Help! Immense guilt about kitten left behind, I took siblings and mom :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazzystarr22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'M SO HAPPY!! YAY!! :D

Okay, so for anyone interested this is what happened. 

The manager 's son texted me saying 

"OK so its in my storage but we won't be able to get him out. I already had him but wen I carried him he slipped and jumped from my arm so now he is inside the storage but he has one way out and I put a trap there."

I sent back

"Oh yay that is awesome! Thank you so much for the update! Do you have any food for bait? I have a bunch of really smelly and enticing tuna and seafood cat food to bring over for bait if you want."

He says 

"Yes, I have food. Everything is fine :)"

And then 5 minutes later he calls. I have a new phone that I'm still figuring out, so I either hung up before answering or did something. I tried calling back, but I think it went to voicemail. It was hard to hear. 

I started texting him back, and all the sudden my boyfriend calls. He tells me Hugo has caught the kitty! :D

I first was in utter disbelief. Then, pure joy. 

I was finishing up on a walk with my dog, so we sprinted home. I raced inside and grabbed the carrier, and then ran over to across the street. Low and behold, sat the little kitty in the trap!

I was about to try to open it and get her in there in the parking garage, but at the last second decided that would be the dumbest idea in the world, because my luck, I'd screw it up and she'd escape. I just kept staring at the 5"gap between the carrier and trap (since the carrier is taller) thinking "this is a bad idea.".

(Even now, I just cringe and don't even want to think about how absolutely miserable and terrible that would of been.)

Instead, I carried her back to my home with a towel over her (the one that smells like her family), and brought her in my bathroom, and then waited for my boyfriend to get home from work. (He works at PETA, so he can leave at the drop of the hat to help a stray animal. Plus, his boss was already aware of the situation as well).

That way, if she managed to get out from the carrier during the transfer, we have a tiny bathroom to catch her in, not a giant parking garage with access to the outdoors. 

Transferring her was painless and really easy. She happily went in the carrier. 

At this point, I was late for work. My boyfriend left to take her to the rescue, and I left to try to catch the bus. (While basically jumping and skipping around, practically in tears because I was so happy and overjoyed. I even smiled at the creepy man that allows hits on me on my way to work, *that's* how happy I was)

The rescue kind of give him the 3rd degree, like they did me about the whole trapping and permit thing. They basically said they'd look up his name if he brought in any more animals, and they'd see he's already turned in a bunch of cats. "One or two is okay, but now at 5 (because it's a MOM AND HER FRICKING 4 KITTENS. Sorry she had so many babies?) we are getting up there and that's a lot."

They said even if we are catching them with our hands, that still counts as trapping and we need a permit and already are at a high number. 

My boyfriend further explained how it was just a mom and her four babies living in the parking garage across the street, and how they were living inside the cars in the engines and what not, and he still basically got the 3rd degree and lectured how that still counts as "trapping 5 cats". 

He wasn't able to get a good pic either, because she was running around the cage and freaking out a bit.

Another odd thing, they wouldn't accept the 20 cans of cat food and the 4/5 can of powder KMR formula I gave to my boyfriend as a donation for them. They told him to keep it for next time. He said we'd just buy more. They said to go ahead and keep  it. He insisted, and then they said "Nah, you should keep it for next time." What? At this point, it was getting awkward, so he just took it back home. 

They did say they would put her with her mom and brothers though. :)

When I got home from work (where I told everyone who would listen about how we caught the last kitten, no one portrayed the amount of enthusiasm I thought such a spectacular event deserved when I told them, except my boss who recently adopted a kitten herself) I moved the trap out of my bathroom into the living room area.

My dog started going bonkers. She was trying to dig under the trap, pawing at, I was so confused. She was going bonkers. I went over and picked it up, and saw a long orangish colored thing in it.

I thought it was one of her nylabones  or chew toys that somehow fell in it, until I examined it closer. It was a HOT DOG.

A WHOLE, HOT DOG. 

