Help! Might Have Made Big Mistake!

subgeniuszero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I recently had to shelter my cat Demmu, because he was having severe behavioral problems which were getting worse and worse, no matter how much I tried to love him.
It nearly broke my heart to do it, but it really was the only choice; I felt like a failure.

So I decided to try again with someone new. So yesterday, I went to the local chapter of the humane society and adopted someone new, a very sweet and affectionate (if a tad overweight) 6-year-old named Kitty Boy, who head-butted me repeatedly in the cat-room they had set up, and wasn't shy of lying down and showing me his belly to rub. (Plus, I figured nobody ever gives older cats a chance, so I would.)

Anyway, I got him home, and made what I think is a bad mistake. Instead of giving him his own little room for a while -- which I only today learned is what I was supposed to do -- I set his carrier down in the living room and let him out; he spent the next few hours exploring the living room and bedroom, occasionally letting me pet him though still acting quite shy of me; he would rub up on me (he even let me rub his belly a few times), but if I came near him (I did not approach him intentionally; he just happened to be near the fridge or bathroom, etcetera), he would slink away or bolt, keeping a watchful eye on me. He ate his dinner in the kitchen and used the litter-box once (I think), and then promptly went and hid himself away in the box-springs of my mattress, where he has been (mostly) ever since, at least as far as *I've* been able to tell. (I hope he isn't going woo-woo in there; I really do.) He peeks out every now and again to see if it's safe, but if I'm around, he retreats. I understand that this is perfectly normal -- i.e., that cats usually spend their first few days in hiding when at a new place -- but what I'm worried about is that I failed to give him his own room for the first few days, and how that will affect him from now on.

For what it's worth, I DID rectify the problem. This morning, I moved his litter, food, and water into the bedroom where he's hiding, and then pulled the door to (with a big enough space for him to get out if he wants to), hoping that would help him. I'm worried that I might have messed up big time, though, by not doing this in the first place and instead gave him the entire apartment at first. But I'm afraid the relocation of the food and litter might also confuse him, since he's only been here a day or so. Worse, I'm expecting company this morning -- a friend (and cat lover, though he doesn't have one), who will probably be staying over until the early afternoon hours. I'm worried that the presence of another person will make him even more reticent than he is now.

So did I do the right thing by putting his things in that room and giving him his space, even if it was a day or so late? Did I really screw up big time? Or what?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any cat in a new and unfamiliar place will seek out a "safe place" to hide if things get bad. You did the right thing to move his stuff in there, and, if I were you, I'd close the door or block it so that he can see out a little, but can't get out.

Your apartment is full of funny new smells to him, and odd sounds, and someone (you) who may or may not be a monster waiting to eat him. It may take a few days for him to warm up to the whole situation.

In addition, I assume this apartment is where you had the other cat. If so, he's smelling that cat and thinking it's somewhere there, too, ready to defend his territory from this newcomer.

Give it a little time, and let us know how it's working out and if we can help any.

There IS an herbal "soother" that you can get and have diffused in the house, called "Feliway." Some here have had great luck with it.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He sounds like a completelynormal kitty that is terrified right now. Which is completely understandable. I don't think youvedone anything wrong and most of the time these things work out just fine.

When I was in college and just beginning to understand indoor only cats, when I brought one home, I'd plop it down in the middle of the living room and off we'd go. None of them ever had irreparable damage.

Reading around this board you will see a lot of 'extreme' cases of behavior problems that people live with and some great advice on how to manage that. However, most of the people on here are cat lovers that have dealt with cats for many, many years and make conscious decisions to bring those 'issues' into our homes. Most kitties, adopted from shelters are good, loving and sweet kitties. They are terrified when they come to a new environment but chances are, he'll come around with patience and understanding

One note, don't try to pull him out from his hiding place but you can try giving him an alternate hiding place such as a 'hut' type bed and/or put his carrier in there open (you can take the door off so it doesn't close and scare him). Giving him a few options of places to hide will help. And get some toys and treats. Sit in the room with him quietly (read a book, talk softly to him) and when he pokes his head out, put a tasty treat down for him. Don't reach for him, wait for him to approach you. Get a couple of toys on strings that you can toss under the bed and slowly pull out to encourage him to come out.

He's an older boy, thank you for bringing home an older, so he has more experiences, probably not all good, with humans. If he's been outside at all, he probably has a little more distrust. Be patient with him. Don't force anything and since he's an only cat, I'd be tempted to open the door to the room and just see what he does. Keep the house as quiet as possible though and speak to him softly when you do see him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

subgeniuszero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

Just to let everyone know that Kitty Boy is doing fine now in his new home. He still goes to his hiding spot now and then to chill out for a while, but the day I moved all his stuff in there, a few hours later he was poking his nose out to investigate, and now spends most of his day out and about in the rest of the apartment. He ignores the cat tree, though; it may be because he's a very big boy (a tad overweight, I think( and doesn't like to do a whole lot of jumping. (Though that doesn't stop him if there's a windowsill he wants to get into!)

