Help! I Rescued My First Kitten And I Have Lots Of Questions/worries/concerns

PepperTheRescue

Pepper short for Peperoncino
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I'm a first time cat owner and need all the help I can get.

I considered myself only a dog person until I saw a stray kitten close to my front gate.
His eyes were glued shut with gooey sticky eye dirt and was meowing some really sad meows :( anyway! He's with us now for 4 days. I brought him to the vet yesterday and here's what the vet said:
  • He is between 2-3 months old
  • He has rhinitis
  • He doesn't have increased body temperature - it's actually on the low side at 37.5C.
  • He has an eye infection
  • He has lots of ticks and fleas and parasites inside him
  • Vet said Pepper has a 50-50 chance of survivial :(

The vet gave him antiparasite med and we bathed him in tick & flea solution afterwards.
Now, my questions:
1. Pepper didn't receive antibiotics for his rhinitis; the vet said he doesn't need because anyway his temperature is normal (borderline on the low side actually). Instead we are using Marisol (an isotonic solution of sea salt enriched with Zinc) and spraying on both nostrils twice a day.. Are there other remedies for rhinitis (that's not antibiotics) that you guys can suggest?
2. I have 7month old German Spitz who is very nice with Pepper. Can my dog catch pepper's rhinitis and is it safe to let them spend time together? The vet said my dog can't catch rhinitis from Pepper but just asking here again for more information. Note that my dog is gentle with Pepper (she is mostly sniffing him) and they only hang around each other supervised. When we hoomans leave the house, the pets are separated.
3. Any suggestions on cat food that will help Pepper? For now I am feeding her Whiskas Junior (wet food fot 2-12month old kittens), and Purina Friskies Junior (dry food which on the box says can be mixed with milk), and lactose-free milk.
4. Should I buy supplements or vitamins for cats? Not sure exactly if that's a thing...
5. Should I just calm the F down? I am so worried for Pepper and freaked out after the vet said 50-50 survival rate and I just wanna make sure I am doing enough to help him.
6. Pepper started to get diarrhea after our visit the vet. Is this a side effect of the antiparasite med that he got?
7. What breed is Pepper? Or actually, do stray cats belong to any breed or are they just stray cats?

I know my post is quite long (or maybe it's not? Haven't gone around looking in this forum yet, I signed up just 5 minutes ago :D) but I would really appreciate all the advice and help!

Thank you in advance!

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How wonderful from one life long doggo parent/ first kitten rescue to another! You’ve got this!
I wish I could answer some of your questions but there are far better folks than I to help you.
The only thing I can suggest is lysine, Buttercup had an URI that just hung on even after antibiotics and when it was suggested- it cleared her right up!
Although I have some ideas for runny stools I’m unsure given you’re kittlets age so I shall differ to StefanZ StefanZ who is the kitten whisperer. :) @Mamanyt1953 is also a wonder!
There are so many others but I’m empty headed at the moment- more than usual! ;)
One of the greatest things you can do- you ARE doing, love and love love some more. It means the world to that little guy to know you are there and pulling for him, and he will try harder for it. No matter what you are loving the heck out of him and giving him that wonderful peace right now. You’ve got the most adorable little kittling and his big doggo sibling looking out for him.
You are dripping in cuteness over there! All the best from Buttercup and I and we look forward to Pepper growing big and silly!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PepperTheRescue

Kitten
Purraise
How wonderful from one life long doggo parent/ first kitten rescue to another! You’ve got this!
I wish I could answer some of your questions but there are far better folks than I to help you.
The only thing I can suggest is lysine, Buttercup had an URI that just hung on even after antibiotics and when it was suggested- it cleared her right up!
Although I have some ideas for runny stools I’m unsure given you’re kittlets age so I shall differ to StefanZ StefanZ who is the kitten whisperer. :) @Mamanyt1953 is also a wonder!
There are so many others but I’m empty headed at the moment- more than usual! ;)
One of the greatest things you can do- you ARE doing, love and love love some more. It means the world to that little guy to know you are there and pulling for him, and he will try harder for it. No matter what you are loving the heck out of him and giving him that wonderful peace right now. You’ve got the most adorable little kittling and his big doggo sibling looking out for him.
You are dripping in cuteness over there! All the best from Buttercup and I and we look forward to Pepper growing big and silly!
Lysine! There it is :) I did some looking and reading online and that came up several times but I wanted to confirm again here. Anyway Pepper is supposed to go to the vet again for a follow up check on Friday. I will have some Lysine ready and also ask my vet about it.

