Help me find a low phosphorus canned food!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Egg whites are a phosphorous binder and will help eliminate any phosphorous that inevitably finds its way into their diets. My cat will only eat it when it's warmed up but still raw, but the usual recommendation is that it's cooked and chopped. Be careful not to include any of the yolk, which is high in phosphorous (for CKD kitties).
Egg whites are not a phosphorous binder. Cooked egg whites are recommended for CKD kitties because they are a digestible source of protein without the phosphorous.

And no one should be feeding a cat raw egg whites, as they contain avidin, which depletes biotin an important B vitamin. Cooking the whites inactivates the avidin.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, just joined this site as I saw this thread finally.  First, Otto - I am glad you cat is doing well now. 

Also.  Thanks for the input on the food.

I know it has been inactive for a bit but responding hoping to get a response though.   I am curious on where you can buy the By Nature canned cat food you are talking about.  I am having trouble finding this.

Trying to find a good cat food with a reasonable price is horrible. 
Unfortunately By Nature has stopped making the Organics line. It is no longer available. I have enough to last me about a year, if I'm careful with it.

Mazy cat is still getting the Rad Cat raw and By Nature Organics canned and I still don't know what I will be feeding her to replace her canned portions when my supply of By Nature runs out next March.

It's very depressing. Perhaps by then I will have decided to give her Rad Cat only, but it is just not feasible right now.
PS Mazy cat also takes many supplements to help her. Egg Yolk Lecithin twice a day. Slippery Elm Bark once a day. Vet's-Best Hairball relief once a day. Raw organic apple cider vinegar twice a day. Probiotics twice a day. Cosequin for cats once a day. D-mannose 1/8 teaspoon once a day on a pulse (3 weeks off, one week on)

Raw egg yolk twice a week to help with motility. (supplemented with egg shell calcium to balance the phosphorous)

misty62

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You want a food higher in protein, but lower in phosphorus.  The protein will give calories.  If you are located in the USA, a good one is 

Solid Gold Chicken, Turkey, White Fish and Liver.  I'm not crazy about any fish for cats, but it is .50% phosphorus (low).  Protein 42% Also good is

Hi Tor Neo (premium flavor) with a phosphorus of 0.58%  and protein of 36.54%.  If you are in the UK, go to zooplus.com

What is the problem with your cat?

tvoislow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the response Otto.   I picked up a couple of cans of the C & P brand you mentioned. Hoping my cats like that and do not have any issues.  Whole Foods sells it.

A couple years back one of my cats (I have 3) had crystals after feeding him Blue Buffalo wilderness dry for a couple of months.  Vet put him on CD dry.  I tried the wet also, but he would throw that up.  He really likes the dry.

Since I free fed my cats dry, it was the dry all 3 were eating, not good. 

One of my other cats started gaining some weight, so 6 months back vet switched to Hills W/D, assuring me W/D has same target PH as C/D.  I made the switch and have had no problems since.  I hate the ingredients in these foods though.  They are terrible and every time I feed them I feel some guilt. 

So I am in the process of changing to an all wet diet, but want to be sure my cat that had crystals does not get them again.  So looking at phosphorus, magnesium, calcium (3 ingredients Hills told me they regulate in these foods to prevent the crystals) along with Ash (what vet told me to look at).  I just want to make sure these levels are not too high.  I am also looking to keep Carrageenan out of the diet as well (seems like anytime I like ingredients in a pet food, this one appears, making finding something more difficult than it has to be).

One of the foods I am transitioning them to now is Weruva.  It is a good food.  most calories come from protein, very little from carbs.  Levels all seem ok.  It is very pricey though.  Price per calorie is probably the highest around. I just cannot afford to have all 3 cats on this, so looking for an alternative and came across this thread with lots of good info. 

tvoislow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry Misty - Just seeing your response now.  Thanks for your response as well. 

I am trying to stay away from fish so I have to stay away from the Solid Gold. 

Also, on the Hi Tor.  The top ingredient is by-products that I can see.  I do not see the premium one you are talking about.  I can't feed my cats this as this ingredient could mean anything.  Do you have a link that I could use to see the ingredients on the premium brand you are talking about?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
T tvoislow Mazy cat doesn't get the Castor & Pollux chicken stew any more, she couldn't keep it down, but the other two get it one meal a week, I call it their "McDonald's". While it has no carrageenan or menadione, it does have spinach, which is something cats shouldn't really eat, spinach is high is calcium oxalate.

They do love it though, so I figure one meal a week (1.5 oz per cat) won't hurt them. Those two are 75% raw and have no digestive or other health problems so I don't worry about that one junk food meal a week for them. :)

Last edited:

tvoislow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Otto - did you contact By Nature and ask them why they stopped the wet food?  Just curious.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Otto - did you contact By Nature and ask them why they stopped the wet food?  Just curious.
Not all wet food, just the Organics line. First they stopped making the organic chicken&turkey and the turkey &liver, they said it was too difficult to get organic turkey, so all they had to offer was the chicken, and then they just decided to shut down the whole line. Since all that was left was the chicken, I suppose it just wasn't cost effective for them.

It's the only canned food I've found, ever, that Mazy can keep down, so I'm going to be in a real bind in about 10 months. There are just so many things she CANNOT have, and all foods I've looked at (I never stop searching anyway) always have at least one, and usually more than one, thing in it that is a no for her.

She needs organic foods, preferably foods with no GMO products. She does great on the Rad Cat but it's just not feasible for a full time diet for her, plus it would only be two proteins and that food. I think cats should have a rotation of at least 3 different foods, if not brands/ proteins. Feeding her the By Nature Organics sort of filled that requirement. It was working. Is working, but I don't yet know what I am going to do to replace it. I just don't know.

