help me with kittens?

sammysosa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has had about 7 or 8 litters not 100% sure i have only had her a year.. well she went into labor this evening around 4 pm she had her first kitten at 4:39 pm i am worried that there are still more kittens in side but I'm not sure her belly still feels like there is more in there. Should i be concerned for her? She has been getting out her basket an eating an using her litter box.... can anyone help me i have never been around a pregnant cat an this is my first time with the labor as well. Thanks so much to anyone that can help me not be so worried!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat has had about 7 or 8 litters not 100% sure i have only had her a year.. well she went into labor this evening around 4 pm she had her first kitten at 4:39 pm i am worried that there are still more kittens in side but I'm not sure her belly still feels like there is more in there. Should i be concerned for her? She has been getting out her basket an eating an using her litter box.... can anyone help me i have never been around a pregnant cat an this is my first time with the labor as well. Thanks so much to anyone that can help me not be so worried!
This situation of unsecurity isnt unusual: is she done and has just some of the usual swellings of the uterus, and perhaps even some gas rolling around the bowels,  OR does she has a pause, and there is still kittens inside?

But the answer is easy, and covers both variations.   You look and observe closely.

If she is OK, not visible problems, happily busying herself with the kittens, everyting according to plane - you can relax.   Be observant, as complications can occur even if everything was OK, but you dont need to panic.   EVEN if you are quite sure there is still one left, waiting for its turn.   Long pauses arent that unusual.

Some red colored discharges are rather common - THAT may be tricky to decide if its much or just some few drops

But if you notice any problems, fever, much and bloody discharges,  etc - contact your vet asap, and be ready to rush her in...

Here it seems she is OK etc, and its most probably some remaining swellings.  They will go down soon.

And please, do spay her when she is done with the weaning.

Also, as she had so many pregnancies, and probably didnt had first rate care nor nourishment, this means her reserves are very thin.  So thin every pregnancy and every litter is a real danger for her life, not to mention her health.   Her skeleton being emptied from its calcium reserves..

Thus, be sure you give her first rate nourishment, and also, lotsa of extra calcium.   Some nice  vitamine paste is also useful.

Normally a healthy mom having good food, doesnt need extra calcium.   But she surely does need.

How many kittens are born, btw?

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammysosa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has only had one so far still..... an she is not my cat its my roommates but i take better car of her then they do... an she is a very fat cat so i do not think she is in danger of her life... she is a indoor outdoors cat.... she would rather be out side then in just saying she actually has a great diet since i came around she is very healthy an has been to the vet an has all her shots... she gets taken good care of... but thanks for the help i think its gonna be just one kitten this litter.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Writing!
She has only had one so far still..... an she is not my cat its my roommates but i take better car of her then they do... an she is a very fat cat so i do not think she is in danger of her life... she is a indoor outdoors cat.... she would rather be out side then in just saying she actually has a great diet since i came around she is very healthy an has been to the vet an has all her shots... she gets taken good care of... but thanks for the help i think its gonna be just one kitten this litter.
Her being fat is better than her being emaciated.  But being fat is no quarantee she had good food.  Perhaps even the opposite.  If she gets as food cheap dry cat food, containing lotsa of carbohydrates, alike cereals -  they will get fat on the carbos.

The modern nutritionists says much carbos arent good for humans, compare with the LCHF  diet.

And cats are made for the LCHF!!!  Lotsa proteins and fats, and just a little carbos.   While the cheap dry foods does the opposite... 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammysosa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she eats science diet and canned wet food... plus tuna when she wants it.. she is a very healthy cat despite all of these litters...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well she eats science diet and canned wet food... plus tuna when she wants it.. she is a very healthy cat despite all of these litters...
Ah!   OK!   Im happy to hear it isnt as I feared.  Sometimes its really nice  to be wrong, no?    :)

So its just the spaying  when the proper time comes, which is left.   I mean, even if she were a purebred queen of a serious breeder, she would be taken out of the run, and get her senior ciitzen status at this point.  Its very unusual they get more than 6-7  litters.    And being healthy, always with good food, excellent care, full vet service including full insurance, they COULD get more litters, without problems.   But they dont need.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Stefan. This poor kitty is either always pregnant or nursing, not to mention so many kittens to give away. Can you discuss spaying with your roommate? It would be best for the cat's long-term health.

So glad she has a good diet! And probably thanks to you, a caring room mate who pays attention. Has she had anymore? Since she is fat, it may be hard to tell if there are more inside. Sometimes cats are a bit lumpy after giving birth as well, just like human moms can be.

As Stefan said, if she is acting normally there is nothing to worry about. :)