Help, My 14 year old peeing right outside the litter box.

buddy5000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried a lot of things. Dr. Elsey's litter, Dr. Elseys Cat Attract litter. big uncovered clean box etc. I think she has a behaviour issue only not a UTI. I am at my wits end, spent a lot of money and I don't know what else to do.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, good luck with finding a solution.  Can you say a little more about how long this has been going on for, and if your cat has had any health issues such as previous UTIs? Also , is she your only cat or is it a multi cat / animal household?  All of these things may influence the situation. 

I had a female cat who sprayed her urine from a young age and after a long history of UTIs and inflamed bladder she persistently peed missing what ever box and litter I tried, and also refused to poop in the box (I eventually reached the conclusion that for her the box was the nasty place she only went to pee, that as it was sore she didn't go to it at any other time).  It didn't matter how clean the box was, how many boxes I had, or where it was located.  It helped slightly if I had a very high sided box or tray that didn't have any joins at or below the level she sprayed her urine, but she would often not turn in the boxes and so she would still pee out of the box entrance.  It was exasperating!

I went through textures of litter, odour (or not) of litters, shapes, heights, door types covered and uncovered types of trays, constant scooping and cleaning, extra trays, different locations and aspects for privacy, and ease of getting in and positioned.  Having said that, I have seen one suggestion for using a very deep,  oblong tray but with the entrance on the longer sides so the cat is encouraged to turn and pee within the tray.  I am not conviinced my cat would have turned rather than leave her butt hanging out over the entrance but anything is worth a go when you have pee on your floor a few times a day!

As my girl did not pee anywhere other than over the edge or door of her tray and I had exhausted all other changes I eventually resorted to using puppy training pads under the tray.  It didn't alter her behaviour but it prevented the urine reaching the floor, improved the odour issues, and made my cleaning of the area a whole lot easier.  I had to do the same thing with her sister when she was older but for different reasons: she was very arthritic and blind, and found it hard to navigate and get right in to the tray.  I think she often thought she was right in but hadn't quite got there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buddy5000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh!  Very difficult and I have anxiety over it now.  She was doing okay from August until November and on and off before that.   Peeing outside the box started I can't remember when.   She also seems to like to be clean and will not cover her pee.  She lives in our house with her buddy another 14 year old male since she has known for 14yrs.  She also has  a 1yr old male. 
Before from August until November she was using the box with the 1yr old male with no problem.  Than one day she started peeing outside the box.  It is always right outside the box.  When she pees in the box she never covers it up.  When she started peeing outside the box I put her in the room during the day with my 14 yr old.  He is confined when I am not home during the day and at night when I sleep.  It is a large bedroom and they have food and water on one side of room and 4 litter boxes for the two of them.  Tigger the 1yr old is outside this room in the rest of the house and does not share the litter box with them since their room is closed.