Anyway, cats are great! Haha! I didn't think much of cats before but now OMG how 1 rescue kitty changed my perception. I mean, he is not doing much now but still I am so in love <3. He is still very weak :( he is moving a lot more now than before, I suppose because most of his ticks are gone.

Actually a friend of mine told me to just keep on talking to Pepper - on top of the meds. My friend told me it might sound silly but cats can feel the love and that will help a lot! <3

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get raw goats milk?

Yes there are vitamine pastes for cats. A good pet shop sjould carry them.

Diarrhea may be fromdeworer.
If its much he will need some pedialyte.

Do you have access to IR warming lamp! Otheewise you van have a warming pad.

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lysine! There it is :) I did some looking and reading online and that came up several times but I wanted to confirm again here. Anyway Pepper is supposed to go to the vet again for a follow up check on Friday. I will have some Lysine ready and also ask my vet about it.

Anyway, cats are great! Haha! I didn't think much of cats before but now OMG how 1 rescue kitty changed my perception. I mean, he is not doing much now but still I am so in love <3. He is still very weak :( he is moving a lot more now than before, I suppose because most of his ticks are gone.

Actually a friend of mine told me to just keep on talking to Pepper - on top of the meds. My friend told me it might sound silly but cats can feel the love and that will help a lot! <3
Yay! It really helped Buttercup, even the antibiotics she was getting didn’t clear her URI. She started getting worse for a bit- and then the lysine just knocked it out of her!
I hope everyone says the dog is safe, they will be great bro’s and wrestle and make you laugh, I love the look on your dogs face!
Your friend is right, they really need emotional support and to know they are safe, loved and have a family. Although the shelter had Buttercup on the road to health, she was so tiny and had black frost bite marks all around her ears. She would pee in her little bed and lay in it for the first three days, I was so afraid it was bad. But she pulled through, her ears went from black to grey to.... well, see for yourself! :fear:

Hanging in there, second night...

Healing up...

And now, well- this what you’re in for...:drool:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stray cats are mostly as most other cats, they dont belong to any breed, they are domestics.

Even if I do know examples purebred cats whom got lost, not always as a result of hurricanes and other catastrophes.

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes! Like StefanZ StefanZ said, unflavored pedialyte is best for hydration, but there are recipes to make your own if you need it. The goats milk (raw unpasteurized) should help too, level out his upset tummy. If you don’t have a heat pad, you can put rice in a pillow case or sock and microwave it, help get his temperature up.
I’m not sure what country you’re in, different things are available in different areas. Let us know if there are any changes and people can help! Don’t be afraid to ask, better safe than sorry. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
L-lysine theoretically isnt helping much, so the vet will perhaps not say much.
But practically I know many have tried, and its useful on some forms of viruses.

Re your friendly dog. I cant swear he cant get, I dont know if the cats strain of virus doesnt goes on dogs. Many doesnt, some do.

BUT. I gather he is healthy with a good immune system.
While your little cat got prob the cold because its immune system was down when he was alone and undernourished, pested by all these worms too...

So the money bet the cold wont get onto your dog.

PepperTheRescue

Kitten
Purraise
Can you get raw goats milk?

Yes there are vitamine pastes for cats. A good pet shop sjould carry them.

Diarrhea may be fromdeworer.
If its much he will need some pedialyte.

Do you have access to IR warming lamp! Otheewise you van have a warming pad.
I didn't find Raw Goat's Milk at the pet store.. I will try in the healthy/organic grocery. :/ although I did find a low lactose milk that's enriched in calcium and formula is made especially for cats. That's what I'm giving to Pepper.

His diarrhea seems to have stopped! I came home to solid poop in the litter yesterday :D

PepperTheRescue

Kitten
Purraise
Yay! It really helped Buttercup, even the antibiotics she was getting didn’t clear her URI. She started getting worse for a bit- and then the lysine just knocked it out of her!
I hope everyone says the dog is safe, they will be great bro’s and wrestle and make you laugh, I love the look on your dogs face!
Your friend is right, they really need emotional support and to know they are safe, loved and have a family. Although the shelter had Buttercup on the road to health, she was so tiny and had black frost bite marks all around her ears. She would pee in her little bed and lay in it for the first three days, I was so afraid it was bad. But she pulled through, her ears went from black to grey to.... well, see for yourself! :fear:

Hanging in there, second night...

Healing up...

And now, well- this what you’re in for...:drool:
HAHA! Buttercup is sooooo adorable!!!

So wait... You rescued Buttercup and left him in the shelter where he can get more proper care? That's great that you have facilities like that... Haven't found one around my area.... :( but anyway it seems it's not required anymore. Pepper is more active now and even fighting with my dog!