That was the bait he was using, a WHOLE HOT DOG. While I know cats are portrayed in Oliver and Company for liking hot dogs, I have yet to find a cat that would be enticed by a whole hot dog over tuna or seafood cat food or even dry cat food.

No wonder why the trap wasn't successful the day before.

Thank god he managed to get her trapped in the storage room and put the trap as her only exit hole, otherwise who knows if we would of ever caught her if that was the bait he was using. 

Well, off to get a good night's sleep finally. I'm so excited to sleep soundly and guilt free knowing the kitten is safe, warm, and with their family now. YAY YAY YAY!

Last edited:

jazzystarr22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think my beloved Jazzykins spirit led the kitten into the trap so she could be saved. Or at least, that's what I'm choosing to think. I sent positive thoughts up to her in rainbow bridge and asked for her help last night. 

(For anyone who didn't read the post, it was awhile ago I posted it, I had to send my kittty Jasmine to rainbow bridge a few months ago. I had her since she was a little bitty kitten, and she was twelve years old. She had been holding her mouth open slightly, took her to the vet thinking it was minor. Got the diagnosis of cancer, did a biopsy, came back positive for oral cell carcinoma. Her quality of life was slowly deteriorating, so I made the decision to have her put down before she had to suffer any).

I can't help but think Jazzy somehow led me to this kitty family so I'd help rescue them. 

jazzystarr22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Random question for everyone, would it be weird to get a gift card to movies (for like $20 there's one in walking distance from us) and some vegan chocolates or something for Hugo and his family?

We wanted to do something nice for them, since they helped so much and it was ultimately Hugo who caught the final kitten. 

So we were thinking about a card (with a cute kitty on it of course), vegan chocolates, and a gift card. 

Would that be weird?

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Random question for everyone, would it be weird to get a gift card to movies (for like $20 there's one in walking distance from us) and some vegan chocolates or something for Hugo and his family?

We wanted to do something nice for them, since they helped so much and it was ultimately Hugo who caught the final kitten. 

So we were thinking about a card (with a cute kitty on it of course), vegan chocolates, and a gift card. 

Would that be weird?
I don't think it is weird at all, I think it is very thoughtful. Once again thank you for saving that little family 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Would that be weird?
That's a great idea! 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I told everyone who would listen about how we caught the last kitten, no one portrayed the amount of enthusiasm I thought such a spectacular event deserved when I told them
   That's funny.  That's why this site is so great--we can share all our stories and people here will understand and be enthusiastic with us.  

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Would that be weird?
I was going to suggest something to thank Hugo with,  In spite of the hot dog, he did a great job!  

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent  GREAT JOB!!!  

Well done you went above and beyond invested time and money to make sure she was safe. Never gave up!!!!  I hope another special kitty finds it's way to you soon.
  Thanks for sharing! 

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hadn't been able to log on in a few days - - and haven't been this happy in awhile to see a post!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! Although I never doubted you ;)  Now, had I known there was a hot dog as the only bait, might have been a little less enthusiastic. Our 4 out of 5 of our TNR'd "ferals" (the feral ones that this fall/winter have almost become "our outside cats" since we fixed them, and now all but one will come gingerly eat turkey out of my hand) - NEVER, even when I'm sure early this summer they were relatively hungry - - - would any but one even touch a hot dog. I used bits of one a few days when I was out of tuna or chicken to work with them - - seasoned meats (like hot dogs and bologna) not only aren't good for them, they seem to know that :)  My husband always says "seems more tasty than mouse brains" (yum!) but they obviously don't think so :)

So it's definitely your Christmas miracle!!! Although a miracle caused by lots of dedication, hard work, time, worry and preparation ;)

I'd absolutely get them something to thank the family!!! Hopefully it'll never happen again - but if it would having them on your side is good. Plus sounds like Hugo in particular really went out of his way. We have neighbors that are friends who wouldn't go to that much effort!

I'm SOOO happy for you :) Merry Christmas! May visions of warm, full, safe kitties dance in your head this Christmas Eve :)