Help! I’ve no idea what to do

NewCatOwner2003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi fellow cat lovers,

I got a cat from a rescue home back in November 2021. She was leaving blood spots around last night so I booked her in with the vet. I woke up this morning to her meowing loudly, something she never does. When I went down to see her I saw a dead animal by her bed.We have a big field next to us so I’ve found little animals, mice etc before but this animal looked a little different. When I went to look closer it was a kitten 🤯 I looked into her bed and saw another kitten and lots of blood. Can a cat give birth to only 2 stillborn kittens? Have they died after being born? What do I do now? My cat won’t stop meowing and following me around now and I don’t know what to do with my cat or the dead kittens?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She might still be in labour. Cats can have very small litters, but it's more common to have 3 or 4 in a litter.

Did the still born babies look premature? Were they fully covered in fur or still pink and bald?

Is your cat panting or pushing as if she might have more kittens to birth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewCatOwner2003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The babies were covered in fur just lifeless when I found them. She’s not panting or pushing now. Just meowing a lot. I did read this morning that you need to leave the dead kittens alone for a while so the cat can realise they’re dead?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, cats grieve for dead kittens. She knew she was pregnant so must be meowing to let you know something was wrong.

Leave the kittens on a towel close to her bed for a while. Sometimes cats try to eat dead kittens. If she does this it's just part of her nature, don't let it upset you.

:hugs:

Did she deliver the placentas too? When is her vet appointment?

She may still have kittens, you'll need the vet to do an ultra sound to make sure. Take a look at some of these articles and if she starts panting, straining, bleeding or acting distressed in any way be prepared to rush her to an ER vet.

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – TheCatSite Articles

Post-birth Complications In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewCatOwner2003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your help, really appreciate it. I couldn’t see any placenta, her vets appointment is next week but will but it forward or take her to the er vet later if she’s still the same

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's important that she delivers the placenta as well. Do you think she could have eaten it before you noticed? You mentioned a lot of blood, was this all liquid or any tissue mixed in with it?

She can get very ill from a placenta still in her uterus, so if you have any doubts at all please call your vet and ask if they can see her sooner rather than later.

Good luck, please keep us posted

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she has no further live kittens, you may want to go ahead and book her in for a spay to avoid any future pregnancies or other health issues.

Cats who have just delivered are in a high hormonal state. It can take a few days for her hormones to calm down, thus the meowing and following you around to let you know about her kittens. Spend some time with her and talk to her in a soothing voice in the meantime.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's good. Very sad for her to have lost her kittens, but I'm glad there weren't any lasting health problems. Getting her spayed is the best step. She'll have a much better life with you that way.

:heartshape:

We'd love to see some pictures of her.