help-kittens and litter box issue

gardencats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 10 week old kittens I have had for about 3 weeks. they use their box fine and so far there have been no issues. But lately they both seem to get their poop everywhere! It gets stuck on their paws and then they fling it all around my bathroom and track it around the house!
it's an everyday mess at this point and im wondering if there is anyway I can help prevent this. I use Cedar-ific litter which is a light wt. and not pellet. Should I try pellets? I used clay for about one day when i ran out of the cedar and had to use it in a pinch and that was worse then the cedar stuff as far as mess.

It also isnt a poop issue because their poops look fine and the food is high quality and agrees with them nicely ( Taste of the Wild).

Any advice would be appreciated :)

crystaldawn87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just going to throw a couple of suggestions out that my help and are fairly simple.

is it possible for you to clean out their box more often? this may help.

Are they stepping in it while going or trying to cover it maybe and then getting it everywhere else. If so then a larger box maybe helpful as it will give them more room to move about to go and cover.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gardencats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I clean it out every time they poop, if I am home, or do it immediately when i get home. I also do a complete clean almost once a week. The box is fairly large but I have a bigger one with high sides I can try out. They seem to be stepping in it while they try to bury it and then also getting it on the burying paw :/ 

the catsage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This might be very obvious, but have you tried adding more litter to the box? I've had this problem until I've almost doubled the quantity of litter, way more than my vet told me to use. Now they bury it just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gardencats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually started doing that after posting this and it has improved the situation somewhat! I also added another box that is deeper and a bit wider on top of the other box so now they have two boxes and my tiny bathroom is running out of space :)