Help - kitten just been spayed !

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know why more vets don't offer this option especially for cats. When I put my little homemade device on Frog she perked up right away too.  What a precious little baby that is.

kitty loves

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A Thunder Coat works wonders! It's calms the cat and hopefully will cover her wound. Cats hate cones but now they make one that is rubber and you blow it up. Way way way better alternative than the cone of shame.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know ! It's probably to do with cost! The vet and the pet store where the vet is situated in both said they do not stock a comfy cone and had to go on the Internet ! If it's to do with cost the vet should at least if you the option to pay more if you can afford it for a better one ! I would have paid £20 more on the day just so she was happy !

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I know ! It's probably to do with cost! The vet and the pet store where the vet is situated in both said they do not stock a comfy cone and had to go on the Internet ! If it's to do with cost the vet should at least if you the option to pay more if you can afford it for a better one ! I would have paid £20 more on the day just so she was happy !
I felt the same way. At least give me the option. Not sure how it worked at your vet but we get an estimate high/low and can choose some options when we scheduled the spays.

angiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All cats are different. When I had my first cat spayed it was much like your situation. Hated the cone, hated me, woukd not sit still. I toook her cone off because she was so distressed by it. I watched her for several hours abd fwld sure she seemed uninterested in her stitches. Went to sleep. Woke up, cat had ripped out all her stitches. Went to vet to get open wound cleaned and closed. Had to start alllll over with time Cone had to be back on. Cat Hated me for a few days. Felt bad for kitty and took her cone off again. She went right for incision. Tried to put a shirt on her but she chewed through it. It wasn't the smell of the vets. Kitty knew something foreign was on her and she wanted that stitches OFF! I thought I had permanently ruined her temperament. As soon as the ordeal was over and done could come off she was back to her normal self in a few days.

Next cat. Spayed. Oblivious to wound, jumping off the walls and going crazy. Kitty would NOT rest. She had to go in large dog crate with litter box, food and bed. For a week ! She never messed with her incision.

Third cat spayed. No messing with incision, no jumping, it all went PERFECT!

It's best to do what vet says and she will find a way to accommodate the cone. She will return to normal. I know tue cone is stressful but she needs to heal.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
All cats are different. When I had my first cat spayed it was much like your situation. Hated the cone, hated me, woukd not sit still. I toook her cone off because she was so distressed by it. I watched her for several hours abd fwld sure she seemed uninterested in her stitches. Went to sleep. Woke up, cat had ripped out all her stitches. Went to vet to get open wound cleaned and closed. Had to start alllll over with time Cone had to be back on. Cat Hated me for a few days. Felt bad for kitty and took her cone off again. She went right for incision. Tried to put a shirt on her but she chewed through it. It wasn't the smell of the vets. Kitty knew something foreign was on her and she wanted that stitches OFF! I thought I had permanently ruined her temperament. As soon as the ordeal was over and done could come off she was back to her normal self in a few days.

Next cat. Spayed. Oblivious to wound, jumping off the walls and going crazy. Kitty would NOT rest. She had to go in large dog crate with litter box, food and bed. For a week ! She never messed with her incision.

Third cat spayed. No messing with incision, no jumping, it all went PERFECT!

It's best to do what vet says and she will find a way to accommodate the cone. She will return to normal. I know tue cone is stressful but she needs to heal.

Last edited:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I felt the same way. At least give me the option. Not sure how it worked at your vet but we get an estimate high/low and can choose some options when we scheduled the spays.
The vet gave me no choice ! It was a standard fee! I wouldn't mind but wiish the store stocked better versions of the cone ! We've noticed she only takes the cone off when we are here ! It's like she knows if she gets in trouble we Are here ! When we are out she won't attempt to take cone off and sleeps in her basket

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd rather have her have a cone on rather than having her pull out the stitches. Yes  many cats don't bother them, but every cat reacts differently.

My parent's cat had just been neutered a few weeks ago and he had the cone on for a few days because he was licking. You definitely don't want her to be resewn as it's painful.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I'd rather have her have a cone on rather than having her pull out the stitches. Yes  many cats don't bother them, but every cat reacts differently.

My parent's cat had just been neutered a few weeks ago and he had the cone on for a few days because he was licking. You definitely don't want her to be resewn as it's painful.
I think the discussion is not that cones are bad just that some cones are better than others and veterinarians would have better compliance with their treatment plan if the more modern version was offered.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I second this. I had a rather horrifying experience with this when Hector ripped out her stitches and all the blood was everywhere I was only 11 when this happened so it was rather traumatizing for me. They wound up stapling Hector's incision closed.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think the discussion is not that cones are bad just that some cones are better than others and veterinarians would have better compliance with their treatment plan if the more modern version was offered.
I'm not saying someone said they are bad and I am not trying to get into a debate. :) I just know sometimes they are necessary as I have had pets that needed the cones and worked at the shelter where dogs needed cones.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As I mentioned before, my cats have to external stitches to pull out.  Incision is a tiny hole really since she uses a scope and hook technique to retrieve the uterus and ovaries.  The only time there is an incision larger than that is for C-section or a pymetra.  Still many people buy the cones, which they ccharge $10 for.  She does offer take-home oral pain medication (buprenorphine) already premeasured in tiny syrnges with directions to give one dose between gum and cheek at 7 PM and then the other doses 12 hours apart.  I have always done it this way with this vet and had zero problems.  If their tummy doesn't hurt, they don't bother it.  They may lick around the area once or twice to remove the ikky antiseptic smell and then they leave it alone. 

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been 7 days now and she's healing nicely ! Vet said she gave her long lasting pain killers so didn't have to give her anything else ! She has cone off when we are with her and she s not been too bad ! Think she was more frustrated not being able to wash herself !