Help me identify this

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also fyi: Anything topical that you put on a cat can cause a reaction. I've seen a cat with a reaction to revolution. It is an individual case. The Seresto collar has been very successful and we recommend it to a lot of our clients who are looking for a long term prevention. The collar is excellent in that it kills flea larvae in the environment that the cat hangs out in too.

There are risks to everything, so if an animal starts to react to something you take it off and bathe them. The ingredients have a low toxicity in cats, just like revolution ingredients.

Last edited:

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The point is flea collars are unsafe. And there is evidence to support it.
So you'll use evidence to support you when it benefits your argument, but ignore it when it doesn't.

I urge you to stop looking at a flea collar being a flea collar and look at it as a chemical(s), which it is, just like revolution. Some ingredients are more toxic than others. With that being said, Flumethrin and Imidacloprid have low toxicity in cats while the organophosphates found in other collars have a high toxicity and can cause chemical burns among other symptoms. Revolution contains Selamectin, which is also low toxicity, but has caused severe reactions in some cats too. The difference is, if the cat is allergic to the collar it can be removed. If it's allergic to revolution, it's harder to wash off.

This is on topic. The cat looks like it has flea allergy dermatitis and I've recommended two products that the veterinarians in my clinic recommend because they work very well.

PS - your link is scare-mongering, which is something I don't believe people should do. If you look at the reviews, you'll see that almost 80% of people have had good experiences with the product. And if you read the reviews, you'll see that many of the bad reviews are because they feel the product wasn't working. Some of them did have an allergic reaction, which can happen with any product. There was a review with a person that had 4 cats. 3 of them were fine, while the 4th had a reaction. So they use the collar on the 3 and a different application on the 4th. The point is, your biased opinion on flea collars because of your own bad experience shouldn't hinder other people from trying a product that really works well and is generally safe.

Last edited:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Gollum  *allow a scab to form again without breaking, need to watch easy to scratch open,  tear break off easy. Flea protection...

@LiveLovePurr   and others...

Seresto flea collar contains flumethrin, an insecticide, which in laboratory trials when given orally to rats for 6-15 days caused temporary *ataxia*.  From a forum

plus sharing for the sake of awareness  Amazons product reviews on Soresto collars with photos (believe they were posted above) people are posting trying to

prevent harm to other pet owner's pets this needs to be taken seriously.  Cats aren't guinea pigs why take a chance...

Flea info link 3 weeks old:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/335853/omg-make-the-fleas-stop

Last edited:

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seresto flea collar contains flumethrin, an insecticide, which in laboratory trials when given orally to rats for 6-15 days caused temporary *ataxia*.
That was at high doses of 10 mg/kg. High doses of anything will cause issues.

Oh and hey look, somebody else mentioned the Seresto collar in the link you gave her. Better hurry and scare-monger them too!

Last edited:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
doses of 10 mg/kg. High doses of anything will cause issues.

That was at high Oh and hey look, somebody else mentioned the Seresto collar in the link you gave her. Better hurry and scare-monger them too!
It sounds like you have allot of passion for your job and I'm sure you're very good at it but If you see things from just a

Pet owner's perspective realizing that pictures speak a million words those owner's weren't paid to post pictures of their pets

chemically burned. I appreciate the fact they are sharing this to prevent others from making the shocking mistake I can honor that. 

For me to use this collar knowing what may happen sit back waiting to see if my pet cooks or not does not sit well with me

or many others it could take days or a few weeks that does NOT offer peace of mind.   Seresto collar has the same problems

as other collars   Hartz does it as well.

http://www.hartzvictims.org/2013/06/14/hartz-flea-tick-collar-chemical-burn-photos-included/

*the pet protector in link

Last edited:

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, and what if I choose to tell you that revolution also had those risks? I bet you have taken the chance and used it on your pet as well.

"Following treatment with Revolution, transient localized alopecia with or without inflammation at or near the site of application was observed in approximately 1% of 691 treated cats. Other signs observed rarely (≤0.5% of 1743 treated cats and dogs) included vomiting, loose stool or diarrhea with or without blood, anorexia, lethargy, salivation, tachypnea, and muscle tremors."

https://www.drugs.com/pro/revolution-topical.html

The fact remains: Any insecticide you put on your pet runs the risk of having some kind of adverse reaction.

The Seresto collar has been very successful in keeping fleas away and killing them in many cats. It's a good option for owners who don't want to do monthly applications and it's very affordable too. $15-20/month vs $8-10/month. I understand the fear, but people need to realize that they're taking chances with many things they're giving their pets. This is a clinically-proven option.

I have an example: augmentin is a safe antibiotic in people. Clavamox is the veterinary label. Most people and animals can take that antibiotic with no problem. If I take augmentin, I break out in hives and start to have difficulty breathing. Some animals can have similar reactions. I wouldn't know I had an allergy to penicillins if I hasn't used that antibiotic and neither would some pet owners if they never used it on their pet. That goes the same way for flea prevention. Some that are safe in pets can cause an allergic reaction.

Hartz collars contain organophosphates that are extremely toxic to pets. You'll never see a veterinarian recommend any other collar. The Seresto collar is the only flea collar for cats that veterinarians actually recommend. I use it on one of my cats and I absolutely love it. I would never put something on him if I thought it would harm him. The only reason why the other 3 don't have one is because he's the only one that will keep a collar on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gollum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes @ desktop I think your right. The last few days shes caught a mouse and even a small bat. Keep in mind this is a very old house and wasnt taken good care of before I moved in recently. Her wound has healed all the way. No new sores anywhere. I shall keep you all updated. I would post a pic but it wont let me via my phone. Ps-thank you all for the positivety and help.

utsarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am on our second Seresto collar. No fleas last summer on my baby at all. I like being able to not worry about flea treatment for 8 months. I have found it on Amazon cheaper than at the vet's.