Help Me Decide on a New Years Eve Dinner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, ribs it is! I decided to have mashed potatoes instead of baked though. The ribs are a bit saucey so that will be yummy over mashed potatoes.

I also decided to make myself a small veggie dip plate to nibble on and some low fat popcorn for during the movie. I'm going to check at Safeway to see if they have "Eastern Promises" and if they do I'm going to buy it and watch that one too. I love Viggo Mortensen and while I've already seen the movie on my computer, I want to see it again via DVD.

And of course the kitties get something special tomorrow too. Now really sure what yet. Chynna will eat anything, but Abby is really picky and doesn't like much of anything other than her regular veterinarian dry. Maybe I'll try a couple small tins of that Fancy Feast and see how they like it.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We were going to cook a fancy traditional New Year's meal but we decided to just have appetizers and champagne!!! We're having...

buffalo style meatballs w/ blue cheese for dipping
cold spinach dip
5 layer mexi dip
chips and veggies for dipping
ham delights

and lots of champagne... and my boyfriend and I are just going to cuddle on the couch, snack, and watch the ball drop!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Down here in Texas we have nothing special on New Year's Eve, but you HAVE TO HAVE black eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck the whole year long!
Well, I was wondering if anyone else was going to mention black eyed peas!! And what about hog jowl!!!
That's the tradition in my family,(but not for me!) I don't know if it's a southern thing or a hillbilly thing!

Ribs sound wonderful,though!!

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose the ribs too.

Boy am I hungry right now though.

I've never heard of the black eyed peas tradition. Actually I've never heard of black eyed peas other than in my son's Ipod.
Oh and in Goodbye Earl but I thought it was only part of the song. Sheesh... I've alot to learn and my life is already half over. Makes me wonder where I've been all these years!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The BBQ ribs sounds quite tasty! I want to cook something tonight, but will probably make little snacks like pigs in a blanket and pierogies.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I voted for the second one. A roast is so special and takes time and love to make. It just seems right for New Years.

I to just heard about the black eyed pea thing yesterday. I also heard that you should also eat collard greens, they are supose to bring wealth if you eat them on New Years. So we are going to do a mixture of things. We were only going to have homemade clam chowder but now we are also going to have the black eyed peas and collard greens on the side. I don't know how well the flavors will work but no matter what we will enjoy it.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been wanting Chinese does sound good, but I have decided on Lobster its easy to do and not alot of fuss and not something I cook but maybe 2 times a year..