Help Mama Cat Needs Info/ Interrupted Labor

ika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My cat is 10 years and it s her first pregnancy. She gave a birth for 1 dead kitten before yesterday. ;(((((She s a regular short hair cat and daddy cat is a Himalayan cat. I fixed my Himalayan cat recently and didn't know that she s already pregnant. I understood it very late. So my cat didnt gave a birth for other kitten I feel that there is at least one more kitten in her belly. She behaves very peaceful. Sleeps well eats and plays. She looks better than her first birth. So I care because it s 36 hours already she delivered her 1st kitten . some ppl says my cat had 3 days interruption some sites says it s just 24 hr or 36 hr. Could you please share your experience with me. her dead kitten was breed as my male cat. (((( Cried a lot when it was delivered dead. I dont think so she has too many but i feel she has at least 1 more in her belly. She has so little discharges sometime. It started 2 days ahead her 1st birth too. now stil she drops a little very rarely.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pauses are common, longer or shorter. If momma seems OK, no visible troubles, the usual advice is to observe, but wait calmly. Was the first kitten fully done? furry and decently rounded? Or did it seemed premature?

The big problem here, your momma is fully 10 years, and a virgin. So it becomes immediately touchy, and every delivery especially of fully done kitten is directly risky for her.

Frankly this is one of the situations I recommend a cesarean. Usually I advice, all risks and pro and contras calculated, its better and less risky to wait and see - if momma is OK!

Here the scale turns heavily into a cesarean, even risking the kittens still in vomb isnt fully matured as yet. Mommas life is at stake.

Please contact your vet asap and discuss this, be ready for immediate cesarean if he can do it.

I ika

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your answer. I appreciate. yes first baby came dead. It took too long to give birht more than 40 mins. and it was dead. I guess it died because it came updown. I saw her feet came first then head.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Delivery backwards is sheer coincidence and sheer unluck, but a long difficult delivery hasnt done nothing good to her and her joints.... A quick and easy one would give a fair chance to open her up, and make it easier for next one, but with a difficult delivery the risk for internal damages in her raises dramatically.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of discharge are you seeing? Was the kitten fully developed? I'm sorry that it didn't survive.

When was your male fixed? Do you plan to spay your female? She can get pregnant again within a week of delivery, so they will need to stay separate.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I will add, a cesaren they also probably spay at the same time if you ask. Which means, the costs wont be that much higher than a spaying. A spaying is anyway waiting so... If money is an issue for you, you spare this way a substantial part of the costs.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Interrupted labor is not unheard of and if she is acting normally it may be she just had the one kitten or that it is a long labor. I would call my vet and speak with them about the situation. If there is not another kitten within a few hours I would take her in just to check on her.

ika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like I will do that too. I ll wait a little more if i dont see any signs of new delivery i ll take her to emergency

ika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know where I can do the scetion cheaper? I asked to couple emergency. spots they gave me too high estimate.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know where I can do the scetion cheaper? I asked to couple emergency. spots they gave me too high estimate.
You don't know for sure what will be needed so don't avoid the vet due to the quoted cost of a particular procedure. My guess would be that the vet would take X-ray to confirm if there is another kitten. A C-Section might be needed or it might not depending on the vets evaluation.

In terms of cost, there aren't a lot of options in emergency situations. You can try your local humane society or rescue to see if they either have a low cost clinic or can recommend one. Your regular vet might offer you a payment plan option. If CareCredit is accepted at the vet you can apply to spread out payments over time (just be sure you pay it off in the promotional period to avoid interest).

ika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot

You don't know for sure what will be needed so don't avoid the vet due to the quoted cost of a particular procedure. My guess would be that the vet would take X-ray to confirm if there is another kitten. A C-Section might be needed or it might not depending on the vets evaluation.

In terms of cost, there aren't a lot of options in emergency situations. You can try your local humane society or rescue to see if they either have a low cost clinic or can recommend one. Your regular vet might offer you a payment plan option. If CareCredit is accepted at the vet you can apply to spread out payments over time (just be sure you pay it off in the promotional period to avoid interest).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I ika

What kind of discharge are you seeing?

Since she is not in distress there is no immediate emergency.

To ease your mind, an x-ray can confirm if there is indeed another kitten to be born.

ika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has very light pink and sometimes clear discarges. it started 2 days ahead her 1st delivery. couple hours ahead she had her 1 st kitten shed had more discharges. Now she has very less exactly same as she had 2 days ahead of her labor day.

ika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I ika

What kind of discharge are you seeing?

Since she is not in distress there is no immediate emergency.

To ease your mind, an x-ray can confirm if there is indeed another kitten to be born.
Now She has very light pink and sometimes clear discharges. it started 2 days ahead her 1st delivery. couple hours ahead she had her 1 st kitten shed had more discharges. Now she has very less exactly same as she had 2 days ahead of her labor day.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does not sound like an emergency at this point. I do think you should get an X-ray if you can. Please keep her away from your male.

ika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is normal pre- and post-partum discharge.
i hope she s ok and will end ok with this pregnancy. I m going to take temperature now just to make sure she s ok

ika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
her temp is 98.05 so I guess she s going to deliver today right ?