Help me please, kittens found

topkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Searching the web, I came across this board & signed up. I have this almost exact same scenario. I found an orphan feral runt kitten in my backyard in August. He was out in the rain and sounded so pitiful! I brought him in the house and jumped on the web to find out anything I could about raising orphan kittens.
Well, he seems to be really thriving (I took him to the vet on 9/19 and he weighed .6 of a lb. and he had doubled his weight from when I found him!) but I noticed he was a "wobbly" kitten. I thought at first it was just him learning to walk, but I realized it wasn't getting any better and I'm pretty sure it's a cerebellar problem. He also has a hard time judging distance when jumping. I appreciate all the info here, esp. about getting vaccinations & neutering. I will definately tell the vet of my suspicions on his next appt. so nothing happens to my baby. The board looks good and I'll be looking around to get some more tips. Thanks!

As a baby:

Last week:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbarstow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
Welcome to the group! I know you will love it here as much as I do. One of the posters there, provided me with this information that you may find helpful:

Cerebellar hypoplasia is a condition caused by a mother cat contracting distemper (panleukopenia) while pregnant. Depending on what stage in the pregnancy she is affected, the kittens may be aborted, stillborn, or cerebellar babies at birth. The developing fetuses cerebellum (which controls balance) is affected by the virus that the unvaccinated mother contracts. Many adult cats are capable of fighting off the panleukopenia virus, and are immune for life after. The kittens however are not immune to the virus and need proper vaccines to prevent panleukopenia, and upper respiratory viruses that can be deadly. This is also known as an F.V.R.C.P vaccine. They are not in any way contagious to other cats in the household, as they don't have the virus, but have been affected via the mother cat. Cerebellar kitties live a normal long life but need to be protected from dangers outside as they lack the coordination normal cats have. They can't run from cars and dogs like other cats, and should never be allowed outside. Also cerebellar kitties should never be declawed (or any other cat for that matter) as they depend on their claws to help pull themselves up things such as stairs. A nail trim of only the sharp nail tip is fine. They are very determined little cats, and often as they get older, they learn more about what they are capable of, and are quite surprising! Cerebellar hypoplasia is very similar to muscular dystrophy in humans as CH kitties tend to walk like they have fly-paper stuck to their feet, and many have head tremors. They have the capability of winning over many hearts of people who adopt these special kitties and are a joy to have. Thank you for adopting a special needs kitty as these are often the last ones to get homes, and many are euthanised needlessly all over the world. Congratulations you will have that little paw firmly wrapped around your hearts in no time! (caretaker and doting slave to several cerebellar cats)

This site has extremely caring and wonderful people who post. Ask any question and I am sure you will find an answer.

Sherry

topkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info! I have never raised an orphan kitten before, so I'm sure I will be back with more questions. I am going to check out the CH board you wrote about...thanks again.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Topcat and welcome

How wonderful of you to rescue this precious little kitty - and a cute black one at that!! hehe I am quite partial to black kitties
and your one is simply adorable!!!
Thankyou for all your doing.

If you have further questions its a good idea to start your own thread in the relevant area so that then your queries can be looked at individually.

We are so glad that you joined us though and we hope that all your questions can be answered as by our members and that we can help you all you need - whats your kitties name btw?
your kitty is lucky that you brought him in from the cold that day !!