Help me name our Champagne Burmese kitten :)

josbd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This has reminded me of a cat naming story. I used to listen to BBC Radio 2 in the early mornings.The DJ was old style BBC, off the wall, different, very funny indeed. Her name was Sarah Kennedy (or Sahara or Bunty Bagshaw, depending on how she was feeling!). Sarah loved cats, and we were often regaled with entertaining stories about her fur babies. Her regular listeners were expected to write or phone in, and add to the amusement factor. We were known as "Dawn Patrollers"...... Basically we were "of a certain age". Sarah referred to this as "owning a brain and not being afraid to use it"! This also meant having a slightly strange and exceedingly dry sense of humour! Anyway, one regular slot was about the naming of cats, the strangest of names and or reasoning behind the name usually merited being featured on the show.

The one I have in mind is about a family who had never had a cat before. And one day somehow they had found a tiny black kitten out in the fiercest of storms, no mother apparent. So they brought her inside, and nursed her until she was well and happy. Apparently this little lady was jet black, long haired etc. They decided to name her "Madame Tussaud" (typical Brit type way of thinking!) The owner wrote that all went very well indeed until spaying time arrived. The lady took the wee one into the vet, and discovered that this was no lady, but a male kitten!

He returned from the vet bearing the name:  Adam Tussaud.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This has reminded me of a cat naming story. I used to listen to BBC Radio 2 in the early mornings.The DJ was old style BBC, off the wall, different, very funny indeed. Her name was Sarah Kennedy (or Sahara or Bunty Bagshaw, depending on how she was feeling!). Sarah loved cats, and we were often regaled with entertaining stories about her fur babies. Her regular listeners were expected to write or phone in, and add to the amusement factor. We were known as "Dawn Patrollers"...... Basically we were "of a certain age". Sarah referred to this as "owning a brain and not being afraid to use it"! This also meant having a slightly strange and exceedingly dry sense of humour! Anyway, one regular slot was about the naming of cats, the strangest of names and or reasoning behind the name usually merited being featured on the show.

The one I have in mind is about a family who had never had a cat before. And one day somehow they had found a tiny black kitten out in the fiercest of storms, no mother apparent. So they brought her inside, and nursed her until she was well and happy. Apparently this little lady was jet black, long haired etc. They decided to name her "Madame Tussaud" (typical Brit type way of thinking!) The owner wrote that all went very well indeed until spaying time arrived. The lady took the wee one into the vet, and discovered that this was no lady, but a male kitten!

He returned from the vet bearing the name:  Adam Tussaud.
That is fantastic. I love British humor. 

josbd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That is fantastic. I love British humor. 
Sadly, the traditional and smart British humour is almost extinct. I think my generation is the last to use it. The lowest common denominator is the acceptable norm these days, rather than aiming high, and expecting high standards (I hope I don't sound like a bloody snob!) If I use irony, dry humour I am often looked at as tho I am speaking a foreign language. I often have to say "I am, of course, joking"....... Another blank look. GAH!!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Sadly, the traditional and smart British humour is almost extinct. I think my generation is the last to use it. The lowest common denominator is the acceptable norm these days, rather than aiming high, and expecting high standards (I hope I don't sound like a bloody snob!) If I use irony, dry humour I am often looked at as tho I am speaking a foreign language. I often have to say "I am, of course, joking"....... Another blank look. GAH!!
Nope- you don't sound like a snob of any kind. 

I love the dry humor. I use it myself sometimes but you're right, only people of a certain age get it. Everyone else thinks you're being serious and get confused. I'm 46 so I guess I'm of "a certain age". Oh well. I'd rather be of a certain age than not get it. 

cuddlemum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do get the British homor as my parents are from England , but I was born in Australia and grew up with it all my life. I think some people I am a bit twisted lol. I love the British comdedies, and I am 35!.