He's a wonderful cat; I couldn't ask for a sweeter, more affectionate boy than him. He head-butts anything and everything -- including me! -- and will sit and rub against me forever if I let him. He loves belly rubs, and will flop over for one if you reach for him. He's not aggressive at all, and loves to have his ears and chin scritched. And thus far, he's not gone outside the litter-box a single time (it was the old cat's, so I was worried). He does move kind of slowly, but that may just be his size; he was so big the folks at the Humane Society gave me a nice new carrier to put him in, because they said he would've broken the cardboard one they usually give out.

One thing, though ... so far (we're on Day 3 now), he doesn't seem to like his toys very much. I can sort of understand that. He is still new to the apartment, and the toys did belong to the other cat; I gave him one today and he just sort of looked at it, blinked, then looked at me, as if to say, "What the heck am I supposed to do with this?" I gave him a little catnip, but mostly it just made him roll around on the floor a bunch.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Older cats, like older men, don't like the same toys they did when they were little, and vigorous play is often out of the question. A feather toy (like "Da Bird") is usually pretty popular and get the largest cats to frolic a little. Once he is settled in and comfortable, a lower-calorie food might be in order.

So glad to hear he's doing well now! We have cats like that all the time at the shelter, and it breaks my heart when one is euthanized just because no one needed another couch potato with a purr and a snuggle.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Older cats, like older men, don't like the same toys they did when they were little, and vigorous play is often out of the question. A feather toy (like "Da Bird") is usually pretty popular and get the largest cats to frolic a little. Once he is settled in and comfortable, a lower-calorie food might be in order.
I love that explanation, Mike!

rewboss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by subgeniuszero

He loves belly rubs, and will flop over for one if you reach for him.
A cat usually has to have a lot of trust in you before he'll let you rub his belly. Even if he just shows you his belly, that's a vote of confidence. Sounds like he knows he's come to the right place.

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My one cat used to hide under my bed when the new dog was first brought home...he'd hide in just such a spot that I couldn't reach him with my hands and I had to poke him with a yard stick to get him out. Otherwise, he'd sit under there for 12+ hours and was most likely relieving himself under there too. So I just blocked off all access to under the bed and he learned to use the basement instead.

Glad to hear he's doing better, though. He sounds a lot like my fat cat who will throw himself and roll around for whoever is within eyeshot. And mine don't play with their toys either, though Fat Cat will occasionally bring me a mouse from the basement. Or like yesterday I caught a bug in a jar and let the cats watch it and they were batting the jar all over the room. It's weird what will get them up off their bums to play.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are doing well with him and he is getting used to things.

How old was the other kitty?

A young cat (months to maybe even a couple of years old) will generally transition more easily to a new home than on older cat (of course, there are exceptions to every rule too). A 6 year old cat is probably not going to play with toys like a young cat would. For instance: Juno is 5 months old and she will literally sit and bat at my other cats' tails for fun! Blue, on the other hand, is 14 years old and the only thing he will "play" with now is a laser light. Occasionally he will bat a jingle ball around, but only by himself. He no longer plays with the other cats at all and if they try, he growls to let them know he is old and not interested. Rex and Chloe are 1 an 1.5 yrs, respectively, and they will both play and romp, but are already much more laid back that Juno who is wide open all the time. Age makes a big difference and so does weight (even though I don't have any overweight cats, my heavier male plays less than my lighter female who is the same age). And, believe it or not, my outdoor kitties are the most playful of all of them! Momma will shoot across the yard and run 10 feet up a tree without one pause or hesitation!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that before most of us had THE CAT SITE....we made these same mistakes as well. And our cats survived. It's a lot like having children. We don't do it perfectly, but we do it with love, and it usually works out in the end.
Don't beat yourself up.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Psh, six years old ain't nothing. :p

I'd say it's most likely his weight that is holding him back. Most cats in general are a bit overweight, and you can visibly Notice it, well, then there's your problem.

My cat was 4 1/2ish when I got him, and 22lbs and boy was he a couch potato.
But once I got him better food, and figured out what toys he liked (trial and error my friend), he shed 6lbs and is a much more playful kitty. (Maybe too much at night when I'm trying to sleep, grr..)