Yesterday we had fish for dinner, so I gave a bit to both.. But since my dog is bigger and healthier, she finished her first and went to try and steal Pepper's fish. Pepper wasn't having any of it and extended his paw and retracted his claws haha!

PepperTheRescue

Kitten
Purraise
Yes! Like StefanZ StefanZ said, unflavored pedialyte is best for hydration, but there are recipes to make your own if you need it. The goats milk (raw unpasteurized) should help too, level out his upset tummy. If you don’t have a heat pad, you can put rice in a pillow case or sock and microwave it, help get his temperature up.
I’m not sure what country you’re in, different things are available in different areas. Let us know if there are any changes and people can help! Don’t be afraid to ask, better safe than sorry. :)
Rice in a sock sounds great!! Will do that later today.
I live in Serbia and didn't have time to go to the big pet shop yesterday - so I didn't find a warming pad. :( but I will do that rice thing :p

PepperTheRescue

Kitten
Purraise
L-lysine theoretically isnt helping much, so the vet will perhaps not say much.
But practically I know many have tried, and its useful on some forms of viruses.

Re your friendly dog. I cant swear he cant get, I dont know if the cats strain of virus doesnt goes on dogs. Many doesnt, some do.

BUT. I gather he is healthy with a good immune system.
While your little cat got prob the cold because its immune system was down when he was alone and undernourished, pested by all these worms too...

So the money bet the cold wont get onto your dog.
That's great. Anyway my dog hasn't been displaying any symptoms. No sneezing or coughing or anything like that. And yes my dog is healthy - she is not a rescue to it was much easier with her from the beginning... Although I have to say nurturing and caring for a rescue is much much more fulfilling! I understand more the #AdoptDontShop movement :)

Oh and I also got vitamin paste for Pepper. He likes it and eats it without any problem. I got her some special pellets in gravy also... It says on the packaging that it's enriched with vitamins like omega 3. I am putting the paste on top of his cat food and he finishes everything!

His appetite is definitely much better now as well. He eats more!

Is there a restriction on how much I should feed him? He weighs about 300 grams. From yesterday I am feeding him whenever he wakes up and he eats. His life is basically sleep-eat-poop right now, haha! Anyway, I though I should feed him as often as I can so he can get stronger...

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
HAHA! Buttercup is sooooo adorable!!!

So wait... You rescued Buttercup and left him in the shelter where he can get more proper care? That's great that you have facilities like that... Haven't found one around my area.... :( but anyway it seems it's not required anymore. Pepper is more active now and even fighting with my dog!

Yesterday we had fish for dinner, so I gave a bit to both.. But since my dog is bigger and healthier, she finished her first and went to try and steal Pepper's fish. Pepper wasn't having any of it and extended his paw and retracted his claws haha!
Oh she’s crazy, lol!
When I found her at the shelter they had already starting treating her illness because she would have died, but she was on the mend by the time I brought her home. I got her that night! Here when the humane society finds a sick kitten they will do their best to save it (in the good ones anyway, not all are that way) but then I finished her treatment at home. Her immune system took a bit to get stronger on the good food and vitamins and then she stopped coughing and sneezing- now I only worry about her craziness!:p
That is the BEST news!!!! :celebrate:
If Pepper is playing with the dog and standing up for food that means he is feeling feisty and better!! It also means they sound like best buddies already and I can’t wait for pictures and videos and stories!
Congratulations you’ve done so well!!!:woohoo:

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's great. Anyway my dog hasn't been displaying any symptoms. No sneezing or coughing or anything like that. And yes my dog is healthy - she is not a rescue to it was much easier with her from the beginning... Although I have to say nurturing and caring for a rescue is much much more fulfilling! I understand more the #AdoptDontShop movement :)

Oh and I also got vitamin paste for Pepper. He likes it and eats it without any problem. I got her some special pellets in gravy also... It says on the packaging that it's enriched with vitamins like omega 3. I am putting the paste on top of his cat food and he finishes everything!

His appetite is definitely much better now as well. He eats more!

Is there a restriction on how much I should feed him? He weighs about 300 grams. From yesterday I am feeding him whenever he wakes up and he eats. His life is basically sleep-eat-poop right now, haha! Anyway, I though I should feed him as often as I can so he can get stronger...
Yaaaaayyy! Let him eat as much as he likes at this stage, treat him like grandparents and spoil him! :anticipation:
You are right about having a healthy animal versus saving one, and I’m so glad your dog is healthy! I have a pure bred dog too, and it’s a great match.
And you have black and white, salt and pepper haha!;)