HELP! My 6 month old kitten MIGHT be pregnant by her 1 1/2 yr old half-brother

Nikki0517

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
The ONLY thing I ask is PLEASE, don't judge me or say mean things, I just need some help before I can get into the vet. Here goes, I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I have a male 1 1/2 yr old cat and a 7 month old kitten who have the same mother, different fathers. I've never had 2 cats at the same time and never a female before (thought she was male when I got her). I know the IMPORTANCE of spaying and neutering and had planned on getting her fixed in about a month. I basically rescued her as my friends cat kept getting kept getting pregnant and he was going to let the kitten "go" so I quickly went and picked her up. I honestly had NO idea a kitten could even get pregnant so that's why I wasn't in a huge rush to get her fixed (also lost my job and money is very limited but my fur babies are always 1st) but have been saving as fast as I can to get her to the vet, I just wanted her safe and happy with me and her half brother and not who knows where to fend for herself. I'm completely freaking out because my bf swears she's pregnant but I haven't noticed anything different. Today while I was grocery shopping he calls me, freaking out, he had just walked into the living room and found my male cat (Nova) having sex with my kitten (Nala) so now he says he is positive she's pregnant since this might not have been the first time. I'm calling first thing in the morning to get her into the vet but right NOW I'm completely freaking out because if she is pregnant I want the best care for her, then the kittens. Hopefully I'm jumping the gun but I'm scared because they are half brother and half sister. I don't want anything to happen to Nala or the "kittens". I'm just at a loss. How can I be so stupid for this to might have happened. I'm just sick over this. I love all animals, especially my fur babies and have always put them first. Is there anything I can do or should know/be prepared for if she is pregnant? I'm so scared for her

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nikki0517

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg, thank you so much for the links! I'm going to go on them now. My vets wants over $300 to spay her and I just don't have that right now. Hopefully I can find a clean, safe and inexpensive place to help me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your kitten is really too young to have kittens. There are probably low-cost spay & neuter clinics in your area where you can get both cats done. You’ll need to call around. If you give your city and state, we can look for clinics for you. Your male desperately needs neutering.

I do understand about financial difficulties, and it’s awesome that you saved this kitten, but it’s much cheaper to get her spayed early than it is to raise a litter. Just so you know, kittens can get pregnant as early as 4 months old. Cats are induced ovulators, so mating induces ovulation of eggs even without a heat cycle.

Let us help you find a clinic! N Nikki0517

Nikki0517

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Thank you so much. I live in Branford CT. The reason my male was never neutered is because he's an indoor only cat and was an only kitty until recently when I got Nala. Plus my stupid (sorry lol) bf didn't want him to lose his "manhood" as he says, so I didn't push the issue but now I definitely will be getting them both fixed. Thank you again for your help, it really means a lot

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your town government has a shelter that provides low cost spay and neuter services, and they also offer a list of other nearby services. You’ll need to call around to see when the earliest appointments are available — even set one and cancel if, as you call, you find an even earlier day is open. The list is extensive, and you’ll need to compare prices. It may be that each cat is done at a different location.

Here is the link:
Resources and Financial Assistance | Town of Branford, CT

Let us know how this goes!

P.S. Male cats don’t miss their “manhood.” They are happier, calmer, and healthier without it. 😊 N Nikki0517

Nikki0517

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news... Nala has her vet appointment set up for next Friday at 3pm! I called and explained my situation to the receptionist and she was great. They USED to do payment plans but stopped because people were constantly not paying (which I totally understand) BUT she's going to talk to the owner and is pretty sure she'll let me set up a payment plan to get her fixed if she's not pregnant ($350+pain meds which I just don't have all of). I used the link you gave me, thank you again!, but unfortunately most places are either "website unfound" or they are on a pause because a lack of donations and to many owners needing help. I have no problem paying, especially for my fur babies care, it's just so expensive so I'm praying they'll do the payment plan for me this once. I have more than half saved so it's not like I'm going in with only $10 and expecting free services. She also said the chances that Nala is pregnant is slim because she hasn't gone through heat yet (at least no sings of it at all) but of course it's not 100% there's always a chance. So I'm keeping them separate when we're not home or sleeping and keeping a close eye on them (like no more bathroom closet where they both love or behind the shower curtain at the same time). 😻

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
they are on a pause because a lack of donations and to many owners needing help
Thank you for sharing about this.

