Help Me Solve My Cat Peeing Problems

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

My cat is now 2.5 years old. I have two cats, but only one with this problem. I've read articles from general internet searching and those posted here after searching other people's peeing issues (such as How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide and Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet).

My problem is not unlike the post here Cat Keeps Peeing!!!

I have one cat that was so good up until almost 6 months when she started to go crazy peeing everywhere. This was right before her surgery to get spayed. It has been problems ever since. I asked the vet and she wasn't in heat before the surgery. So I wonder why she went crazy peeing right before. Is that normal for a female cat to do that before she goes in heat? To suddenly pee everywhere? It made me wonder about whether she might have some remnant ovaries that is causing this peeing outside the litter box issue. I haven't gotten this checked since it's quite expensive and I'm not sure I need to do this. She hasn't shown any signs of being in heat. Every once in a while she'll want to hide in a dark corner of the house for some reason and sometimes when she acts weird like that she might pee somewhere outside the litterbox. But other times, she'll be normal and still do it.

The problem is that she isn't avoiding the litter box entirely. She'll go more often than not and then once a week or a few weeks, she'll suddenly decide to pee somewhere. She'll go into the litterbox 90% of the time. This problem is only for her peeing. She poops in the litterbox. It could be my bed, or my office. I can't understand what is causing this at all. No disruptions in the environment, no changes, she'll just decide to pee somewhere else.

She's been doing this ever since she was 6 months old to now. She's 2.5 years old now. I have tried so many thing. I visited the doctor and they said she had no urine issues and only suggested to me things that I have already tried. I tried buying different litterboxes, using Feliway, those pheromone collars. I bought litter attract and that didn't seem to do much good. I clean the litter boxes several times a day. I fear that it has become a behavioural issue outside of any medical ones (which she didn't have any according to the doctor).

Someone suggested locking her in with the litterbox to retrain her to go only in the box. It'll didn't really help much. She'll be ok and then she goes back to peeing outside the litterbox every so often again. Maybe I didn't do it long enough? How long should I have done this?

What else can I do to retrain her to pee only in the litterbox? I am out of ideas. Is it possible that some cats simply aren't trainable? Would hiring a cat behaviorist help?

Edit: I should add that my other cat has no issues and they get along very well. They are often sleeping together so I don't think it's an issue there.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you list all the places she will pee? It could be a territory thing.
You said it started before she was spayed? When it started, I wonder if there was a male coming around outside, or just another cat or animal altogether. If it's a neighborhood cat or stray, they could still be coming around causing her to feel threatened. Try and be on the lookout for any animals that might be paying you a visit. Try spraying an animal deterrent around the perimeter of your home, especially around windows and doors and also in any flower beds and such where an animal or cat might like to use as a litter box. We had that problem before, and when the cat quit coming around, my cat quit peeing out of the box. I will add though that we used a bit of a different method on top of using the deterrent around the yard......I got my husband to "mark his territory" :biggrin: around the basement windows that the neighborhood cat was spraying, causing mine to be very upset. Not only did it deter the other cat from marking over my husbands "I'm a bigger animal than you" scent, but my cat would then smell my husband and not a stranger outside. You might not smell an intruder, but your cat will. And just because your other's pretty chill, not all cats are as territorial as others so your other cat might not care what's going on outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you list all the places she will pee? It could be a territory thing.
You said it started before she was spayed? When it started, I wonder if there was a male coming around outside, or just another cat or animal altogether. If it's a neighborhood cat or stray, they could still be coming around causing her to feel threatened. Try and be on the lookout for any animals that might be paying you a visit. Try spraying an animal deterrent around the perimeter of your home, especially around windows and doors and also in any flower beds and such where an animal or cat might like to use as a litter box. We had that problem before, and when the cat quit coming around, my cat quit peeing out of the box. I will add though that we used a bit of a different method on top of using the deterrent around the yard......I got my husband to "mark his territory" :biggrin: around the basement windows that the neighborhood cat was spraying, causing mine to be very upset. Not only did it deter the other cat from marking over my husbands "I'm a bigger animal than you" scent, but my cat would then smell my husband and not a stranger outside. You might not smell an intruder, but your cat will. And just because your other's pretty chill, not all cats are as territorial as others so your other cat might not care what's going on outside.
Hi Jem. So far she has peed only on my bed, office and one of the cat bed cushions. It used to be more places but in the last few months only those places. I am in a high rise and they are indoor cats only so no issues with neighboring pets.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has your schedule changed at all? Are you home less than before? She might be trying to blend scents with you.

Does she have enough high places to hang out? It could still be a territory/security thing. Even though your cats get along, does not mean there is not a constant battle for dominance going on between them. The other one could be bullying her from using the litter box also.

Last edited:

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has your schedule changed at all? Are you home less than before? She might be trying to blend scents with you.

Does she have enough high places to hang out? It could still be a territory/security thing. Even though your cats get along, does not mean there is not a constant battle for dominance going on between them. The other one could be bullying her from using the litter box also.
My schedule hasn’t changed. I don’t have too many high places for them. I have a window box but she doesn’t really use it. What sort of high places should I be thinking of incorporating? He does sometimes chase her around. Not sure how to stop that. It looks like playing to me though.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry you're dealing with litter box issues. Have you cleaned the places where she has peed with an enzyme cleaner. They are the only cleaners that will totally remove the urine scent. Here's a few articles with more info:

How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions

Also, how many litter boxes do you have? Are they all in the same areas? Or spread throughout your home?
Yea I've thoroughly cleaned all the places with enzyme cleaner and I have two in different places. Thanks for the links.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What kind of food does she eat? One member has a cat that pees outside the litter box if he doesn't get enough canned food.

Also, are they any stray cats in your neighbourhood she might be seeing or hearing?

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of food does she eat? One member has a cat that pees outside the litter box if he doesn't get enough canned food.

Also, are they any stray cats in your neighbourhood she might be seeing or hearing?
I feed her wet canned food as well as Hill Oral Care.

That is very interesting as I wonder if that has been the issue. She wants to eat and so she pees. I will try to feed her more and see if this makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestion!

I live in a high rise and no pets on my floor.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think with the other member's cat, it's that when he doesn't eat enough canned food, he's not getting enough water/liquid, and it causes the outside the box issues. But more canned food can't hurt, so it's certainly worth a try.

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think with the other member's cat, it's that when he doesn't eat enough canned food, he's not getting enough water/liquid, and it causes the outside the box issues. But more canned food can't hurt, so it's certainly worth a try.
Ahh. That might be a different issue then. I'll still give it a try.