she is missing doses. Sigh.

She was letting me warm pack it before it popped but now that it has, I think it's painful. She fights like crazy to keep me from touching it so it's become a 2 person job. All my humans have been at work so I haven't done it yet today, but I will try to wing it solo before I go to work myself since it needs to be done, help or no.

She is still nursing the kittens, and they are doing very well. They are a little more than 4 weeks old now, so I suppose it's time to try introducing them to wet food. I'll be letting you all know how that goes.

Thanks for all your help everyone, and I will keep posting to let you know how it's going.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update! You might ask the vet for some pain medication for a day or two, if the vet thinks it would be safe for the nursing kittens.

Yes, Baytril is nasty, but it is god medicine. I know you understand how important it is that she get the full course of meds. How are you pilling her? I might be able to help. Another option is a long lasitnig antibiotic injection called Covenia. I don't know if that is safe for nursing kittens either.

I think I'll do a little research.

<in edit> well I researched Convenia, (injectable antibiotic) and torbogesic (pain medication) and both say that it is not known if these can be used safely in nursing mothers.

rats.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet if they want her to take more antibiotics?
My Meeko had that happen once and it popped also.
They gave some liquid med to put on it but it burned.
She also had Clavamox.
I think she was on it for 3 weeks.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the update! You might ask the vet for some pain medication for a day or two, if the vet thinks it would be safe for the nursing kittens.

Yes, Baytril is nasty, but it is god medicine. I know you understand how important it is that she get the full course of meds. How are you pilling her? I might be able to help. Another option is a long lasitnig antibiotic injection called Covenia. I don't know if that is safe for nursing kittens either.

I think I'll do a little research.

<in edit> well I researched Convenia, (injectable antibiotic) and torbogesic (pain medication) and both say that it is not known if these can be used safely in nursing mothers.

rats.
It's just a liquid I give via dropper. I'm supposed to fill it up to the 0.5 mark and give it to her. Easier said than done. I have to put it waaaay far back in her mouth, then hold her mouth shut so she doesn't spit it out and massage her throat until she swallows it. Not to mention trying to hold her paws the whole time so she doesn't claw my eyes out. I have to do this twice a day. It's exhausting for both of us.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, a liquid, bletch!

I hate those droppers, next to useless. Can you get a sryinge? Much more efficient!

Okay, does she like yogurt? After the dose, put a drop of yogurt (or some other wet tasty treat she likes, mayonnaise, butter, cream cheese, but yogurt is best since she is on the antibiotic) on her mouth and nose. she will lick the stuff off and automatically swallow.

Have it ready to hand, kneel on the floor with Mira between your knees facing out, cross your feet. This keeps her from backing away from you. Put a dot of the tasty stuff on her mouth and as she licks it off, pry open, put the sryinge (or dropper) back and to the side and shoot the stuff in, then quickly put more of the yogurt (or whatever) on her mouth and nose for her to lick off.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh, a liquid, bletch!

I hate those droppers, next to useless. Can you get a sryinge? Much more efficient!

Okay, does she like yogurt? After the dose, put a drop of yogurt (or some other wet tasty treat she likes, mayonnaise, butter, cream cheese, but yogurt is best since she is on the antibiotic) on her mouth and nose. she will lick the stuff off and automatically swallow.

Have it ready to hand, kneel on the floor with Mira between your knees facing out, cross your feet. This keeps her from backing away from you. Put a dot of the tasty stuff on her mouth and as she licks it off, pry open, put the sryinge (or dropper) back and to the side and shoot the stuff in, then quickly put more of the yogurt (or whatever) on her mouth and nose for her to lick off.
I think that will work, actually. She has a thing for butter so I will try that first. I'll let you know how it goes.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I took the butter out and set it on the counter to soften it up a bit. When I go back into the kitchen, Mira has already found it and is helping herself. I took advantage of the oppurtunity and quickly grabbed her meds and squirted the dose in her mouth as she ate then I waited a few seconds and took the butter away. I don't think she even realized she took her medicine haha. I also went to the store last night and found a warm compress with a velcro strap, so when I'm home alone I can just strap it around her then go find her 20 minutes later and take it off. I gave it a test run last night and it works great.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All right!!!!! Her greed is her downfall hahaha!

Clever of you to find a way to keep a warm pack on! I'm sure you know this, but in case anyone who is reading does not, be very careful about the temperature of something like this before using it on kitty.

Please keep us posted.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The abscess is closed up. There's just one tiny little scab left, and Mira seems to be in better spirits. I am still working on the bottle of Baytril I was originally given (I thought it was almost gone but it seems to be lasting). I warm pack it often, but should I continue doing it now that it's pretty much healed?

I had also mentioned that I wanted to begin transitioning the kittens to real food. I had intended to start with moist food watered down with KMR, but my fiance gave them a handful of the regular cat food last night while I was at work and they just went to town on it! I bought them a bag of kitten treats last night and they scarfed those right down too (whatever Mira didn't steal anyway)! I also put a pie tin filled with litter in their pen, no luck with that yet, but they are only 4 weeks old after all!

But the kittens are doing remarkably well, and their mommy seems to be back in good health. Now just to get her spayed...

Oh yeah, and I am keeping Missy and Callie! That's why I haven't been on here much lately; I've been trying to find time to better accommodate their needs. They are doing so well...Yay!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update on Mira. You can probably stop the hot packs, but keep giving the antibiotic until the medicine is all used up. Abscesses are sneaky things, and this way you will ensure that the infection is completely knocked out.

Glad the kittens are eating real food!

Sweep up their little pees and poops and put the stuff right in their litter pans. That will show them what the pans are for.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go the KMR and wet food route for a few weeks. The extra nutrients will be good, you can also let Mira finish off whatever the kittens don't eat as it'll be good for her, too.