(edit) Oh! I just followed mschauer's link...wow I guess they really did eliminate all wet food. I didn't know because I don't feed the others. Huh. They'd do better to eliminate all the crappy DRY, but of course as we all know that's where the big money is. UGH!

Not that they care, but I have written expressing my opinion on their elimination of canned cat food, and their dry foods, and why. I am wondering if the company has been bought out by one of the big companies. That's usually when things like this happen.

Last edited:

tvoislow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info. I wrote them also just to see, but figured you would probably have the info. 

On a positive note, you have 10 months to research and find a new food.  If I come across anything I will send you something. 

Have you ever thought about making your own food?  I think about all the time I have spent researching a good cat food, wish I just spent my time making good food for my cats.  I would rather not do this though, so the search continues.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other two cats do eat a prey model raw diet. Mazy cat can't keep it down. I don't have access to the non GMO fed meats she would need. That's why she does so well on the Rad Cat. But I am not willing to feed only one food one brand, to any cat.

I've never stopped researching, looking for canned foods Mazy cat can eat. I am always wanting to add to her rotation. I just haven't found anything that fits her criteria.

Last edited:

tvoislow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Otto - just so you know, they replied to me today, Here is what they said.

We are sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced with the lack of availability of our wet food due to ongoing issues we have been experiencing with the cannery which manufactures our product line.

Like most pet food companies, we do not own our own cannery and the production of canned foods in the United States is in a difficult situation today, both for us and for all marketers of canned foods.  We are working hard to alleviate the out of stock situations by approaching canned food differently.  We are diligently in the process of sourcing a new manufacturer and our goal moving forward is to have a new line of wet food in place with our distributors by mid-May and then to our Retailers by the end of May, start of June.  We will have our new line of 95% Recipes as well as a new line of Stews to follow later in the summer.  *Due to our inability to source a certified organic facility, we will not be moving forward with an organic line of wet food at this time.  We apologize for this added inconvenience.

Unfortunately our Online Retailers have been going out of stock for quite some time however, we encourage you to review the direct links to all of our Online Retailers which you will find at the bottom of our By Nature[emoji]174[/emoji] WHERE TO BUY page as follows:  http://bynaturepetfoods.com/where-to-buy/.  Also, if you have not done so already, you may want to review area Retailers you may not be familiar with and call them to see if they have any remaining product.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you T tvoislow . I received the exact same reply, with some added comments since I suggested they ditch the dry line and why, and why I objected to fruits and sweet potatoes. That brought on the same old jargon about "many cats live long healthy lives on quality dry food" and "it matters more that the nutrients are there rather than where they come from". Bottom line is, I doubt there is going to be a food I can use from By Nature even when they do come out with their new line.

It's too bad, as I do think they are a reliable pet food manufacturer, relatively speaking (meaning I trust NO commercial pet food makers fully :lol3:)

Last edited:

tvoislow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Otto - I will check out their new line when they come out.  Will make sure levels are ok for Phos, Mag calcium and ash.

Chrom - I looked at that one also, they contain by-products, god only knows what those are, could be anything.  Thanks for the suggestion though. 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out Hi-Tor Neo. They advertise low phosphorus.
Thanks, I may have already investigated them, but I can't find a product website. I don't want a link to any of the stores selling it, I want the product web site. Anyone else have it?

Low phos isn't really the main issue for Mazy cat any more, this thread is old. Mazy cat has a ruined digestion from 6 years on Hills c/d kibble. I had hoped that the diet change path I started her on 3 1/2 years ago would solve the regurgitation and motility problems but so far, though she is much better on the raw/canned diet, some damage seems permanent. She cannot tolerate a varied diet, and introducing something new, no matter what it is, will be difficult for her.

There are a lot of ingredients she absolutely can not have.

Thanks T tvoislow !

(edit) Just looking at the list of ingredients on store sites,, that looks like a very poor quality food. And low protein? No cat should ever had a reduced protein diet. No, I do thank you for the suggestion Chrom, but Hi Tor is not a food I would ever feed.

Last edited:

tvoislow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@otto  - I am not sure if you know this site.  http://www.naturalcatcareblog.com/2010/12/the-7-best-natural-commercial-cat-foods-so-far/

Maybe someone on there may have a good suggestion for you.   I did see Rad Cat highly rated here.

Also , I did see this food, after going to true vita site (made by same company) but unfortunately has carrageenan:  http://www.naturalplanetorganics.co...lanet-organics/canned-recipes/canned-for-cats

it is organic though.  Low ash, have an email into them for the other levels. 

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just had a look at Hi-Tor (its been awhile since I've bought it, although my cats do love it) and don't see anything wrong with it. My kidney cat almost ate it once, but changed his mind (Oliver just didn't do canned food). Have otherwise had luck with it. It doesn't smell bad, either (bonus for me!)

fvan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I too am presently seeking a low phosphorous wet cat food, and hope to share my findings with you.

I've discovered the importance of keeping our little feline friends 'hydrated' Encourage water consumption by placing bowls at random locations.

Hope your cat feels better,

Regards, Fred

foranimalsake

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, Like everything else in life, you only notice a red car [emoji]128663[/emoji] when you start driving a red car [emoji]128663[/emoji]. Recently spent close to $1000 for emergency vet overnight appointment for one of my males that was completely blocked. Currently on the c/d diet but not confident and searching for information.

Was wondering if anyone here has heard of and or used Methigel, D-mannose and has anyone added a water fountain to increase fluid intake?