Help me pick the right cat breed for my future cat.

alant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I want to get a kitten in the future. What sort of breed is best for me? I want it to shed as little as possible as I would not want to have to get hair off my clothes constantly. In terms of meowing, a medium amount would be acceptable for me. I'd like it to be highly independent because I may be out to work for several hours a couple times a week. Grooming should be low maintenance. Playfulness should be decent also. Thanks. If there is no cat that fits this criteria perfectly, just please give me the closest options. thanks again.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, my first thought is that you should actually get an adult cat instead of a kitten. Kittens are very needy, likely to get into some nonsense in your home, and probably louder. You will also get a much better sense of a cat's personality if you adopt an adult.

Characteristics of a breed are common but not at all a rule. I think you'd be best off adopting a cat after you've gotten the change to get to know it a bit. You definitely don't want a cat with long hair, but I don't know of any non-talkative cats that won't shed a lot.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sphynx you have in your avatar is probably the one that sheds the least. I have a domestic short hair, and he sheds enough to fill the vacuum in one room, but I've never noticed fur sticking to my clothes. I think the fabrics we have today don't attract fur very well, and the softner we put in the dryer also makes it stick less. His fur doesn't stick to the furniture, either, and claw marks don't show on the microfiber upholstery.

Most cats don't meow a lot unless something is wrong. And that could be just that they are bored and have nothing to do. They don't meow without a reason. Siamese cats are known for their loud and raucous voices, but I don't think they cry more than any other breed. Meowing should be the least of your concerns; it's fun to talk to your cat, and they get to know a lot of words. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
lol my avatar is actually a devon rex. but i know it looks like a sphynx quite a bit. yeah, i think i will probably get a sphynx, i just need to do some more research. what about devon rexes, do they shed alot?

alant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
do u know if sphynxs are independant

sprin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you'd need your cat to be specifically more independent than normal, since most people leave their cats home alone while they're working and the cats usually do ok. Our cats usually just sleep when we aren't in the house. I second getting an adult though, since kittens can be needier. With an adult you know what you're getting. That said, you're also going to influence the cat's personality as you guys bond, so the cat will probably adapt some habits based on how you like things.

alant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah, i think i will get a sphinx

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sphynx have particular skin care needs, because of not having fur. They're not low-maintenance! They leave oil spots on the furniture instead of fur ;). And definitely get an adult cat or 2 kittens, as a single kitten will need a lot of attention. Whatever breed you like, talk to a lot of breeders about that breed's needs. Never ever buy a kitten from a pet store! A good breeder will answer all your questions.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
how about an older senior kitty at the local shelter? Most of the time they are the first to be put down because no one wants an older kitty. Age 8 and up. I have 2 older kitties-both still hunt and chase toys around the house but they don't get into trouble like my kitten used to.

I don't have any recommendations for breed-I tell people to go visit the cats in the shelter and see what you like. I like to be in the room with them with no one else..i sit on the floor and see who comes over...I tend to ignore the overly friendly cats-I watch the movements of the shy cats-the ones that try to make eye contact with me but are scared are the ones I generally get drawn to. Without the dominate cats around they usually speak to me via their body language....and I will ask to go into a room by ourselves and see if kitty reacts good or bad..but I like a challenge..I tend to adopt older shy kitties.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

So I want to get a kitten in the future. What sort of breed is best for me? I want it to shed as little as possible as I would not want to have to get hair off my clothes constantly. In terms of meowing, a medium amount would be acceptable for me. I'd like it to be highly independent because I may be out to work for several hours a couple times a week. Grooming should be low maintenance. Playfulness should be decent also. Thanks. If there is no cat that fits this criteria perfectly, just please give me the closest options. thanks again.
You are the perfect candidate to work with a rescue. Many of these rescues foster the cats in homes. So the fosters have a good feel for their personalities. Good food, regular grooming and certain hair coats shed less. Every cat owner has a lint roller by the door, in their closet and in the car or purse. Keeping your floors swept and vacuumed along with the furniture. Keeping up makes excess hair minimal. There is no such thing as a maintenance free pet.

