Help identifying her coat pattern?

pickak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nugget was born black with some white on her stomach. All of her littermates have stayed dark black, she has continued to grt lighter and at 10 weeks her undercoat seems to keep getting lighter too. I'm not sure how to describe her color. Grandma is seal colorpoint, mama is a torbie. Her littermates are black, tortie, and orange and all except the orange are much darker. Is she smoke? Just an interesting black cat? A medium hair tortie? A dark seal (???????) Colorpoint? She does have a lighter undercoat in the places like a smoke would but it doesnt look like the smokes ive seen online. She didn't start out light like a colorpoint so I kind of ruled that out. She's the sweetest, most mellow kitten who loves to go on car rides. She's an absolute sweetheart of a baby regardless of ehat color she is, but I'd like to know what color she is because everyone keeps saying she is brown and I don't think she is.

Pic - next to mama
20231109_151737.jpg

Pic next to my black pants
20231115_070639.jpg

In person the 'colorpoint' affect is a lot more noticeable. Dark legs, tail, face and tips of ears. Maybe just because her hair is shorter?
(SHES SUCH A LITTLE LADY!!! 🥹🥹)
20231113_120824.jpg

20231109_150748.jpg
20231109_151625.jpg
20231109_151609.jpg
20231109_151541.jpg
Next to her black (short hair) littermate, Shadow. Notice he has fading on his head that matches her, maybe it's faded because it's longer?
20231103_071718.jpg

Nuggie next to her tortie (short hair) sister, Hootie. She is substantially fluffier than them in person. We do have a medium hair tortie who is still black, I just don't have a picture of them together.
20231103_071741.jpg

And here is Grandma :)
20201113_152243.jpg
I
20210603_063903.jpg

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gracious, she is stunning. She looks like she has a reddish coat to me, but it is difficult to tell from pictures. Violet was black with a reddish coat, though it wasn't nearly as pronounced. I've never seen a cat with coloring quite like your girl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pickak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh gracious, she is stunning. She looks like she has a reddish coat to me, but it is difficult to tell from pictures. Violet was black with a reddish coat, though it wasn't nearly as pronounced. I've never seen a cat with coloring quite like your girl.
Awwww, do you have pictures of Violet?! Nugget really is a special cat, her personality stood out even before her coat did and everyone seems to be drawn to her. I'm curious how much she will change since she's already changed so much.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like chocolate to me, with a triple coat. Will probably need to get clipped by the groomer when she is an adult.

The colours can also very depending on the device viewing the image. But looks chocolate with red tinges. The first white haired one is probably a fever coat.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do have pictures but unfortunately they are on my old phone. I am hoping I can have them printed off but I can't post them. Violet was a beautiful kitten. Unfortunately, one night Marble (mom who we had spayed) refused to come inside. Violet was also spayed. She never would come in, though. They both disappeared that night. A neighbor feeds what the neighbor next to us described as about 60 cats when we asked if he'd seen them. I think at least one of them would have come home. Sadly, I believe something bad happened.

Violet had more of a reddish hue, made redder by the sun, but wasn't nearly as exotic looking as your kitten.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could be a tortoiseshell in the process of blooming. Maybe, when her kitten coat grows out, she'll become a full fledged tortie.

I agree with others that she's probably got a fever coat, too. Again, that'll grow out as she sheds her kitten coat.

I've been doing some reading, as well. I found an article which says that some kittens' fur can change from black to reddish colored if they have certain vitamin deficiencies in their diet:

Fever Coat in Cats: Our Vet Explains What It Means - Cat-World

About half way down the page:
Black coat turning red

The coat of some cats can develop a reddish-brown hue known as rusting that is caused by diets deficient in tyrosine, an amino acid necessary for melanin production.
However, I don't think this is true in your case. I think she's just shedding her kitten coat and she'll show more of her true colors as she grows up. :)

pickak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like chocolate to me, with a triple coat. Will probably need to get clipped by the groomer when she is an adult.

The colours can also very depending on the device viewing the image. But looks chocolate with red tinges. The first white haired one is probably a fever coat.
I don't know much about fever coat but I looked at pictures online and she has the sort of 'roan' splotches like it shows. Is it something they are born with or can it develop as they get older?

pickak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have pictures but unfortunately they are on my old phone. I am hoping I can have them printed off but I can't post them. Violet was a beautiful kitten. Unfortunately, one night Marble (mom who we had spayed) refused to come inside. Violet was also spayed. She never would come in, though. They both disappeared that night. A neighbor feeds what the neighbor next to us described as about 60 cats when we asked if he'd seen them. I think at least one of them would have come home. Sadly, I believe something bad happened.

Violet had more of a reddish hue, made redder by the sun, but wasn't nearly as exotic looking as your kitten.
I'm so sorry!!! Hopefully they're alive and well, living like hippie cats in their little colony. 😉

pickak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She could be a tortoiseshell in the process of blooming. Maybe, when her kitten coat grows out, she'll become a full fledged tortie.

I agree with others that she's probably got a fever coat, too. Again, that'll grow out as she sheds her kitten coat.

I've been doing some reading, as well. I found an article which says that some kittens' fur can change from black to reddish colored if they have certain vitamin deficiencies in their diet:

Fever Coat in Cats: Our Vet Explains What It Means - Cat-World

However, I don't think this is true in your case. I think she's just shedding her kitten coat and she'll show more of her true colors as she grows up. :)
Oh wow, that's really cool!!!! I'll have to look more into vitamin deficiencies just to make sure. I'm really interested in seeing what happens as she gets older and as the seasons change

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about fever coat but I looked at pictures online and she has the sort of 'roan' splotches like it shows. Is it something they are born with or can it develop as they get older?
Fever coat happens due to something stressing the fetus in the womb. Could be a virus , lack of nutrients or just genneral stress.

The fever coat will fall out once she starts her next seasonal shed. Then her true colours will show up as it falls out.

pickak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fever coat happens due to something stressing the fetus in the womb. Could be a virus , lack of nutrients or just genneral stress.

The fever coat will fall out once she starts her next seasonal shed. Then her true colours will show up as it falls out.
Can't wait to see what's under there!

pickak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Screenshot_20231116_204450_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20231116_204440_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20231116_203947_Photos.jpg

I was looking through my pictures and found these of her, they most accurately show her color. I sure hope she doesn't lose her red/brown color or the color point affect on her face and legs!

This was the only picture I can find online that looks like her. They called it a dilute tortie? She's also a little different because her face has more of the red/brown but still really close!
Screenshot_20231116_203840_Photos.jpg

Attachments

StormyPeak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Back in the mid 1980s when I worked at our local animal shelter, we would have called Nugget's coat a long hair, dark sable. It's more of a color description than a pattern description. Sable, is often a darker brown, but I've seen cats called sables that had shadows of reds, or lighter shades of brown tans in them.

Stormy

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's a stunner with those gorgeous green eyes! Not what I would describe as a dilute tortie, though. Dilute torties are torties with the dilute gene, so have the standard tortie pattern in grey and cream rather than black and red.