Help: My 5 month old kitten might be bullying my 3 month old

thescarletfox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I got Mokona (3 months old) About a week ago. 

They have been introduced at meal times through a gate, eating almost right next to each other. Shadow (5 month old) has liked Mokona, laid beside him and been super chill about everything. 

Id like to note Mokona weighs 1 pound and Shadow weighs 7.6 pounds. Mokonas family was underfeeding him. :/

They always seem to be doing great during meals, during naps, during chilling but the moment play time starts to happen. I am not sure if Shadow is trying to instigate play or bullying. Shadow will tap him with a paw and wait, then tap 2 more times and see what happens. Then he might chase Mokona and bite him around the neck or back and lick. So i am very confused.. He also might tap Mokonas but to push him once. 

Please help. I dont know if Shadow does like Mokona or if he is asserting dominance or if he is like hey buddy lets play. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thescarletfox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update

Shadow came up to Mokona while he was resting to lick him then laid on top of him. Im confused

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is simply play fighting, this is normal. If Mokona is weak and still recovering I would just monitor the play to assure Mokona is able to reciprocate or escape(if he's not in the mood to play).

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woah!  He is seriously underweight.  How much and what are you feeding per day?

thescarletfox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is simply play fighting, this is normal. If Mokona is weak and still recovering I would just monitor the play to assure Mokona is able to reciprocate or escape(if he's not in the mood to play).
Im scared, do you think Shadow could hurt him?

Woah!  He is seriously underweight.  How much and what are you feeding per day?
I am offering wet food once an hour and as much as his heart desires as the vet told me to. They gave me food at the vet Royal Caninne the vet Kitten development stuff. Right now he is about 1- 1.5 cans a day 

I know.  Want to make sure that the kitten has 24/7 access to quality dry food now, in addition to meals of wet.  
I have dry food out all the time. But he shows no interest in it. I think his original family assumed he was eating the dry food but other kittens or parents were the ones actually eating it because he doesn't seen interested in it at all. 

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think he would get hurt. I would just watch them and if you think it's getting rough break it up or if it makes you feel more at easy don't let them play fight until Mokona puts on more weight.

thescarletfox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think he would get hurt. I would just watch them and if you think it's getting rough break it up or if it makes you feel more at easy don't let them play fight until Mokona puts on more weight.
Do you think it will strain their relationship in the long run, that Mokona is a bit scared right now? And I break up these fights? Am i hurting their future relationship?

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can break up the fight by for example taking one of those poles with the feathers on the end and then start to play with them. This way you are continuing the play fighting but directing it to the cat toy instead of the cats. He should put on a good amount of weight soon and you won't need to do this at all.

thescarletfox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can break up the fight by for example taking one of those poles with the feathers on the end and then start to play with them. This way you are continuing the play fighting but directing it to the cat toy instead of the cats. He should put on a good amount of weight soon and you won't need to do this at all.
Awesome thanks! This is really good Advice