Help! Kitten Gets Waste All Over Him When Going Bathroom

Lex.richens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 5 week year old kitten boy gets urine all over his legs and stomach, he also gets poop over his back legs and tail. It gets ready hard to constantly clean it. Currently I have a small spray bottle with water and kitten shampoo that I lightly spray over the area and wipe or if it’s bad I wash the bottom half with warm water. How do I teach him to do it so he won’t get it all over himself? It is not the litter box as he is going toilet on towel/paper towels.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is 5 weeks old? Does he have a mom? He may still need to be stimulated to pee and poop if he's younger than you think. Otherwise, he should be introduced to a litter box.

He should really still be with mom, though, so he may need some extra help.

What is he eating?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, at that young age they are still pretty helpless.
Also, it may be so his poo is too rare, ie more or less diarrhea??

If you help him to stimulate, you will get this waste elimination in a more controlled form.

I too ask, what he is eating.
If goats milk / kmr, his poo may be soft - toothpaste type. If more regular food, it should be more as small pears or olives, or possibly short sausages.

If its really watery, he must have extra salts aside of extra fluids. You can begin with common kitchen salt.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs a litter box. The towels, paper may be riding up and deflecting the urine/waste. He needs to be able to dig a hole to go in, it may help. a cardboard 'flat' found in your local liquor store's trash can would be the perfect size to start with. Put newspaper under it and litter in it.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It may just take some time for him to become more coordinated...my dad has a cat who was getting poop all over himself every time he went to the bathroom, and they were having to give lots of baths, but he outgrew it as he got older and more capable. Hang in there!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Peaches was found in a whole 5 weeks old. At first she would play in it but soon after started using it. Dr Elseys cat Attract for kittens learning is at Petco. Yesterday News is usually suggested by vets. Shredded cardboard.more expensive. Only at vets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lex.richens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is eatin kitten food soft mixed with some kitten biscuits and his poop is like sausages, not running but on a rare occasion has been, he is also drinking the kitten milk bought from the stores, he only gets a tiny bit of poop on himself it’s more the urine that covers his belly and hind legs

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is eatin kitten food soft mixed with some kitten biscuits and his poop is like sausages, not running but on a rare occasion has been, he is also drinking the kitten milk bought from the stores, he only gets a tiny bit of poop on himself it’s more the urine that covers his belly and hind legs
Is he nursing still from his mother?