Help me figure out what bug this was

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I came home today to find a GIANT silverfish looking thing in my kitchen. I know it wasn't a silverfish because it looked different. It was more than an inch long with all these long 2 part legs. All the legs almost made it look fuzzy or something....I have NEVER seen such an awful creature.

Do you guys have any idea what I'm talking about..I couldn't take a pic of it cuz I have no camera. I wouldn't know where to start looknig online for a pic, I have no idea what the thing was.

I'm going to be sick thinking about it. Why are these things lurking around my place...ew, what if their in my bed?? I'm dying here, help me out.
OMG!!!!!!!! THAT is what I have in my house and I have no clue what it is either!!!!!!! And they are coming from my room!! But after looking at those pics, my bug isn't on there.
They really freak me out.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah.. I used to live in a basement apartment (won't do that again, I tell you) and I saw at least one or two of those a week.. -shudders- plus your normal everyday spiders

But this thread is making my hair on my arms stick on end..

cyber cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh YUK!!! I just looked at that website, it creeped me out. I use to get those house centipede in my old house. They are sick little things. I was always paranoid that I might see them.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have this really big insect book just in case a get a question on insects-some ofthe pictures are so yucky!!! We could do a thread on out worst insects!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't actually seen any spiders here yet though, so I think those centipedes have a good go at killing and eating the spiders. I have only seen the centipedes. They have an alarming appearance though, they are VERY ugly and scary. I would actually probably rather see a spider every once in a while than one of these nasty things.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trout doesn't eat them??? Zissou eats the millipedes, as does my sister's cat. Caught him once with half of one hanging out of his mouth, too late to do much.

Or perhaps Trout has been eating them and you would have more! Ewww! You've certainly reminded me why I somehow always live on the third floor (I've lived in five places in my life, and always the third floor).

There is a big millipede problem in the dorms at this school, they crawl out of the heating vents all year long. It's so gross. And they all live like in the walls and under the floors, so they're hard to kill.

There is one thing you can do that is chemical free: Go around your entire apartment, pull all the furniture away from the wall, and tape everything up. Tape the baseboards shut across the top and bottom (that's where I always see them!), tape any cracks anywhere, if there's any space between the tub and the wall, caulk it (or have the landlord) if you see holes in the walls where the pipes for the toilet or sink or stove go in or out tape them up, check around the windows. Get new weatherproofing for the door (pretty inexpensive). Once you're all sealed up then you only have to deal with what's already there (if any) and what might sneak in the door with you (very unlikely).

If you do fog, make sure to open all drawers and cabinets and doors and such.