Help -- Indoor cat trying to go outdoors

hayley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

My 10-month-old kitten, Lucy (the age is an estimate because we found her and her siblings dumped on a rural road) is an indoor cat. However, recently, she has been very curious about open doors, and has even gone as far as to bolt out between your legs when a door is opened. I am very concerned about this; we live in busy neighborhood, and in our backyard is a large forest where fishers and foxes have been spotted. We don't want her to get outside, but what should we do? I was thinking of satisfying her curiousity by taking her outside on a harness and showing her the grounds around the house just incase she gets out. Also, do cats go far when they first go outside? She's fixed, if that has anything to do with her straying. Owners of indoor cats, how do you deal with this issue?

Thanks for your help!

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep a large dog "choke chain" looped around the door knobs of all exit doors. Every time I am going in I throw one ahead of me. Every time I go out I throw one behind me. Anything noisy will work- soda cans with pennies, or an aluminum pie pan- anything. I just find the chains easier to deal with. All you want to do is startle the cat enough to make it wary of the door.

I toyed with the idea of taking mine out on a leash, but if they really enjoyed it wouldn't they find it even more frustrating to keep them indoors? Like why give them a taste if you can't give them a meal.
I don't know- it's a conundrum.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two youngest siamese who are 10 months and 7 months have never been outside so a few weeks ago I bought a harness and took them out, I really wish i hadn't of the youngest one Reilly now trys his darndest to get out everytime he even thinks your going to open a door hes at it.He did sneak out by once thank goodness I live on a private dirt road no traffic and wooded so I didn't have to worry about traffic. I did manage to get him back quickly.He now meows and meows and meowssssss all the time wanting to get out. he didn't used to do this untill I took him out. So I think if I hadn't of took him out he would not be so vocal and wanting to get outside.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's what I was afraid would happen with mine. My area is not safe and I don't think I'm going to take them outside ever. It's kind of sad, but for the best. (((sigh)))

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only 2 of mine like to go outside, they never meow at the door and in fact will run away from it when they don't have their harnesses on.
I take them out at roughly the same time each day, weather permitting.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she spayed? Because if she isn't, and it's spring, she's going to be looking for Prince Charming out there, and go nuts trying to do it. Either get her spayed, or if she is already, just be very alert.

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know what your living situation is, but if they really want to go out, and you are lucky enough to have the space, what about building a small outside cage or enclosure they could safety hang out in for a little while at times?

If they do accidentally get out, and take off, if they've been with you a long time, they know where they live, and will probably come back. I had a foster who was with me for about 2 months get out, and the rescue said she was there long enough to know where she lived.

Sure enough, I put out some food (dry, very loudly, in a metal bowl) that night about 3 a.m., closed the door, waited a minute nad opened the door. There she was eating, along with two friends she had brought with her for dinner. LOL

She sat down and looked at me. I pointed to the door and said, "Get you kitten butt in there this minute!" She got up and walked in and never went back to the door. She had escaped during the 2 coldest days in the winter, and I think that taught her it was much better inside. LOL

punkinhead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hayley

I was thinking of satisfying her curiousity by taking her outside on a harness and showing her the grounds around the house just incase she gets out.
Been there, tried that. It didn't work.

Originally Posted by Hayley

Also, do cats go far when they first go outside?
Morgan always came back within 24 hours. I'm really not sure how far she went. But now that she's 11 years old, she usually doesn't even leave my yard.

Throwing something noisy sounds like a good thing to try.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Charmed654321

I don't know what your living situation is, but if they really want to go out, and you are lucky enough to have the space, what about building a small outside cage or enclosure they could safety hang out in for a little while at times?

If they do accidentally get out, and take off, if they've been with you a long time, they know where they live, and will probably come back. I had a foster who was with me for about 2 months get out, and the rescue said she was there long enough to know where she lived.

Sure enough, I put out some food (dry, very loudly, in a metal bowl) that night about 3 a.m., closed the door, waited a minute nad opened the door. There she was eating, along with two friends she had brought with her for dinner. LOL

She sat down and looked at me. I pointed to the door and said, "Get you kitten butt in there this minute!" She got up and walked in and never went back to the door. She had escaped during the 2 coldest days in the winter, and I think that taught her it was much better inside. LOL
My 4 were inside/outside cats when I rescued them. Kotton will happily stay in the back yard so will Missy and so far Panther. I let them out usually 2 times a day.

Panther is on leash as is Ben and he is - so far - very good. Ben on the other hand is ALWAYS looking for a way to escape, He goes over fences (WITH NETTING OVER THEM) in harness and leash. Tell HIM to get his kitty butt back inside and HE will tell you I WON'T! <sigh>

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL22/5.../105837947.jpg

Benji with half his head and body and legs on other side of netting on side fence trying to get over it