In regards to a name does your family have a favourite character out of a book or show? Might give you some ideas. Was just thinking of our new cat, he was named after pooh bear, but RSPCA shortened it to bear so we kept bear.

punkysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, since you like champagne names but want something cute, how about Corky? While it's not a champagne name it's always at the top of the bottle. LOL!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikwik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Well, since you like champagne names but want something cute, how about Corky? While it's not a champagne name it's always at the top of the bottle. LOL!
That's pretty cute and creative!  I'll have to run that by the fam :)  

cattsunami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I liked the idea of the Champagne names, but none of them sounded "cute" or rolled off the tongue easily.  He definitely makes me think of chocolate, or mocha, or caramel...but so far nothing we can all agree on
Ah well, I'll let you all know what we decide!  
 l
What about Frapachino, Chino for short? After all frapachinos do have caramel. I almost named one of my cats Chino but he is now Rollo.

Im sure u will find the purrfect name!

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like Pinot Grigio [emoji]128522[/emoji] I know it's a wine, but you could call him Pinot for short and it just fits him.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a story similar to Josbd's, which I've told before, but bear with me. My parents took in a lovely black and white kitty and named him Felix. Felix, the cat, the cat. They had him for some time until one day he presented them with a litter of kittens. After that, he became Felice. Transgender cats!

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm great believer that all Burmese tomcats should be called "Loki". I don't know if you are familiar with the breed, but he's going to quite literally be a god of mischief and naughtiness. He's beautiful. He'll climb everything so you could call him Ninja. Other appropriate names for Burmese boys are "Chaos", "Rascal", "Blaze" etc.

you should call him a name that reflects his personality. Being a burmese, that means you'll end up calling him "FFS get down from there". If you've never owned a burmese before you are in for a treat. Combine the most curious, intelligent cat with something that thinks it owns you and everything in the house, and cannot bear to be apart from you because it loves you so much, and that's what's coming into your home.

:)

Last edited:

nikwik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

What about Frapachino, Chino for short? After all frapachinos do have caramel. I almost named one of my cats Chino but he is now Rollo.

Im sure u will find the purrfect name!
I love the name Frapachino (Chino)!  And one of the other names we had on our "maybe" list was Rolo (like the caramel candy)...not sure if you pronounce Rollo the same, but funny how close that is ;)  Unfortunately my husband doesn't like any of my cute food/drink names  :p

nikwik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I have a story similar to Josbd's, which I've told before, but bear with me. My parents took in a lovely black and white kitty and named him Felix. Felix, the cat, the cat. They had him for some time until one day he presented them with a litter of kittens. After that, he became Felice. Transgender cats!
Lol!  That's a great reason for a name adjustment! 

nikwik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I'm great believer that all Burmese tomcats should be called "Loki". I don't know if you are familiar with the breed, but he's going to quite literally be a god of mischief and naughtiness. He's beautiful. He'll climb everything so you could call him Ninja. Other appropriate names for Burmese boys are "Chaos", "Rascal", "Blaze" etc.

you should call him a name that reflects his personality. Being a burmese, that means you'll end up calling him "FFS get down from there". If you've never owned a burmese before you are in for a treat. Combine the most curious, intelligent cat with something that thinks it owns you and everything in the house, and cannot bear to be apart from you because it loves you so much, and that's what's coming into your home.

:)
We've had him for a few days, and he definitely has a mind of his own!  He's PERFECT though!  Not too mischievous yet, very affectionate and loves being carried around like a baby!  We actually considered Loki, but my family couldn't stop associating the name with the character in the Thor movies, so that one got scrapped, lol.

nikwik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the suggestions, I loved several of them!  Trying to get my husband and two picky kids to agree was the challenge... so the final contenders were:

*Asti (sparkling wine, but close enough to Champagne) - kids just couldn't get on board with this one

*Rolo (caramel candy) - husband doesn't like food names

*Echo - we liked it, just didn't love it

and the winner....

*Mochi (pronounced Moe-Chee) It's actually the name of a cat in the children's animated movie 'Big Hero 6'...we all thought it was cute and unique, and has an oriental sound to match his adorable oriental looking face.  

We are loving our little Mochi!  He is the most amazing kitten ever...playful, smart, curious, hardly sheds (yes, that is a huge plus in my book, lol!), and LOVES being held, cuddled, and carried around!  He even helps with the laundry! (see attached pic

punkysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad you found a name for your adorable furbaby. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at that face in the first picture, above....what a face...

Mochi it is!!!  

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Mochi!!  The name and mostly, this gorgeous cat!  He looks amazing.  He looks like he is really thinking hard about something in the first photo.  I love him!