**Help, my cat had a seizure**

whiskaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New here, hi!

I have a cat who is around 2.5 years old. She started having seizures at around 6-8 months. I first noticed symptoms when she was around 6 months, but I had no clue what was happening. I would make a clicking sound with my tongue, as if to call her - at the time she was sitting on a laptop that was turned off. The next thing she did was jerk a couple of times. I found it odd but that's all it was. I noticed this happen a couple more times until finally one night, she started spinning in circles as if she were chasing her tail. I called her name and finally picked her up and put her on the bed - she stopped spinning right away. I was still unsure as to what had happened, monitored her for awhile and all seemed ok. Then she had her first full-blown seizure. She started spinning in circles again and drooling. This went on for probably 30seconds to a minute (but seemed like forever).

A long story short, the seizures are still happening today. She has been on phenobarb for nearly 2 years and I believe it has controlled the seizures to a point but she's so hypersensative to certain sounds that she still has at least 2 per month. Bags crinkling, the dogs nails on the floor, etc she is almost always sensative to. She no longer runs in circles like she did but instead collapses and rolls that way. I don't know if she's every had one while I'm away but when I'm there, I hold her and comfort her and keep her from rolling around. On occassion she will pee, but I believe this is when her bladder is full and she just can't control it - she has never pooped during a seizure.

Aside from the side effects of the phenobarb (her agility is awful these days and she often falls of stuff if she's not careful, or tries to jump onto stuff and doesn't quite make it), she's OK. I believe she goes blind for 5-10 minutes after the seizure because she will walk around, wabbly and nearly run into things. After about 30 minutes she's playing like a kitten.

Are there alternative meds for seizures? Her phenobarb levels are almost TOO high and she still has seizures. If she were totally off the medicine they would be much more frequent though.

Thanks!

Jeremy

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Jeremy, welcome to TCS.

I'm not sure if there are alternative meds for feline epilepsy, other than Phenobarb but I'm sure other members will come along soon with their input.

eupnea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Must be different then with dogs? My cocker spaniel when I was growing up had epilepsy. The attacks weren't fequent but the vet put him on meds right away? He lived a very long time- to long actually. He was blind and deaf before my dad finally could let go of him.
I had a cocker spaniel with this condition too, and she had seizures as often as once a week. They didn't put her on medication though... She lived a pretty long life but she did have serious neurological problems at the time of her death.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if your cats seizure are infrequent, dont put it on meds. i have epilepsy and have taken numerous meds (incl. phenobarb) and i can tell you the meds' side affects are much worse than the seizures. you may not notice all the side affects but believe me, they are there and would be for yrs after the meds are discontinued. as long as the cat doesnt stop breathing or seize for more than 2 min (with infrequent seizures) it will be ok

whiskaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are frequent, even with the meds - at least 2 a month. That and she's almost ALWAYS hypersensative to noise (which eventually leads to a seizure, usually).

Honestly, if she had ear plugs or was deaf, her seizures would like discontinue. They are generally brought on by noise- bags crackling, the dogs nails on the floor, knocking, etc.

amy c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
YES! I can help. I have learned so much, I could write an article!!!!
My sweet Blue Pt. Siamese started having seizures last Nov. He has been sooo healthy for 15 yrs! He is 16.
When I first witnessed, I was horrified, hysterical! He is my only child.
I have read so much on cat epilepsy. It's rare. He was put on Phenobarbitol, orally 2x day-to prevent. Later he got very anxious, walking in circles, crying. They then out him on Zanex, which he fought & hated!
I read about a cat w/same issues, younger and she suggested a Homeopathic tiny bead tablet called Ignitia 200c. It's at Healthfood stores or sections for vitamins at certain stores. $8 is all!!! It's for humans w/anxiety&nervousness. I put a few in his water bowl to dissolve. OMG! It's a miracle! It works. Almost too hard to believe!!! I only do small amounts of Pheno, and Ignitia. He is so happy & calm. The next step us to get him off Phenobarbitol. The blog I read, she said her cat had been given Ignitia & totally got of Pheno. Her cat, 8yrs? Had not had seizure in years!!!! I owe her everything. I have learned so much & you can ask me anything. I luv my pet and want him to have last years peaceful & happy! We are doing well.
Good luck to ANYONE. That's cat has seizures/epilepsy!