Help identifying stone?

hadley's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok i forget where i saw it before oh it was in a ross simmons catalog im pretty sure its smoky quartz but in a darker form i looked at you post a few days ago and didnt have a clue then i got that catalog in the mail and i was like hey that looks like that stone the person on the cat site was trying to identfiy so i thougth id let you know
heres a link
http://www.jewelry.ross-simons.com/p..._FAMILY=151555

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful necklace! I have a friend that would go bonkers over it! The first pic reminded me of an amber piece she has, but the others don't. I love jewelry too, but I don't know my stones that well. Just the major types that are used for birthstones and more common and what not.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is driving me nuts...it's been the latest at some of the jewelry shows for stones.
Try next time you're at a department store or happen by a jewelry store, stop by the jewelry counter. I've seen it stores lately as well. If its the same thing that I'm thinking that I see in the pictures, it's mostly black with gold and white flecks in it right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hadley's mom

ok i forget where i saw it before oh it was in a ross simmons catalog im pretty sure its smoky quartz but in a darker form i looked at you post a few days ago and didnt have a clue then i got that catalog in the mail and i was like hey that looks like that stone the person on the cat site was trying to identfiy so i thougth id let you know
heres a link
http://www.jewelry.ross-simons.com/p..._FAMILY=151555
Yeah, the colour is right, but the crystal formation is wrong. quartz is formed in one big crystal, whereas this has many different edges to it internally (I can't remember if that's cleavage or fracture). Maybe I'll get my geology 100 book out today and give it a shot from that.
Thanks for thinking of me though!
Originally Posted by lunasmom

This is driving me nuts...it's been the latest at some of the jewelry shows for stones.
Try next time you're at a department store or happen by a jewelry store, stop by the jewelry counter. I've seen it stores lately as well. If its the same thing that I'm thinking that I see in the pictures, it's mostly black with gold and white flecks in it right?
Well, I think so. I'm not sure if there's something in the stone or if the light is being reflected off of the internal pieces of stone (and sometimes through thin layers of the stone) *shrugs* The pictures are quite accurate, so if it looks like them, you're probably right.
I'll keep my eyes open, for sure.