Help me, please? Cheap clumping litter recommendations needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Off topic, but to help yourself buy a cheap dust mask and wear it while cleaning. It will give your sinuses a bit of a break.
Do they make them in little kitty sizes? We could ask the kits to don one before entering the litter box, so breathing in the dust won't bother their little lungs.

Actually, that's a good idea, Karen.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Do they make them in little kitty sizes? We could ask the kits to don one before entering the litter box, so breathing in the dust won't bother their little lungs.
Raven would probably appreciate that.
Poor guy.

I'm going to give Feline Pine Scoop another try, it had no dust and is cheap (plus target sent me a coupon). And we're going to try World's Best Cat Litter. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought a 40 lb bag of Tidy Cats (regular multi-cat, the red label) today at PetsMart for just $7.
That is definitely going to save me money - I was buying the A&H at $10-12 for 30-35 lbs depending on sales and the store I went to.

That's close to a 50% savings - which will go toward the additional cat food I'll need to buy to feed Max. At 8 months old, he is already 10.5 lbs and growing - his grandsire was a 25 lb boy!

I'm a happy camper now. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, folks!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Betsy, is the stuff in the bag clumping? cause I have looked and looked and I have never been able to find clumping in a bag!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Betsy, is the stuff in the bag clumping? cause I have looked and looked and I have never been able to find clumping in a bag!
OMG!!! It is so NOT clumping!

Man...now I gotta go return it...well, Walmart is next door to PetsMart, so I guess I'll return it and go buy a bag of Special Kitty instead.

Phooey!

Katie, I'm REALLY glad you said something!!!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just going to mention something, I'm glad you caught it. The best prices I've seen on Tidy Cats are at Target, for the 38 lb bonus bucket-usually about $11.99 It goes on sale in a cycle, usually once a month.

The way Mike's apartment hunting has been going I might be stuck with cheaper litter.
Apparently the city we're moving back to bulldozed a lot of older rentals and put up high price new complexes.

I'm not going below Tidy Cats level though. The dust on our ceiling fan (what I'm cleaning this afternoon) is gross & smiles like "kitty litter floral" scent.
I only used Tidy Cats a couple times this year, so I know it wasn't TC causing the dust. I used a lot of whatever was cheapest in the last year.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Man...now I gotta go return it...well, Walmart is next door to PetsMart, so I guess I'll return it and go buy a bag of Special Kitty instead.

Phooey!

glad I could help! I really don't understand why they don't have clumping in bags- maybe cause any moisture will cause it to clump like a rock?

On the subject of clumping in bags, I found this Soft Paw stuff at Marc's (a discount store) that's clumping in a bag- anybody ever use that?

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

glad I could help! I really don't understand why they don't have clumping in bags- maybe cause any moisture will cause it to clump like a rock?

On the subject of clumping in bags, I found this Soft Paw stuff at Marc's (a discount store) that's clumping in a bag- anybody ever use that?
I have a Marc's near me and will pick up Soft Paw tonight. I currently use Tidy Cats Blue and Special Kitty. I scoop twice daily but the litter seems to hold a urine smell. I hope that Soft Paw's is better.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I bought a bag of Special Kitty with crystals after returning the Tidy Cats bag, it is scoopable, so I hope it clumps well.

I think your question above makes sense.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by deljo

I have a Marc's near me and will pick up Soft Paw tonight. I currently use Tidy Cats Blue and Special Kitty. I scoop twice daily but the litter seems to hold a urine smell. I hope that Soft Paw's is better.
I was really tempted, but was nervous
please let me know! it wasn't that expensive

I bought a bag of Special Kitty with crystals after returning the Tidy Cats bag, it is scoopable, so I hope it clumps well.

I think your question above makes sense.
let us know how that is too, Betsy
I usually mix Scoop Away with TC, but if I can get away with cheaper stuff I would love it! I used to use the Premium Choice from Pet Supplies Plus and might go back to that.

But then why are some clumping ones available in bags??
like that Soft Paw and Special Kittty and Premium Choice? I hate throwing those thick plastic buckets away all the time
not too mention that I'm sure that jacks the price up a little

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hate throwing those thick plastic buckets away all the time
not too mention that I'm sure that jacks the price up a little
Yeah - I am a recycler, big time, and it REALLY irks me to have to pay extra for a product simply because of the way it is packaged, knowing that we pay extra for the items to be recycled and reformed/reused. (We pay it in increased product costs.)

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yeah - I am a recycler, big time, and it REALLY irks me to have to pay extra for a product simply because of the way it is packaged, knowing that we pay extra for the items to be recycled and reformed/reused. (We pay it in increased product costs.)
exactly! there's no need for us to have to buy that thick plastic bucket all the time. and with the amount of litter I go thru, that's A LOT of plastic buckets
and the cardboard box packages are smaller, maybe 15 to 20 lbs, and therefore not as price efficicent as the 28 to 35 lbs buckets (at least with the Scoop Away)

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll probably like the Special Kitty. It's pretty decent,especially for a budget litter.

It bugs me that when I buy Tidy Cats and several others it comes in a giant plastic bucket. I also feel bad throwing them out.
I'm pretty torn on what to do litter-wise right now.
I can't take the dust and Raven seems to have gotten more sensitive to the dust from scooping clay litter. My hubby is concerned about what it's done to our lungs.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Phooey!

I'm glad you found out before you opened it! I wish they did sell it in the bags, then I could just refill the bucket from that.

So far, the tidy cat with the red lid is working better than the blue one I was using before

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my dad and my husband use the empty 27 lb plastic buckets for storage (extra sandbox sand will be going in the next one, instead of the big ol' leaking bag it is currently in
), building supplies, grass seed, fertilizer, etc. They would probably be good for Leggos and that kind of stuff too