HELP!Kitten being rejected!

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww I am sorry about the little baby but sometimes its natures way no matter what we try to do. Please try not to be upset with the mother cat.

I had the same thing happen to me many years ago. A cat I had delivered two kittens but she wanted nothing to do with either. We tried the eye dropper and the baby formula but after two days the both passed on.

I was seven months pregnant at the time and I was heart broken. I started to doubt becoming a mother of a newborn. I mean if I could not take care of some kittens how was I going to take care of a baby.

But the kittens were ill. The mother cat left them for a reason. It is her instinct to do so or to even shun a baby if there is something wrong.

I know in your eyes he was a perfect angel and he always will be.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you lost your wee baby. It is a sad experience, when they die, but at least he died, warm happy and above all loved and in your arms. (I get the impression he was in your arms/ up your shirt).
This is not the same circumstance but when I was 15, I saw my poor Tiger, (tabby) hit by a car, he was only 4 months old. I picked him up and held him whist he passed, I believe that he died much happier being held by me.

I know you will never forget that poor kitten.

caitscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol, I don't have time to read all the other threads so I will give my advice and hope it hasn't already been given.

Just a couple of months back I had to try and care for a new kitten who was attacked by a wild animal. About a week old (I know a bit older then your guy). He had to have stitches as the wild animal left horrible wounds all over his little body.
These were the vets instructions...
I was given a formual from the vets office (probably best place to go). Give it to your kitten using a syringe. The kitten won't have a great suction and the nipples used on kitten/puppy bottles are often too large for new kittens/puppies. On the formula container it will say how much to feed daily and you divide those feedings up into about 6-8 times daily so he is being fed every 3-4 hours. Keep him warm, with a heating pad wrapped in a blanket. Don't smother him or surrond him with so many blankets that he can crawl and get sufficated. Maybe put a stuffed animal with him so he feels that he is not alone. Most importantly, give him lots of love and attention. If an animal doesn't feel love or care he will probably just give up. OH and you have to stimulate the kittens bum to make him pee/poop. THIS IS A MUST! I cut up many pieces of paper towel and after every feeding I patted his bum with the paper towel with warm water until he would pee/pooh. 95% of the time they will go pee AND poo right after eating so you need to make sure he has done this before you give up the tapping on the bum as the only way he will be able to go to the washroom is from you doing this.
My little Lukoki died about a week after I started this. He got an infection as the vets stitched up his wounds (which you are NOT suppose to do with a puncture wound) and didn't give him antibiotics (because of his age).
I wish you the best of luck. A kitten raised by a human (although it is not a good idea unless necissary, is normally the suckiest, sweetest little thing in the world). I have bottle fed and raised MANY, MANY kittens over the past tweleve years, and most of them have survived and found great homes. DO NOT GIVE UP.
Caitlin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbytail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your kind words of support

I have a new problem, one of the remaining ones started running away from the mother and crying but I was right there and caught him every time and put him back. He seemed fine after that, and was doing fine, but this evening he started crying, I mean intermitten cries that sound almost human. It's very heartbreaking. He seems a little slower and weaker than the rest, but he's not cold and is still moving. I fed him the kitten formula just in case he wasn't getting milk. The mother cat at first started to reject him but when she saw me giving him attention she took him back and started licking him and is hugging him between her paws while the healthy ones are sucking. I wonder if he's sick to his stomach or is something terribly wrong? I can't take another loss. Does anybody know anything this might be, how serious it is, and what I can immediately do? I've read the links again but don't see this problem. Thanks for any help.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not exactly sure on this one, but it could possibly be that this one is sick as well and mom just knows it. It's instinct and sometimes hard for us to tell. There is also the chance that mom is just unsure of what to do. First time moms and young moms sometimes have problems. Just keep doing what you're doing - putting the baby back. Try to get him to suckle off of mom, but if he doesn't, you'll have to go into bottle feedings for him and he might become your bottle baby. Just make sure he's getting enough nutrients and keep him warm. You'll probably have to keep a closer eye on him and mom and they way they are interacting to make sure of this.

y4j

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I too have this similar problem..

See, I woke up today to hear one of my kittens crying (My Cat Jessie had her kittens 3 days ago) and when I went downstairs, the kitten was in a corner, PRETTY far from her box.. I know it couldn't have walked that far, so I was ASSUMING it was Jessie.. I put the kitten back in and it seemed Jessie was cool with it, and the kitten started nursing again...

Well a few hours past and then I left for about an hour to come back and the kitten was in the SAME exact corner crying... Im pretty sure now it's Jessie taking the kitten away...

The kitten seems fine though.. Acts just as the others.. Not weak or anything.. Infact, it's probably more active than the others.. Also we went to the vet a day ago and the vet said she and her kittens were good.. I don't know though..

Im thinking maybe the new mommy thing as well.. Jessie is just a LITTLE over a year old, so she is kinda a little one too. But anyways...

You think my situations falls in the same place as well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbytail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PLEASE keep watching it and checking it like every hour. That's how mine started out. They cried, kept moving away, and seemed fine, but they go downhill SO fast you wouldn't believe it. From one hour to the next you may find a weak kitten with crossed legs that is dire emergency. It happens so fast. You think they're okay and they're not. Keep checking! Good luck.