Help, Miikka throwing up...

fastdak

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As you know she was in for her spay and her front declaw on Monday AM.
I brought her home this afternoon.
Since then she has been unable to keep food down and has thrown up 3 times.
She is walking around a bit, but the rest of the time she is sleeping.

Is this normal???
Im totally freaking out here.
What should I do for her?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is probably a combination of pain, stress, the surgeries and the medication. What are you feeding her and how much? Is the regurgitation liquid or food? Is she drinking, using the litter pan? Does she have a fever? If she has a fever, call the vet and get her in for she could be starting an infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastdak

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have called the vet at home but he isnt there. Hopefully he responds soon.
Any insight from here?
I want the best for my baby...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take her temperature, do you know how? You will probably need help with her, someone to hold her gently while you take it rectally. You want to watch her carefully for she can dehydrate quickly when she vomits. Do the pinch test, carefully pinch the scruff of her neck, hold for a second then release, if the skin stays tented up SHE NEEDS A VET QUICKLY. The skin should fold down in seconds, and return to normal if she is properly hydrated.

fastdak

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She doesnt seem hotter than normal. I dont have a thermometer however her head and body seems normal, and her nose feels normal too.
Skin does not tent up when I do the pinch test, it goes back to normal quicky.

I just spoke to the vet. He says that she was doing good at the vet, not throwing up at all and eating right. He thinks it might be a case of her medicine wearing off, or that she might just be trying to do stuff too fast at home when she isnt ready.

He told me to keep an eye on her tonight and if things arent right in the morning to bring her in at 8AM tomorow.

fastdak

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

It is probably a combination of pain, stress, the surgeries and the medication. What are you feeding her and how much? Is the regurgitation liquid or food? Is she drinking, using the litter pan? Does she have a fever? If she has a fever, call the vet and get her in for she could be starting an infection.
Ooops, didnt see your first reply.
I think its a combination of what you have said.
I had a bit of dry food out for her when she got home, she threw this up and some wet food that she might have had at the vets.
Around 3 hours ago I gave her a tip of a teaspoon of wet food again and this was thrown up and then 5 mins later she threw up mostly just liquid/more digested food.
She is drinking (I have been bringing her water every little while when I see her awake). She has used the litter pan twice since getting home, both for a #1 and 2.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would simply push water for her to keep her hydrated. If there is a store nearby, run there and get some chicken or turkey baby food. Mix it up with warm water make a bit of a soupy broth and see if she tolerates that?

I will think good thoughts for you and her tonight- poor kitty, and poor you. Try and keep your stress down when you are near her, for she will pick it up and react badly.

fastdak

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks hissy.
my mom is here right now and so is my girlfriend.
Miikka is awake and walking around and seems quite alert.
Im still pretty out of it but I am trying to be positive.

fastdak

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Miikka has calmed down again and is currently laying next to my legs on my bed sleeping (she usually sleeps next to my chest, but having her on the bed right now is good enough for me
)

I may have found out what made her sick earlier. I am not a cat genious but I may have a theory. It turns out that my mom had given her some catnip to eat slightly before the first time she got ill... Laugh at me if I am talking nonsense but would this not be somewhat like a person drinking alcohol while having morphine or another drug in their system?

I think we are going to go to bed now, I will keep everyone updated in the morning.
Thanks again for everyones help. I am not good at these kind of things. I wish all of you were here with me in person to share your expertise

-Dave

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually catnip is good for the digestive system if it is organic. If it is processed, it can make them sick.

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This same thing happened to Jasmine when she came home from the vet after being declawed. (Remember, it was about 12 years ago)

But if I remember correctly, she had an upset tummy for about 3 days or so after getting home...and wasn't able to keep all of her food down, although some. Most important thing is to keep her hydrated, and to offer her food every few hours to see if she is feeling better.

It will pass. If not, do take her back to the vet as he suggested.

Hissy has a good recommendation about trying to get her to eat baby food. Just make sure that it doesn't contain an onion or onion powder. (I buy dylan the gerber baby food in 3oz. jars--his favorite is the beef and gravy.)

But, I would give that a shot, because when dylan can't manage the cat food, that is what he eats...and he basically just drinks is off of the plate.

fastdak

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well knock on wood but she hasnt been sick at all today.
She is eating small amounts (I have been giving her the tip of a teaspoon of wet food).
She seems much more alert, and is trying to climb on things as we speak.
As a result of her vomiting a few times yesterday she hasnt made a trip to the litter box yet today. I am sure that this is just because she hasnt had much to eat/drink.

I have been giving her lots of water tho, most of the time she is taking it, other times she just isnt thirsty.

I think she is now on the road to the better half of her recovery