Help My Bunny!

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So happy to hear that your Bun is okay!

I was worried, reading through this post, as my at-the-time two year old bun had a precancerous uterus. We got her spayed within a couple days of seeing blood (not bloody urine, but actual blood) in her litterbox, had the vet check her uterus, and it was precancerous.

So, I'm one that can definitely say that if you have a bun, and it has straight blood (you can ask me for pictures for clarification, if you'd like) in it's litterbox, and is an unspayed female, chances are she has a precancerous uterus. The only good thing...it's completely handled by taking her in for an emergency spay.

Undergunfire is correct, though...rabbits do not menstruate, and they are opportunistic ovulators (in other words, unneutered male rabbit around = ovulation, just in case). No, they may not wish to mate each time they're with a male, but chances are, if they're with an unneutered male for more than 30 seconds, a month from that date, you should expect to see babies! There are many reasons a bun might wish not to mate (very hot or cold weather, insufficient diet or environment for raising baby buns, etc.), but that does not necessarily mean they wouldn't, had the environment been more suitable in her eyes. Another thing to consider: the bun could get pregnant, but then absorb her kits (baby buns) if she feels the environment will not support her litter.

I'm honestly not trying to argue, just trying to get more bun info out there. There are a lot of misconceptions, as there are with every animal out there. This is the kind of stuff most people don't necessarily know, and has been discovered rather recently (read: the last few years). If anyone wishes to have article links to any of this, feel absolutely to PM me!

Hugs to all!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had rabbits all of my life. Right now i have a Blue Holland Lop- Sophie.

Rabbits absolutely need to be spayed and neutered. Female rabbits have incredably high odds of getting reproductive cancers/etc when not altared. The blood could be a warning sign of this or she could be in heat. I would get a second opinion. You need to have her spayed hon. It increases their life span dramatically in most cases and it is the responsible thing to do! If you have any questions just send me a pm and i'd be happy to help!!

Your vet may be wonderful as far as cats/dogs go- but do you know how many rabbits she sees/treats in a month, how many she regurally preforms surgery one,etc? These are good questions to ask before deciding on a vet specifically for your rabbit. My bunny goes to a different vet than my cats and dogs because he is more knowledgable and more experienced in rabbits. Seeing blood like that is likely not the result of a water infection- (now i am not a vet and i could be wrong- but having experience with rabbits and having owned many, i really think it's more reproductive in nature), but i would recommend you get a different opinion hon.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
StarryEyedTiger is absolutely right...it would be best for you to find a vet that deals almost exclusively in exotics (birds, rabbits, small animals, etc.), as most vets just don't have much knowledge in buns...and it's very easy for them to misdiagnose your bun. I would suggest getting a second opinion as well...as when my Maisie had a precancerous uterus (not full-on cancer, but heading that way, and had blood in her cage), she was eating and drinking. So, it's really not an indicator. If anything, the blood certainly is.

I'll PM you about a GREAT rabbit forum that has a very good listing of rabbit-savvy vets, by area, so you can check it out and get a second opinion from a vet that knows rabbits really well. (Anyone else that would like to know about the site, feel free to PM me.)

I, too, have a good number of rabbits (nine, with three that I'm sitting for a friend right now), and have had the privilege of being a senior moderator on said rabbit site. There's a lot of knowledge in their library to be read...so enjoy!

Hugs all around,

Rosie*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that one I just had done was a second opinion
the vet before told us it could be a water infection, gave us anti biotics etc, and then we took her to this vet when we saw a bit more

Either way, the vet we saw just said that if it was anything serious, chances are she would have got it by now and she would have stopped eating.

And believe me, that bunny don't stop!!