Whatever you decide to do, don't buy 'diet' or 'light' food, it won't help him out in the least. No indoor either, just plain old Adult cat food will be best. You can get more information in the Nutrition section of the forum.

subgeniuszero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, better food is certainly an option. They were feeding him Science Diet dried food at the shelter, and even gave me a bag of it when I took him home, but because I wanted to spoil him a little bit, I've been feeding him Friskies "Meaty Bits" wet food, and boy does he eat it up like candy. I also give him catnip treats, which he seems to like. I've slipped him catnip a few times, but mostly it just makes him roll around on the floor and paddle at the air, and bunny-kick me if I try to pet his tummy while he's "kitty high." :loll:

The toys he ignores are the squeaky mouse, and the feather-ball; I've tried playing a game of "Look, my hand is a RODENT! GIT IT boy!" But although he does track my hand like it's a rodent when I do this, he mainly just sort of looks at me and blinks with this face that says, "You're kidding me, right?"

For some reason, though he is extremely affectionate (he's always underfoot or flipping over for me to pet his belly, which he absolutely loves),he doesn't really "do" kitty-kisses. Can't figure out why, though. He also mostly ignores the cat-tree, though I suspect its because given his massive size, it's too small a scale for him; he can't fit in the little house, and because he's so big, he needs more room than its ledges provide. He's not a big "scratcher" at all, so he doesn't really have a need for the rope-posts on it, but I suspect that given time, he will be.

One question I had is this -- On Wednesday, I'm expecting a lot of company, like five or six people. How should I handle introductions so he doesn't freak the heck out?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put him in his "safe room" with the door open a little bit, and let him get curious enough to come out on his own.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by subgeniuszero

Well, better food is certainly an option. They were feeding him Science Diet dried food at the shelter, and even gave me a bag of it when I took him home, but because I wanted to spoil him a little bit, I've been feeding him Friskies "Meaty Bits" wet food, and boy does he eat it up like candy. I also give him catnip treats, which he seems to like. I've slipped him catnip a few times, but mostly it just makes him roll around on the floor and paddle at the air, and bunny-kick me if I try to pet his tummy while he's "kitty high." :loll:

The toys he ignores are the squeaky mouse, and the feather-ball; I've tried playing a game of "Look, my hand is a RODENT! GIT IT boy!" But although he does track my hand like it's a rodent when I do this, he mainly just sort of looks at me and blinks with this face that says, "You're kidding me, right?"

For some reason, though he is extremely affectionate (he's always underfoot or flipping over for me to pet his belly, which he absolutely loves),he doesn't really "do" kitty-kisses. Can't figure out why, though. He also mostly ignores the cat-tree, though I suspect its because given his massive size, it's too small a scale for him; he can't fit in the little house, and because he's so big, he needs more room than its ledges provide. He's not a big "scratcher" at all, so he doesn't really have a need for the rope-posts on it, but I suspect that given time, he will be.

One question I had is this -- On Wednesday, I'm expecting a lot of company, like five or six people. How should I handle introductions so he doesn't freak the heck out?
What can you afford? If the answer is Friskies, I'd honestly rather see him eat that than Science Diet (yuck!) any day. Just be aware that if you decide to switch to a better food in the future, (Innova, Wellness, Before Grain, etc) it may be difficult because of the artificial flavors in Friskies. Kind of like getting a kid to eat broccoli instead of McDonalds. :p

Even just rolling around on the floor and waving his legs is good for an overweight kitty. I approve of catnip once weekly.

Whatever you do, do Not use your hand as a toy. You don't want him sneaing up on you when you are not suspected it and giving it a good chomp. Hands can never be toys!

Can you afford a bigger cat tree for him?

Just give him a nice quiet room away from everyone to chill in if he wants to, and he'll come out and intrduce himself if he feel comfortable. You can call him out if you like though.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How did it work out with the company visiting? Is the big guy settling in, now?

subgeniuszero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, when my friend Tonya came over I introduced the two of them, and he immediately head-butted her hand and legs and wove around her feet purring. Then he got in her lap when she sat down, and purred as he was petted profusely. Then our young friend Michael came over, and Kitty Boy sniffed him, but ... just then ... Michael's bike crashed to the floor in the entryway and scared Kitty Boy into hiding for about two hours. In the meantime, Mike and Ricky and their friend Levi came over too, (Tonya's sons), and we all played Dungeons & Dragons for about three hours, most of which Kitty Boy was absent from -- too much noise, too many new smells and peoples -- being tucked safely in his hidey-spot in the box springs. BUT, about halfway through the game, he came out, tentatively at first, and everybody made over him and cooed to him; he then skulked around the table, getting petted profusely by everyone, and purring the whole time, and being Curious Kitty. He especially liked the polyhedral dice on the table; they're fun to bat around. :-)

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my sister, her husband, and kids came over a couple Thanksgivings ago (there were 10 of them total) you should have seen Wessie! The poor cat hid the whole time.
Your cat sounds totally normal, and don't worry about the toys. Wessie only like certain kinds himself! It really is just the cat's opinion.