Help! Kitten Swallowed Rubber Nipple!

Kittennn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I recently adopted a 6 week old kitten. I was bottle feeding her and she chewed off the entire rubber nipple. She eats wet food, but I will bottle feed from time to time for comfort reasons, she was a stray and never had her mother.

I took her to the vet immediately and they attempted to make her throw up three times with no luck. they did an X-ray and can see the nipple in her stomach.

They said they could do surgery, but that would cost $2,000. I'm not willing to pay that much. It already cost me $550 for them to induce vomiting and i'm not willing to spend $2,550 on vet bills, or go into debt, for a kitten I got less than a week ago.

Please give me some advice on what I can do at home to give this little angel the best chance of survival.

Also, she is doing amazing physically, learning to run around, sleeping, purring tons, eating plenty, pooping great etc.

Thanks in advance!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
K Kittennn

Is it the entire nipple? Or just the tip?

When did this occur? Has she pooped since swallowing it?

Kittens have swallowed the tips off nipples and passed them in their stools, but an entire nipple could potentially cause a blockage. A blockage would cause serious health issues.

Did the vet think it might pass or not?

I assume you are not giving her a bottle again now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittennn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
K Kittennn

Kittens have swallowed the tips off nipples and passed them in their stools, but an entire nipple could potentially cause a blockage. A blockage would cause serious health issues.

Entire Nipple, has pooped 4 times since swallowing, all normal. Vet said there is a small chance of it passing, but also probably wouldn't have minded making $2,000 for a 1 hour surgery.

Kittennn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
K Kittennn

Well, it wasn't the ENTIRE nipple, it was the entire cylindrical portion, she bit it off. I'd guess it was maybe a centimeter long and maybe 1/4-1/2 centimeter diameter.

Kittennn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It should pass. Have you been checking the poops?
Awesome, I hope so. Yes, have been checking all her poops. What do you recommend for food/ water intake. right now i'm feeding her as much as she likes (wetfood) and have been adding extra water in hopes that it will make it easier to pass.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I have had that happen with many a kitten - my vet has advised me to watch for symptoms such as straining to go potty or vomiting (she also reassured me that nipples usually pass through, and she has lots of experience with feral cats) but I have not had any problems (will always be on the alert, though). I prefer the rubber nipples from FourPaws pet nursers because they are more durable and feral kittens prefer them. AS far as force-weaning, if the kitten still has the urge to suckle and doesn't get it satisfied, there is a good chance that she will "suck wool" when she is older; if you do decide to give her bottles, you will need to be hypervigilant when she turns her jaw sideways to chomp down.
You should check with your vet about a lubricant; my vet recommends a small amount of Vaseline or coconut oil. And yes, the wet food and extra water (you could also try broth or water with tuna juice) are good choices. Also, you can continue to offer her milk/formula in a dish as opposed to a bottle, in case it's the formula that she is after and not just satisfying the urge to suckle. Many kittens nurse from their mother until 8-10 weeks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you are doing all you can do, other than to add a drop or two of olive oil to her food for easy passage. This could result in looser stools temporarily.

I would not worry unless she's straining, vomiting or lethargic.

c4urjoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What was the outcome!? My 5wk old kitten ate the tip off his brand new pet AG nurser yesterday. Deathly worried!

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What was the outcome!? My 5wk old kitten ate the tip off his brand new pet AG nurser yesterday. Deathly worried!
We dont know the outcome. I presume it went OK. While you wait for the poo, get home liquid paraffine, preferably vet label.

K Kittennn

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call your vet but please know that this is a very common situation. My kittens grew into healthy cats. Lance is now 7. since my cats were babies, the Miracle Nipple has come on the market and I am THRILLED with how well they work. My current singleton just graduated from the mini Miracle Nipple to regular Miracle Nipple. I got the minis from the original company.
and Welcome to TCS!!

Miracle Nipple Brand Collection

2blackkittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I was wondering what happened with your kitten?? My 4 week old foster kitten just did this and now I’m very worried. She is acting fine right now of course. Right before she swallowed it she went potty and made a really big stool so I’m not sure when she will go again.