Help-I'm desperate! My cat won't stop scratching and is miserable

burkey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is definitely possible that you could see improvement so quickly!  Some cats do take a bit longer, which is why it's recommended to keep at it for 8 to 12 weeks. I am so excited for you, and I hope that the food change solves the issue entirely!! 

Once your cat's skin has completely calmed down and has healed, please DO try adding wet food back into her diet (give her a couple weeks or so).  Pick one flavor, of one brand at a time.  That way if her skin reacts, you'll know *exactly* what it was and can remove it immediately.

There are other brands of wet food you can try.  What were her favorites? Does she prefer pate or shredded type canned foods?  We can help you determine a few that might be the safest ones to try first.

burkey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with any of the Science Diet foods, so I looked up the ingredients for Adult Sensitive Stomach and Skin.  I've never been a fan of Science Diet (aka Hill's), and seeing these ingredients reminds me why.... this particular variety is complete garbage. That it's labeled sensitive stomach and skin is a joke.

Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Pork Fat, Pork Meal, Dried Egg Product, Whole Grain Corn, Chicken Liver Flavor, Lactic Acid, Oat Fiber, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Iodized Salt, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Tryptophan, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Phosphoric Acid, Beta Carotene, Natural Flavors.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, just in case the food doesn't work--hope it does!!--Id be curious if your vet ruled out ear mites and walking dandruff? Revolution prevents ear mites but isn't very good at killing them if they're already on the cat. They do live on s cats tail because cats curl up with their tails touching their ears. Might it be worth it to get a mite treatment? Some vets will treat without seeing mites because they can be difficult to find on examination.

Last edited: