Help! kittens with oily fur

KittenHostel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I’m a foster mom for a local rescue and a month ago took in a mama cat with her four, 1 day old kittens. The kittens are now 4.5 weeks. Everything has been going well except for the usual issues, occasional supplemental feeding, poopy tushes or feet, etc. Mama has been nursing great and she grooms all four. Within this last week three of the kittens started eating mama‘s wet food (Authority Kitten wet food - chicken and liver). These three meat eaters are now really oily. I’ve tried wiping them with wet paper towels, baby wipes and even baths with Dawn dish soap. I see mama groom them and they groom themselves a little too. I just can’t figure out why they’re greasy. Has anyone experienced this with new meat eaters or kittens who eat Authority? I reached out to the rescue and they didn’t have any suggestions and didn’t seem concerned. The kittens are active, eating, nursing, and eliminating. And no one is fussy or crying. The one brother who doesn’t eat the meats is soft and fluffy so I can’t help but see a correlation. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciate! Thanks! Stay healthy!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you may have nailed it as to being the diet but I not a vet. Oily skin is something I saw in kittens with parasites too though. A vet check if a change in diet does not help. Definitely , if they have not been checked for parasites yet, that needs to be done. Several things are known to cause oily fur/ skin. I’m very glad you are taking such good care of them and noticed! Welcome to TCS!:welcomesign: Please do keep us posted about the family!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that you might want a vet check. It’s good that everyone seems healthy otherwise though. Perhaps try a chicken only flavor. It might be the liver. :)