Help kitten stuck inside?

franci

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello i need some advice my cat (La sophie) just had kittens 3 days ago.. she had 4 kittens 2 died at birth and one died the next day..... my problem is i thought she was done having kittens she wasnt in labor anymore.. her tummy still looked fat but thought this was just normal from having them babys in her... well my 18 year old daughter was rubbing her belly and felt somthing so she had me come check.. sure enough i felt somthing round like the size of maybe a baby kitten head... maybe even a bit larger..... she had a rough time in labor..... i called the vet they said since she was eating and drinking fine that it wasnt urgent.. so they said to bring her in tomorrow since it is after hours..... her ears also feel a little warmer than normal.. other wise she seems fine is there anyhting i can do to help her?will she pass this baby if thats what it is on her own?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh dear ... keep a VERY close eye on her tonight and get her in to the vet at the FIRST humanly possible moment. He/She is your first line of defense. If she starts showing any distress or looks like she is having contractions but not expelling anything, might be a really good idea to get her in to the ER vet. A little spotting of blood is normal after delivery, but if the discharge is heavy or contains pus, get her to see a vet tonight, do not wait - it could be life-threatening.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you take her temperature? That will be most telling about whether or not she is having problems. If she begins to bleed heavily or discharges anything please get her to the vet quickly. I am sorry you lost the babies, I know how distressing that is

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franci

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Can you take her temperature? That will be most telling about whether or not she is having problems. If she begins to bleed heavily or discharges anything please get her to the vet quickly. I am sorry you lost the babies, I know how distressing that is
dont want to sound stupid but how do u check a cats temp?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With a rectal thermometer ... preferably a flexible one if you aren't experienced at it.

It is probably better that you don't take her temp if you have never done it before - but do keep an eye on her, check her frequently - how is she doing now?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very carefully and rectally- so you need a pet thermometer-

franci

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

With a rectal thermometer ... preferably a flexible one if you aren't experienced at it.

It is probably better that you don't take her temp if you have never done it before - but do keep an eye on her, check her frequently - how is she doing now?
she is fine just laying in the box nursing the one kitten she has left.. she is acting fine she is eating and going to bathroom ok... she doesnt seem like she is in any pain

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK that sounds good ... but you are planning to take her and her little one in to be seen first thing in the morning, right? Also, just as a matter of course, you might want to discuss with your vet when she can be spayed. Some will do it now, some want to wait until any kittens are weaned.

franci

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

OK that sounds good ... but you are planning to take her and her little one in to be seen first thing in the morning, right? Also, just as a matter of course, you might want to discuss with your vet when she can be spayed. Some will do it now, some want to wait until any kittens are weaned.
yes thats the plan first thing in morning.... im not gonna get no sleep tonight from worrying about her.. shes our baby.. and yes gonna get her spayed... asap

franci

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes i will.. i have another question about a male cat..can i ask that here or do i need to post it somewhere else

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have you and your cat in my prayers as well. Put on some coffee and I am sure you will have board company all night-

franci

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
question.. what r the possiblitys that this isnt a kitten?? i mean if it is why didnt she have it when she had all the rest?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are several things this could be. But the best scenario is to get her to the vet and get her looked at and evaluated as quickly as you can.

mferr84

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just reading this thread and was wondering if there was any news yet.
I will keep you and your kitties in my thoughts.
Hope all goes well.

franci

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well just got back from vet.. there is defiantly at least one more kitten inside... i just borrowed 40 bucks for this visit now vet wont do anyhting more unless i come up with $130.00 total cost of surgury to remove baby $265.00.....husband just lost his job march 23rd and isnt having luck finding another.... so as far as money goes.. i dont have a dime left to my name ... i am so upset..... ive called around to see about getitng help there is nothing out there....... so what do i do just sit and watch her die???????oh i cant do that HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

mercie_me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
u poor thing, I know how u feel, I just went through this with my Baby, The ER Vet wanted 100$ to walk through the door and 265$ for everything else. Its hard being on a fixed income... I think the vet is wrong, to not do it unless u can pay, I would go to the SPCA, I had to take my Siamese there a few years back she was in labour and could nt push the kittens out, the did an emergency c sec and gave her a rabies shot. the kittens were fine. better yet they let me work out a payment plan. This is where I go for there shots to as its a lot less expensive and the veterinarian helps me with the flea drops supply and the ear drops for ear mites... How is your cat? I do hope she is OK... Ur in my thoughts and prayers....

mercie_me

franci

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
spca?? whats that....... just got off phone with animal control to seeif there was anyhting they can do.. like i figured nothing! ive called around to our local paws nothing they can do either i have called several vets nothign they can do until they see her and the intial cost of firts visit is between 31 and 50 bucks i had to borrow for the first visit to vet just so he could tell me what i allready knew.......... this is so frustrating...... im in Aberdeen WA