Help Me Identify My Kitty's Breed/Mix, Please?

apsara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All! I recently got a kitten off of Craigslist that was advertised as a purebred ragdoll. I am no cat expert and am not able to identify a purebred ragdoll so I took the poster's word for it. Anyway, I immediately fell in love with Mikah, and so did my family. He was silly, hyper at times, but an absolute sweetheart when he is calm and LOVES to snuggle and cuddle. I later on tried to read more on ragdolls but he doesn't seem to fit the description, at least appearance wise, and he doesn't go "floppy" when picked up, so I don't know if he's a ragdoll. I really want to know what breed/mix he is so I can read more about his type and understand him better. I am hoping you guys can help me. Thanks! Here are his pictures.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you get papers with him? Even those can be fake. I know here in Columbus they are notorious for putting Car's and kitten's on there saying they are the breed that they look like to them. I seen one advertised as a Maincoon and it wasn't even close. 

If you paid a great deal of money for him I would talk to someone about the craigslist scams. 

I know he is pointed most likely a Siamese mix some where. As for a ragdoll I really don't believe he is. Maybe someone with more knowledge will come through soon. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apsara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you get papers with him? Even those can be fake. I know here in Columbus they are notorious for putting Car's and kitten's on there saying they are the breed that they look like to them. I seen one advertised as a Maincoon and it wasn't even close. 

If you paid a great deal of money for him I would talk to someone about the craigslist scams. 

I know he is pointed most likely a Siamese mix some where. As for a ragdoll I really don't believe he is. Maybe someone with more knowledge will come through soon. 
I paid $200, and no papers came with him.. this was my first pet purchase ever so really no idea how proceedings should go.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I paid $200, and no papers came with him.. this was my first pet purchase ever so really no idea how proceedings should go.
That is a little on the high end for a pointed mix but there is people that will pay that for them easy. I seen flame points go as high as 350 but that is with vetting. Did he have any vetting done, shots, wormings, flea meds. A lot of the people who sell on there don't have that done. 

The thing is you paid for a ragdoll and should have gotten it even if it was mixed breed. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

That is a little on the high end for a pointed mix but there is people that will pay that for them easy. I seen flame points go as high as 350 but that is with vetting. Did he have any vetting done, shots, wormings, flea meds. A lot of the people who sell on there don't have that done. 

The thing is you paid for a ragdoll and should have gotten it even if it was mixed breed. 
Everything you say LouAnn is true. Although a purebred would cost at least 500 if pet quality, so it was really no scam, just a rather high price for a moggie.  But with these looks?  A nice blue mitted point?  Easily worth the money.

Mitted means with white - ie the socks. Regular ragdolls dont have socks.

Not all ragdolls become limp when lifted up, so its in part a myth.

He is a little shorthaired to be a ragdoll, but who knows, he may be a pet qualtiy ragdoll  after all...  Lets hope it was this short fur which doomed him into the pet quality...

@Apsara

apsara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

No vetting. I just took him for his first vaccine 2 days ago. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

apsara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everything you say LouAnn is true. Although a purebred would cost at least 500 if pet quality, so it was really no scam, just a rather high price for a moggie.  But with these looks?  A nice blue mitted point?  Easily worth the money.

Mitted means with white - ie the socks. Regular ragdolls dont have socks.

Not all ragdolls become limp when lifted up, so its in part a myth.
He is a little shorthaired to be a ragdoll, but who knows, he may be a pet qualtiy ragdoll  after all...  Lets hope it was this short fur which doomed him into the pet quality...

@Apsara
Thank you for the info! I would have still gotten Mikah even if he was posted as mix.. it's just upsetting to find out that the poster mislead people for a quick sell..