Help! Kitten’s Paw Is Bending In Wrong Area, What’s Going On?? *photo Attached*

haleyyrenee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just noticed this today, but looking back at photos it’s been like this for a few months. She is 9 months old and one of her paw “wrists” bends further back than the other. She is only 6.6lbs, she’s a smaller girl. She has jumped from my bed which is slightly high. I don’t think she’s in pain, she acts normal and is very playful. Please someone help me! The second photo shows the difference between the two front paws, the one closer to the camera is the bent one.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it hasn't always been like that? If she just broke it, I imagine she would be limping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyyrenee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it hasn't always been like that? If she just broke it, I imagine she would be limping.
I have pictures and videos of her as a kitten and it’s not like that I’m worried! But she’s acting normal otherwise

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried touching the paw to see if it seems sensitive? I would be worried too. But there's probably not much you can do, except to take her to the vet as soon as possible.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be something like hyperextension, or it can be a symptom of several other issues, even feline neuropathy, Diabetics. I wouldn't try to guess. I would get her a vet visit as soon as possible. Hopefully it is not anything serious with her. She is a beautiful little girl!

haleyyrenee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried touching the paw to see if it seems sensitive? I would be worried too. But there's probably not much you can do, except to take her to the vet as soon as possible.
Yeah, I bent it where it’s supposed to bend and she didn’t mind at all. I plan on calling tomorrow to get her seen for sure. I was hoping maybe someone has dealt with this before

haleyyrenee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be something like hyperextension, or it can be a symptom of several other issues, even feline neuropathy, Diabetics. I wouldn't try to guess. I would get her a vet visit as soon as possible. Hopefully it is not anything serious with her. She is a beautiful little girl!
I definitely am calling tomorrow to get her seen! I really hope it’s nothing serious, I’m so worried

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I bent it where it’s supposed to bend and she didn’t mind at all. I plan on calling tomorrow to get her seen for sure. I was hoping maybe someone has dealt with this before
I'm sorry I could not help. At least she does not seem to be in pain.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely am calling tomorrow to get her seen! I really hope it’s nothing serious, I’m so worried
I really hope it isnt either, and chances are that its not. These are some worst case issues, hopefully hers is nothing bad. Try not to stress, but do get her in soon so you know. Keep us updated, we are all concerned with you.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, please let us know what the vet says. We get concerned right along with you.

haleyyrenee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really hope it isnt either, and chances are that its not. These are some worst case issues, hopefully hers is nothing bad. Try not to stress, but do get her in soon so you know. Keep us updated, we are all concerned with you.
thank you! I will post an update as soon as I take her in! They usually can get her in within a day or two, thank goodness

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That doesn't look good. I am glad to hear you are taking her to the vet. Be prepared for the cost of x-rays and blood testing as they are probably likely. Please let us know how it goes.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My parents got a black puppy when I was small, and kept Chester gated at night. He would somehow jump over it, they made a higher one, and heard a loud yelp. When they ran down to check, he was running around and wagging his tail, they checked him over and he was fine. It wasn’t until YEARS later that he began limping and the vet said it was a very old break from when he was still very small and growing. He hadn’t been bothered until arthritis set in, and it had grown together (not nearly as it should) but not so it was visible or caused a limp. She may not be in pain, which is good, but I am glad you are bringing her. I wonder if Cats have a form of Ehlers Danlos? It’s a disease that causes frequent, even constant joint dislocation, I have it- and we get used to it. It’s not that it doesn’t hurt, it’s just that we live with the pain as normal to us, I never knew I had something to complain about, so I didn’t complain. She would just rest if it hurt, but not limp if it’s like the human form, that’s how most of us are? I’m glad she has you!:)

haleyyrenee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My parents got a black puppy when I was small, and kept Chester gated at night. He would somehow jump over it, they made a higher one, and heard a loud yelp. When they ran down to check, he was running around and wagging his tail, they checked him over and he was fine. It wasn’t until YEARS later that he began limping and the vet said it was a very old break from when he was still very small and growing. He hadn’t been bothered until arthritis set in, and it had grown together (not nearly as it should) but not so it was visible or caused a limp. She may not be in pain, which is good, but I am glad you are bringing her. I wonder if Cats have a form of Ehlers Danlos? It’s a disease that causes frequent, even constant joint dislocation, I have it- and we get used to it. It’s not that it doesn’t hurt, it’s just that we live with the pain as normal to us, I never knew I had something to complain about, so I didn’t complain. She would just rest if it hurt, but not limp if it’s like the human form, that’s how most of us are? I’m glad she has you!:)
That honestly makes me feel better. I hope it’s just a sprain or something. She is really little, so I think maybe jumping on my bed every day is what has irritated her paw. I’m calling the vet tomorrow, hopefully they can give some insight on how to fix it!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happens to some large-breed puppies at certain points in their growth. It's called down pasterns, technically carpal subluxation syndrome. I've never seen it in cats. In dogs it can be caused by an unbalanced diet or too little exercise, but is also genetic.

Let us know what the vet says!

haleyyrenee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I took her in today. The vet didn’t seem concerned at all. She moved it around, and bent it to make sure it wasn’t bothering her and watched her walk and said it’s notbing to be concerned about. She said she may have been born that way, she just walks further back on her paw pad than the other foot. She said she can do an x ray, but there’s not much of a point because she doesn’t feel anything broken and she doesn’t show signs of pain or limping. She said to keep an eye on it, and it should work itself out, or it will just be how her paw is!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I took her in today. The vet didn’t seem concerned at all. She moved it around, and bent it to make sure it wasn’t bothering her and watched her walk and said it’s notbing to be concerned about. She said she may have been born that way, she just walks further back on her paw pad than the other foot. She said she can do an x ray, but there’s not much of a point because she doesn’t feel anything broken and she doesn’t show signs of pain or limping. She said to keep an eye on it, and it should work itself out, or it will just be how her paw is!
Ok, well i am very happy at that! Keep us updated on how she is doing, pretty kitty. :)