Help me with this ailing mom and her seven babies!

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am taking care of this stray cat who had babies and she now has mastitis. It's really gross but I'm keeping a close eye on it and sending photos to my vet to see if it looks normal. Which is wild cause it totally looks crazy but the vet says it is healing like it should.

I am made this GoFundMe so I can afford to bring her to get an operation if necessary, her shots and neutered, and any supplies I may need for the kittens.

Here's the link, any help is appreciated.
Help dotty get mastitis fixed!, organized by Joe Hanson

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Note that this reminder is posted in all threads asking for donations and is not directed at any specific person.

From the Mods:
To all members, a reminder that it is YOUR responsibility to check out these solicitors to the best of your ability. Ask for references, phone numbers, call around the area and find out if this is a legitimate cause or a scam. Thecatsite.com does not stand behind any solicitation of funds for any reason that appear in the forums unless explicitly authorized. Be very careful before you send any money: no matter how effective the plea is, check it out first before opening your wallet. For more information, see Pleas for Money

PoeTheBombayCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am taking care of this stray cat who had babies and she now has mastitis. It's really gross but I'm keeping a close eye on it and sending photos to my vet to see if it looks normal. Which is wild cause it totally looks crazy but the vet says it is healing like it should.

I am made this GoFundMe so I can afford to bring her to get an operation if necessary, her shots and neutered, and any supplies I may need for the kittens.

Here's the link, any help is appreciated.
Help dotty get mastitis fixed!, organized by Joe Hanson
Thank you for caring for this cat 🐈 and her babies 🙏❤You’re an earthly angel

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally got my check and sent what I could, You must be exhausted caring for those tinies while attending to Dotty. The babies are colorful, adorable chonks - perhaps you can post in your other thread and tell us what/how you feed (formula/type of nursing nipples - maybe Miracle Nipples?)
mom cat is getting over infection and she cries when nursing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I now can afford to bring her to the vet for testing if I need to! Thanks to all for the help so far!!! I still need to raise money for the shots both dotty and the kittens need though!
Her mastitis wound is doing well. She has two necrotic tissue bits that are starting to peel away and the gaping area looks to be shrinking a little in size.
PXL_20220908_030837104.jpg
WARNING: SEVERE MASTITIS PICTURE. But her fur is starting to soften with the urgent care hills science diet wet food I have been feeding her. My parents (they live a few blocks away) and I appreciate all the outpouring of donations from here and elsewhere!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor girl. Without a doubt, you have saved her life, and the lives of her kittens. I wish only the best for ALL of you!

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PXL_20220909_204302407.jpg
WARNING: STILL GROSS!
All the necrotic tissue areas have fallen off! The region is shrinking and looks pretty good, and gross, and I'm trying to keep it clean! The kittens are all jerks and knead near and on her wound so she cries when their claws scratch her tissue.
PXL_20220909_204308640.jpg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The region looks excellent! Clean with lots of pink healing tissue. A thin layer of raw coconut oil would probably help healing and feel soothing. You have done an excellent job - even in women, once the tissues go black, mastitis can be lethal. If Dotty can tolerate an infant T-shirt, it may help protect her. Have you clipped the kittens' nail tips yet? You can also give the babies a comfort substitute that is similar to what we use for orphan kittens: a small ticking travel clock under a heated rice-or-cornmeal sock topped with a soft, plush towel or stuffed toy.
Re: coconut oil: I had a semi-feral get savaged by a raccoon and despite oral antibiotics, 2 prescription antibiotic ointments and a very expensive antiviral ointment, her head wounds refused to heal over. Coincidentally, I had burned my foot and the prescription silver sulfadiazine was causing an allergic reaction so I was applying coconut oil to my foot. A small chunk fell on the floor and the cat smelled it and ate it. Since coconut oil is what my vet has me use on bottle babies for constipation and as a diaper rash cream, I put it on the cat's raw sores (she had had to go to the vet to get the edges of the sore debrided and had an appointment for more of the same painful treatment). By morning, the sores had skinned over and by late afternoon, the first signs of hair growth appeared. She quickly healed after that, using only coconut oil topically and internally. The vet said that she was amazed but not surprised.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, man, that looks SO much better! I feel for her, with the kittens kneading, but they can't help it. Instinct tells them to do that to help the milk flow. I second the coconut oil suggestion. I've heard of it doing amazing things.