An older cat past kittenhood sounds like a good match for you. Breeds may have certain characteristics but personality itself is individual.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Also each kitty reacts differently to different people.

If you want a playful one-I suggest if you go to a shelter to see kitties-bring a shoelace type string-not thin yarn-you don't want them to swallow it-I often pull the drawstrings out of my pants and tie a toy mouse on the end-then I wiggle it around and they pounce on it. I discovered one cat only jumps on things moving underneath the rug or covers-another only chases toys that rattle. and another only likes sticks...so its hard to say what breed is the kind with a medium meow. my 13 year old pumpkin face hardly EVER meows-until its time to take a trip to the vet-then she HOWLS. The other two only meow if I meow at them first. One of them has a very throaty quiet senior meowy type sound. My youngest cat who is almost 5 now=she has done the real loud meows when she wants something and I am teasing her by ignoring her..otherwise she has a soft quiet meow she uses at my boyfriend when she wants treats. You see her mouth open but hardly hear anything but a squeaky meow.

I also have seen cats personality change through the years and various life changes-when we have to move-or move in with or move out someone in the house-or change our sleeping times like working offshift. So many variables...

alant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im not sure yet, to summarize its 3 characteristics I am looking for. They are

Affectionate 

Independant

Minimal Shedding

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As already mentioned, a sphynx needs a lot of maintenance, and it sounds like that won't work for you.  I would suggest a domestic short hair, and a lint roller.

I also agree that a kitten is probably a bad idea.

The best cat for you is the cat that you fall in love with.  Go to a shelter and ask to look at domestic short hairs.  Chances are that one of them will steal your heart.  That's the one to adopt.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

As already mentioned, a sphynx needs a lot of maintenance, and it sounds like that won't work for you.  I would suggest a domestic short hair, and a lint roller.

I also agree that a kitten is probably a bad idea.

The best cat for you is the cat that you fall in love with.  Go to a shelter and ask to look at domestic short hairs.  Chances are that one of them will steal your heart.  That's the one to adopt.

Margret
The only danger with this route is that you may walk out with a long-haired cat that stole your heart, and you won't give a hang about the shedding!   And you will have saved a life.  Should you decide that you want to go the hairless route, that is a fairly high-maintenance, high-energy cat that requires a good bit of interactive play, unless you want hour house to become a jungle gym.  And regular bathing (oil).  And sunscreen.   One of the Rex breeds might do better, and there are Rex rescues that are easily found on-line.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@AlanT, in general I think that purebred cats are both overpriced and, unfortunately, likely to have genetic problems because of the intense inbreeding that goes into their creation and maintenance.  However, I just ran into this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/seven-rare-cat-breeds-you-may-not-know.  Notice number 7, the Sokoke.  It doesn't have the care problems that you'd run into with a true hairless cat, like the Sphynx, but it tends to shed less because of the lack of an undercoat.  Also note the second comment, by Anne, who owns this site.  She says that these are all extremely rare breeds, and therefore you're unlikely to find them in rescue organizations, which goes back to the expense issue.

So then I did a Google search on "does the devon rex have an undercoat," and got this: http://www.katzenzeitung.eu/en/Breeds/devon_rex.html.  The answer is yes, but not much of one, and a Devon Rex is likely to be available from a rescue group.

The only cats who don't shed at all are the true hairless cats, but they require quite a lot of extra care, including regular baths, which I don't believe you want.  I think you need to be looking for breeds with little to no undercoat.  Once you have a list, go to your local rescue organization and ask to look at cats on your list.  It may take a while, but sooner or later you'll find the right cat for you.  However, once again, it's impossible to predict the character traits of any individual cat based solely on breed.  Cats are as individual as humans.  If you adopt a cat based solely on its breed, you're almost certain to be disappointed.  Get to know a few adoptable cats and then adopt the one you fall in love with.  And, again, please don't adopt a kitten.  They need more care than you're prepared to give them, and their personalities aren't yet fully developed.

Margret

Last edited: