HELP ME PLEASE - Tapeworms again 3rd time in 6 months

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont know-my old vet gave her an injection of??have no idea.

But she had to go back in a couple of weeks for a repeat because of the life cycle of tapeworm.

He said its caused by cats ingesting fleas-or flea infestation.

Flea combs are good-towel on the lap and comb placing any live critters in a glass/bowel of warm soapy water.

wondercats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats get tapeworms from fleas. Fleas can develop a resistance to some products, like Advantage. I don't use Advantage because it has never been successful in flea control in my home. Revolution (Rx only) is a new product that is very safe for cats and probably safer than Advantage or Frontline based on the studies they provide with their instructions. Revolution kills all parasites on or in a cat, including worms. It killed fleas on my kittens within half an hour. I used Frontline the next month because I didn't have a Revolution prescription for cats over 5 pounds. The cats and I got agitated because the fleas started biting aggressively before dying. I am going to stick with Revolution for now. You need to treat all animals in your home, your home, and your yard for three months to effectively break and stop the flea and tapeworm cycles.

wondercats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Revolution formula for dogs marketed outside of the U.S. will kill tapeworms. I don't know why there is not a formula for cats to kill tapeworms. Revolution is a superior product for killing fleas, so using that with a tapeworm remedy should be effective.

The bottom line is to break the flea and tapeworm life-cycle in and around the home and on all animals in the home. Killing tapeworms is not enough. The tapeworms must be killed in the cat, the feces in the home and in the yards must be removed immediately before larvae get on the ground or floor and before the cat comes into contact with the eggs or larvae, and the fleas with their larvae and eggs must be eradicated. The process takes three months.