Help, introducing a new cat to the home

northwest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I've had my cat Bubby now for a few months and he is doing excellent. We have bonded strongly.

He is very easygoing, docile, bangle tabby, fixed, who would rather make friends than war. He is very, very affectionate. I work from home and my cat is constantly seeking my attention, always wants to play, jumping on my desk and playing soccer with a loose quarter or pen cap. He often scratches at pages of magazines in curiosity to see what is between the pages. (very cute!) He often can be heard meowing as if he is saying "Come on now! Play with me will ya?" In addition to all the cat toys he has I spend quality time with him after work but I felt it was time to get him a friend—A second cat.

Yesterday I got a very beautiful, calico, fixed female, same age as Bubby, a little over a year old. At the previous owners home, she was calm and friendly and came up to me rubbing her head on my arm. I thought, she would make a perfect companion.

When I brought the calico home, Bubby was very polite and to my surprise, not jealous at all, showing no signs of nervousness, fear—Just very curious and quiet and eager to play. The calico however started hissing and growling at both me and Bubby through the grate and holes in the carrier. Very different behavior from my initial meeting. I was afraid to let it out of the carrier in fear it might scratch me or hurt Bubby and thought perhaps the Calico is not a good fit.

The cat is now in a spare bedroom by itself with its own litter box, food and water.

It's only been 1 day and I was considering returning the cat, but after doing a bit of reading on the web I understand it takes time to acclimate the cat to it's new surroundings and my cat.

Is it normal for a new cat to act this way? Hissing, growing, hiding? Is this indication that the calico will stay aggressive or do you think I still have a chance to win the calico over and provide a playmate and friend for my Tabby?

What steps should I take to get the calico accustomed to me, the home, and my cat, and bond? I want to give the new cat proper time to see if it can adjust.

Following the steps that you suggest, how long should I give it a chance before I decide its not a fiit?

Thanks for your help

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, females are much more territorial than males, so you have one strike against you.

However, when we brought Ella home, she was much as you describe your girl. Hissy, swatty, etc. It took a couple of weeks, but she was soon wrestling with the "old hands," being right next to them at feeding time, etc.

Give it a little time, and don't panic.