Help Me Please

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BigOrangeMenace

I think it is crap for the vets to take money from you.. I mean.. they couldnt even properly tell you what it was!! and they gave you some medicine that most liekly wasnt even going to help? I would go back and demand my money, or make them treat my cats for free...

that is crap.. you shouldnt have to pay if they couldnt even diagnose what your cats had

they are vets for craps sake!! This is a common disease! If they cant tell then they should go back to school!!
Demand money from the vet? LOL.
You have a better chance of being abducted by aliens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cabbit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Maybe they were poisoned??? I dont think there is anydisease they could all get at one time!!! OMG IF SOMEONE POISONED YOUR CATS I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL COME DOWN THERE AND KICK THEIR CAT HATING @SSES MYSELF EVEN THOUGH I DONT EVEN REALLY KNOW YOU!!!

I'm sorry.. I didnt read all of the page before I posted.. I was sure your cats had been poisoned until I read the rest of the page.... If I lost both my cats... I would lay curled up in a corner and they would have to have me committed... you are so brave for not only being able to move, but being able to post! If I had lost four kitties I would have no more will to live.
That's what we thought too and it could be because we have a bad neiborg who hates us and alot of people in the building hate cats.

I didn't eat for 3 days after my babies died. I felt so helpless and guilty..

Is there any way you and your mom get the others to the vet? Wow, at this point I think you need to do your best to save the 2 that are not showing any symptoms right now. Call every vet in town and explain to them the situation, see if they will work with you as far as payment. Maybe they will hold a check for some time. Try everything you can think of. You aren't going to be able to save them at home I am so sorry this is happening to you, I can not imagine how I would handle something like this
Yes thankfully my mother's friend found a hospital that lets people pay in monthly payments if they can't pay right away. But i don't know what to tell the vet.

I would ask the vet if it's helpful to vaccinate the cats against distempher even if they already been exposed. At least maybe you could vaccinate the ones that look healthy if the vet says it might help?
That's what we want to do and we couldn't because of the Hospital cost but now we are , if they vet says it's ok. My mom was asking this too. I hope we can so the rest can be saved. I don't know what i will do if i lose one more of my beautiful babies

I think it is crap for the vets to take money from you.. I mean.. they couldnt even properly tell you what it was!! and they gave you some medicine that most liekly wasnt even going to help? I would go back and demand my money, or make them treat my cats for free...
I know
We felt so helpless .

No. A vaccination will not help a cat that's been exposed. The incubation period for the disease is shorter than the time it takes for the vaccination to become infected. In fact, if a vet knows a cat has been exposed, they should refuse to vaccinate.
But its been like a week now and they seem much better. Is it possible to vaccinate them now? I heard that when they get immune to the virus they get better . Is this what happend to my babies?

I miss Tiger , Maquilla , Jerry , and Toby so much!! Everytime i look at their pictures i remember and start crying.
But then i think that there in the Rainbow Bridge with all their pals having a good time and checking over us down here. Rest in peace!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cabbit

I heard that when they get immune to the virus they get better .
If they get sick and then get better, they will be immune. If they are exposed and don't get sick they are just lucky, and they will still need to be vaccinated. I don't know when that will be, but not until they're not at risk to get sick any more.

Best wishes.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would tell the vet exactly what you have said here. I too thought of poison as soon as I read your first post, but was persuaded by the experts that perhaps it was a virus. But you need to protect the ones you have left, either by vaccination or by keeping them inside until you are sure of the cause. I am so sorry and I hope you can save the remaining kits. May I ask why your neighbours all hate cats? It it because they think your cats are a nuisance, or the building smells or they make noise? Maybe if you find the reason you can compromise or try to put the problem right? I am not saying your cats are making a problem, whatever it is, but there may be a bad perception.

june

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it was distemper you may never be able to introduce another pet into your household without he/she' first being vaccinated against distemper and ample time given for the animal's body to develop an immunity against the virus in a place that is not already harbouring the virus. . Sometimes that takes a month or more.To introduce a pet into your household that has just been vaccinated doesn't leave enough time for the immunity to develop and the virus can infect the pet before that happens. According to my findings, the virus is highly contagious. Cats can harbor the virus inside their gastrointestinal tract and shed it in their feces. The virus can live for a long time in the environment outside so it can be tracked all over as cats move in and out of the litterbox. It's also very resistant to disinfectants so cats and kittens can come into contact with the virus and to ingest it.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
maybe you could get the vet to do an autopsy on one of the cat that already died? I don't know how expensive that would be but it might be the best way to find out what is going on.

I'm really sorry to hear about what you are going through. Keep us updated on how the cats are doing.

aquiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i cant even begin to imagine what your going thru.
my heart breaks for you.
good luck!

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Firstly, I am so sorry for your loss!

If you can afford it, have a necropsy to make sure what exactly killed them. And why did the vet not know this in the first place and send them home, knowing you had other cats there. Especially small kittens who have so little to fight with. Once they stop eating, they have no resources and need to be forcefed by you or thru IV's. I just do not understand any of this. If it was distemper - hard to imagine in indoor cats only - I think this vet was not doing the right thing. Poor babies!! You might also want to find out how they became infected and make sure it never occurs again!!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

that is crap.. you shouldnt have to pay if they couldnt even diagnose what your cats had

they are vets for craps sake!! This is a common disease! If they cant tell then they should go back to school!!
How is it the vets fault that her cats got an illness that could have been prevented by vaccinations? Do you think vets enjoy seeing animals with a possibly preventable disease? The vet did what they could, with their best idea for what the illness was.

Garfield's brother Odie died of distemper 4-5 days after we got them. The only reason Garfield and his mother Tigger survived was that Odie had necropsy done, so they knew for sure how to treat Garfield and Tigger. She needed blood transfusions! It is not something that is very easy to recover from.

I am very sorry for you and your cats, Cabbit. Definitely keep in close contact with the vet. This is just heartbreaking. I hope some of your cats will get well!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet did what they could
No, I'm sorry, I have to disagree with this to a certain extent. The vet provided treatment, but the vet did not provide explanation, education and enlightenment. The vet was remiss. It's the duty of a health-care professional to tell a patient WHY. This vet didn't even go so far as to say WHAT. This vet provided minimum-level service, in my opinion. This vet could have, should have done more. The vet could have been more sympathetic and empathetic. The vet could have explained what cabbit was dealing with. The vet could have detailed steps to take to prevent spread of infection. The vet could have educated cabbit on proper vaccination. And more. That's the way I see it, at any rate.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

No, I'm sorry, I have to disagree with this to a certain extent. The vet provided treatment, but the vet did not provide explanation, education and enlightenment. The vet was remiss. It's the duty of a health-care professional to tell a patient WHY. This vet didn't even go so far as to say WHAT. This vet provided minimum-level service, in my opinion. This vet could have, should have done more. The vet could have been more sympathetic and empathetic. The vet could have explained what cabbit was dealing with. The vet could have detailed steps to take to prevent spread of infection. The vet could have educated cabbit on proper vaccination. And more. That's the way I see it, at any rate.
Well, one thing about vets-they will not do things for free. THey will offer tests, etc, but if a person can not pay them, it won't get done.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh my. You poor thing. I have no idea what to say, but God bless you and all of your cats.

This post has made me aware of this virus. I WILL ask ask my parents if my cats are vacccinated and if not DEMAND that it will be done. We have strays in and out of our back yard all the time and i let my cats back there.