Help me ! 16 yr.female cat bloody urine &bad vet

3kittys

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im new to this board but I just wanted to say that I know how you feel. 2 years ago my little Missy passed away. She was 17years old and I had had her since she was born (had her mother and grandmother). She was my angel!!!!! I was actually on my way to the vet with her to make that big decision and on the way, she just looked up at me, took one deep breathe and that was it. I just about had a wreck!!!! I had to pull over, but at least I didn't have to make that decision. It hard, I know. You can never replace them. I do have other cats, one is 10 yrs old, one is 6mths old (new one) and one has adopted us so I don't know how old he is but very sweet.

Good luck with your little angel. I will keep her in my prayers and thoughts.

Cat

3kittys

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, didn't realize there was more than 1 page to read, like I said, I'm new so I'm still learning. Glad to hear Cookie is doing better. Hope she has many more years of happieness!!!!

Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

judy831

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to thank all of you wonderful ladies for thinking and praying for my Cookie. She is still doing wonderfully !! THANK THE LORD !!!
Your posts make me feel so much more confident that I have finally found a good vet
It is a lifelong commitment being a pet owner so very rewarding and sometimes so difficult when they get ill. I enjoy everything about my cats,well maybe not their litterboxes and hairballs LOL Thanks again for caring !!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

judy831

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and I have a question........ Cookie is going to have to start eating a special Kidney failure diet and I was wondering how to go about switching her from the Fancy feast that she loves??? Vet gave me many different brands of canned food to try but I have a feeling they all taste about the same...terrible
Cookie spent the day Monday at the vet 8am till 5pm and still has a little blood in her urine so I got 10 more Baytril pills and she is showing sign of kidney failure,vet said not uncommon in a 16 year old cat, and her T4 just came back today and she will now start taking thyriod meds. Vet said just a small amount for now and then she wants to recheck her blood in 10 days. I sure wish things would slow down a bit because it BREAKS my heart to leave her there And she cries in the car during the whole trip which starts me to
I know she is in good hands,but it hurts just the same. Anyway back to my question...... any tricky ideas on how to switch her diet
Thanks

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try mixing the foods slowly together to see if that works. I hope everything turns out ok for Cookie

3kittys

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know what your going thru. Before my Missy died, it was very hard. I could tell that it was time but just didn't know when until the day came and she could not get up. But what I said to myself was....if it is her time she had a wonderful long and loved live with me and she won't be hurting anymore because the last thing you want is for her to be suffering.

At least you have some options with Cookie and medicine to give her. Missy it was just old age, everything else was as normal as could be for her age.

I do agree with the others on mixing the food slowly. If you change her all together it could cause her to have diarea.

Good luck with her. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Cathy

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, you need to gradually switch her over. If she is being stubborn, I would ask your vet about putting a little bit of fish oil in there to get her started with the new food. I know it's hard taking them to the vet. I always try to tell myself that it's going to help them feel better. I had one in the vets office for 2 weeks and it was awful. I hope she gets to feeling herself very soon