She also said the chances that Nala is pregnant is slim because she hasn't gone through heat yet (at least no sings of it at all) but of course it's not 100% there's always a chance.
:vibes: :crossfingers: :lovecat3:

jankuchel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
The ONLY thing I ask is PLEASE, don't judge me or say mean things, I just need some help before I can get into the vet. Here goes, I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I have a male 1 1/2 yr old cat and a 7 month old kitten who have the same mother, different fathers. I've never had 2 cats at the same time and never a female before (thought she was male when I got her). I know the IMPORTANCE of spaying and neutering and had planned on getting her fixed in about a month. I basically rescued her as my friends cat kept getting kept getting pregnant and he was going to let the kitten "go" so I quickly went and picked her up. I honestly had NO idea a kitten could even get pregnant so that's why I wasn't in a huge rush to get her fixed (also lost my job and money is very limited but my fur babies are always 1st) but have been saving as fast as I can to get her to the vet, I just wanted her safe and happy with me and her half brother and not who knows where to fend for herself. I'm completely freaking out because my bf swears she's pregnant but I haven't noticed anything different. Today while I was grocery shopping he calls me, freaking out, he had just walked into the living room and found my male cat (Nova) having sex with my kitten (Nala) so now he says he is positive she's pregnant since this might not have been the first time. I'm calling first thing in the morning to get her into the vet but right NOW I'm completely freaking out because if she is pregnant I want the best care for her, then the kittens. Hopefully I'm jumping the gun but I'm scared because they are half brother and half sister. I don't want anything to happen to Nala or the "kittens". I'm just at a loss. How can I be so stupid for this to might have happened. I'm just sick over this. I love all animals, especially my fur babies and have always put them first. Is there anything I can do or should know/be prepared for if she is pregnant? I'm so scared for her
I’d get a kitty abortion since your money is so tight. You do know your male cat is 1.5 years old and not neutered and can impregnant many cats in one night out.
I would get him fixed asap. There are low cost pay neuter all over the USA. Where are you and I’ll find the place for you.
Please, I devote my life to this and u can’t believe how many “mistakes” happen because one male is left with his jewels.

Nikki0517

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do know that but he never goes or has gone outside unless in a carrier to the vet. I don't know everything about cats but that's 1 thing I do know. He would've been fixed a long time ago if he was an outdoor cat. I just didn't plan on getting a 2nd kitty until I rescued his baby sister. So yes, if she is pregnant, I'm going to do what the vets suggests and if not she's getting fixed 1st. Once that's paid off Nova will go in next.

Nikki0517

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you try to call small recues in your area? They might be able to put you in touch with an affordable alternative. I know our rescue has a vet who works primarily with rescues but who will also do "outside cats" for the same fee. ($100-$125) .
I tried a bunch of places yesterday but everyone is on "hold" that I could find, because of less donations and to many people. I haven't been able to find a cheaper one yet but I'm trying!

jankuchel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do know that but he never goes or has gone outside unless in a carrier to the vet. I don't know everything about cats but that's 1 thing I do know. He would've been fixed a long time ago if he was an outdoor cat. I just didn't plan on getting a 2nd kitty until I rescued his baby sister. So yes, if she is pregnant, I'm going to do what the vets suggests and if not she's getting fixed 1st. Once that's paid off Nova will go in next.
Male kitties start to spray a urine and make jizz combo on your furniture and anything they can reach to “mark” if you don’t get them neutered in time. I hope it’s not too late. 🙏. I’m willing to reach out to my cat folks (I am involved with TNR here outside austin, TX but I know how to reach other places. ). Low cost spay/neuter you should be able to search out on google or your local Facebook/next door groups, chamber of commerce. We all need animals to keep from having more babies as so many have to be killed now in shelters. It’s horrible. So you’ll help the problem by taking yours in. And we are willing to help you.

Nikki0517

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, he only "sprays" in the litter box thank God. I'm definitely willing to take any help I can get and want to get them fixed, I just haven't had the money. These times have sucked lately financially. Don't worry, they do have everything they need, they're very healthy and cared for and have been to the vet I just can't afford the surgery or believe me, it would've been done. If you could help find low cost services I'd be very grateful as I've had no luck in my area. I'm in Branford CT

jankuchel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, he only "sprays" in the litter box thank God. I'm definitely willing to take any help I can get and want to get them fixed, I just haven't had the money. These times have sucked lately financially. Don't worry, they do have everything they need, they're very healthy and cared for and have been to the vet I just can't afford the surgery or believe me, it would've been done. If you could help find low cost services I'd be very grateful as I've had no luck in my area. I'm in Branford CT
Nutmeg Spay/Neuter Clinic
Nutmeg Spay/Neuter Clinic