HELP! My 7-week old kitten has diarrhea.

Theomom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_20220227_101521.jpg

We picked up a kitten from a litter on Thursday (24/2) - someone posted on social media about their pet's litter. He was born on January 4 and is around 7 weeks old.
We gave him kitten food on the first day - I think that was our first mistake, since before this he was still weaning off. He pooped fine at first, but from the second day onwards (Friday evening - 25/2) he's been having loose motions. He meows while doing it, so I think it hurts him. On Saturday he didn't touch his kitten food. We gave him a slice of banana which he ate well. In the evening - after his second loose motion - we switched him to kitten formula. He had it properly. Today morning (27/2), he refused to have the formula. We read online that he should be having one formula meal and three solid meals a day. I got royal canin mousse kitten food and he some enthusiastically, but pooped (loose stool) immediately after. He meowed while doing it and it had a little blood in it.

I am very worried about him. He is extremely active in his waking hours (he does sleep 16hrs a day, but I think that's normal for his age).

We weren't able to take him to the vet because all clinics were closed when this issue started and there isn't any vet open around here till Monday. I don't know what to do. We were supposed to go to the vet on Monday (tomorrow) for a check-up and vaccinations anyways.

*he also has some discharge (see photo) near his eyes.

If anyone has any advice or a home remedy, it'll be greatly appreciated. I know what I did wrong, but, I just need a way to help him feel better before I am able to take him to the vet.

Strawberry Purrs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your kitten does get diarrhea and you want to try a home remedy, you can try adding a little canned pumpkin to their food. The pumpkin increases the fiber in their diet and can balance out their GI tract. A powdered fiber supplement can also be mixed into their food.
Have you tried this already?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty - taken from his mama and siblings far too soon! He is probably suffering from a virus infection, worms and even giardia - none of which will help the situation.

Can you boil a small piece of chicken breast in a little water (no salt) and cut it up as small as possible? Give it to him with some of the water and some pumpkin. Don't mix it all up in case he decides he prefers the one to the other. Alternatively, buy a couple of glasses of good quality baby food suitable for very young babies - pumpkin or pumpkin with potato, and chicken. Make sure there is no salt added. Most young kittens will eat these and it should settle his stomach unless there is a more serious issue.

Even if things do improve, please mention them to the vet on Monday. He should not be vaccinated if he is unwell and suffering from a virus infection.

Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wipe his eyes clean with a warm damp cloth. Let us know what the vet says tomorrow.,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Theomom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! Thank you so much for your advice. I took him to the Vet - The is in perfect condition. It was just the food change that was affecting his stomach. I got a probiotic for that. Thank you so much again.