HELP ME PLEASE! SICK KITTEN PLEASE READ!

pearl7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok.  I have a rescue kitten that was found in a dumpster!!  She was 7 weeks when we got her and now she is ten weeks....

She has never meowed.  She is mute I think.  She has never made a sound.  She had a very bad respiratory infection when we got her and I put her on the L-lysine paste which is an anti-inflammatory for cats and I put her on an antibiotic.  She cleared up fine and has won our hearts.  I'm not even a cat person, I'm allergic to cats, LOL but I'm not allergic to Pearl at all.  I love her!!  She only gets the best food and I'm researching all the time about how to take care of her properly.

She is acting sick again.  Not eating much. Feeding her by hand.  She is sleeping much more than usual and making a wheezing sound.  I called the Vet and they said come in.  The check up is 60.00 and the Leukemia test is 45.00.  Does this sound right?  Do we need the Leukemia test? I don't care about the price if it's necessary to take her in, I just don't know much about cats.

Also she shakes her head alot and scratches her ears.  I rubbed some coconut oil in them and this dirt like stuff came out. I don't see any mites though. 

rawveganwurzel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It does sound like she has ear mites but a visit to a vet is needed either way based on her lethargy .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pearl7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, we are going.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wavey: Thank you so much for rescuing this little girl. You're truly her guardian angel :heart4:

You need to get her to the vet asap. Respiratory issues can go bad quickly in little ones, and she needs veterinary care to get through this. The leukemia test is definitely necessary, as you need to know what illness you're dealing with.

Cats can get sick very quickly just from not eating enough. You're absolutely right to be hand feeding her. The vet may suggest that you try Hills a/d or Royal Canin Recovery food until she's able to eat on her own. These foods are very nutrient dense, and are designed for syringe feeding to sick kitties. They're also formulated to be extra yummy and tempting too, to help encourage the cat to eat on his/her own again.

Head shaking and scratching could be a sign of an ear infection or ear mites (or both, for that matter). Make sure the vet checks her ears too.

For future reference, it's always better to give medication prescribed by a vet than to try and treat infections by yourself at home...especially with kittens. It's all too easy to get things wrong, or misdiagnose. There's a reason that vets spend years at school learning their 'trade' ;)

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with Columbine Columbine . She has given very good advice!

Your kitten sounds like she may have pneumonia. She needs a strong, broad spectrum antibiotic like clavamox drops for 10 days. Pneumonia is very serious. Your kitten may have fever.

In the meantime, you can run a hot shower to make the bathroom steamy, then sit holding her for 5-10 minutes to let the steam help to ease the wheezing.

When she feels better she will eat better!

She also needs to be treated for ear mites.

Thank you for rescuing her!

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Ok.  I have a rescue kitten that was found in a dumpster!!  She was 7 weeks when we got her and now she is ten weeks....

She has never meowed.  She is mute I think.  She has never made a sound.  She had a very bad respiratory infection when we got her and I put her on the L-lysine paste which is an anti-inflammatory for cats and I put her on an antibiotic.  She cleared up fine and has won our hearts.  I'm not even a cat person, I'm allergic to cats, LOL but I'm not allergic to Pearl at all.  I love her!!  She only gets the best food and I'm researching all the time about how to take care of her properly.

She is acting sick again.  Not eating much. Feeding her by hand.  She is sleeping much more than usual and making a wheezing sound.  I called the Vet and they said come in.  The check up is 60.00 and the Leukemia test is 45.00.  Does this sound right?  Do we need the Leukemia test? I don't care about the price if it's necessary to take her in, I just don't know much about cats.

Also she shakes her head alot and scratches her ears.  I rubbed some coconut oil in them and this dirt like stuff came out. I don't see any mites though. 
How are you doing now today?

I want t mention this with coconut oil into the ear.  Its a nice home remedy, and may sometimes help against non severe mite infections.  So good you began with  this. But it wont help against a severe infection...

So I hope you went to this vet, and got help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pearl7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. She's great! We went to the vet yesterday. She has an upper respiratory infection. Got antibiotics, ear treatment, some of the canned super nutrient C/d cans, and eye drops. Got the feline leuk test but no shots due to illness, Shes playing well!!!!!