HELP!! lethargic kitten with accumulating abdominal fluid, paralysis in the back legs, and constipation.

hazzzel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my kitten is about 6-7 weeks old. she was a skinny, weak, lethargic stray when i got her 1.5 weeks ago. since i got her, her belly expanded significantly.
5 days ago, she was constipated so i brought her to the vet for stool softeners. at that time she was also dewormed and put on antibiotics. since then she has been getting worsening symptoms and is very weak and lethargic. 1.5 days ago she became suddenly paralyzed in her back legs.
i brought her to the vet again yesterday and she was given an x-ray. the vet found that her stomach was expanded because fluid has been accumulating in her abdomen and lungs. (pictures attached). her breathing is weak because her lung capacity is limited. the vet found no cause for her paralysis.
also, the vet told me that she needed to do blood work in order to determine the cause of her abdominal fluid but that taking blood would be risky as it could stress my kitten out so much that she would die on the table.
i chose to go home yesterday without doing the blood test since this was a lot to take in and i wanted to think about it before i put her life at risk. if she was going to die anyways, as the condition is likely fatal, i considered letting her go in peace instead of being poked and prodded.
last night she started losing control over her bladder and she has never been weaker. i have decided that i need to go through with the blood work since that is the only chance i have at getting her diagnosed so she can be treated and maybe saved. she is so young that i think it is worth it to try. plus, letting her go in peace doesn’t seem to be an option anymore since she’s miserable anyways.
before i go, i want to see if anyone knows what her diagnosis could be without having to take blood. advice would also be appreciated.
i am so scared and upset. i love her so much and it is so hard to see her so weak and evolve so many horrible symptoms so quickly.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
H hazzzel I wish I could tell you that I know but I am not a vet. If it were my kitty, I would have to get the vet to tell me more. You can ask the vet ,” If this was your kitty, what would you do?” Personally I would try the bloodwork. That is just me. It can be something as simple as parasitic problems or infection but you can’t know without more information. My heart is totally with you. Just looking at that sweet one, I love her too. Try to make sure she keeps warm enough and hydrated if you can. I have often just held a kitty in my jacket to let them hear my heartbeat and snuggle. It calms them if they feel bad. A lot like being near mom kitty. Bloodwork should tell much more. I will hold you both in my mind and heart and wait with you to hear what the vet says. I am so grateful to you for giving her your love and care. I can promise you that she feels that and it gives her comfort. Keep doing what you can for her. Everyone here will be sending any strength and good vibes possible. I send love too. Please keep us updated. Sometimes I don’t get alerts and we are having tornadoes here right now so I may not get internet but post back where you reached me before and tell people there that you are needing help if you cannot find me. I will ask them to send love. They will!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

hazzzel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: she survived the bloodwork! The vet believes that she has dry FIP. The treatment of which is quite expensive. Prior to an ultrasound, the vet said she actually isn’t filled with fluid so the cause of her enlarged stomach could still be worms. She was given an enema which has hopefully made her feel a bit better. I am waiting to deworm her again on Sunday. If her bloating starts to go away after that, indicating that she only has dry FIP, I will be proceeding with the $500 treatment. Fingers crossed she gets better! I know I could help a lot more cats for $500 but I love her way too much to let her die. Thanks again for the support you lovely humans ♥

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for keeping us updated! She is a real cutie and you have good instincts. As Jcatbird said, love is worth a high price & sometimes other people will chip in to help. If it is FIP, there is a Facebook group called FIP Warriors (be sure to seek out the registered group, Alley Cat Allies is a member). I know worms can also be a possibility.