Help! I Might Be The Worst Rescuer Ever!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Soupy poop will most likely require worming and antibiotics.

In the meantime, do not limit food. Kittens need as much as they can eat to grow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elyquint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are 5 weeks old, right? One pound is about right. You can begin mixing some KMR with some canned food, preferably ones specified for kittens, so the kitten system can adjust to kitten food. In about another week you should be able to feed the kitten dry kitten chow in addition to the canned food . You can leave a bowl out 24/7.
We are going to the vet tomorrow. Looks like a botfly or something.

Attachments

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let us know how it goes. Those kittens are very lucky to have found you :)

Elyquint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So... Botfly it was. They were all treated for worms and soupy poopy butt is constipated. The vet said absolutely no nursing. Said kittens with teeth have no business nursing. Back to the isolation crate for two weeks. Now what to with the one running around with Scotch tape stuck to his nose! So cute. So high maintenance. Thanks to everyone for the advice and support. I so needed it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How was the botfly treated? And how was the constipation dealt with?

I disagree with the vet though about nursing. Mama kitties nurse kittens with teeth all the time.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In agree, i have had outside mamas nurse 6 month old kittens. They wean on their own, and are not nice about it! But they still let them nurse every so often.

Elyquint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave soupy poopy butt the correctol (1/4 pill) the vet instructed me too but no movement yet and he is clearly uncomfortable. Still eating and drinking normal. Pedialite. A&D ointment. DailyDbath with multiple bum cleanings. I'm wondering if I should give him miralax instead. Seems to be the go to treatment on this site. Any thoughts?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be careful not to over do it. Give the other a full 24-48 hours to work. I give 1/8 -1/4 teaspoon of Miralax to my cats when they are constipated, and so far it has worked every time! I mixed it in tuna juice, just a small amount, or a beat egg yolk.

Elyquint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have had success! My husband gave him another dose of the correctol yesterday so I held off on the miralax. Soupy poopy bum had a movement this morning. Now he is taking a nap. We are well armed for a repeat issue. Correctol, miralax, Pedialyte and infant enemas.

My first litter rescue and I now know how to deal with brain trauma, constipation and botflies.

Elyquint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have been chowing down and mama is showing less interest in nursing. Which is great!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My first litter rescue and I now know how to deal with brain trauma, constipation and botflies.
Honestly, talk about being thrown right out into the middle of the lake and told to swim!! You and your hubs are AMAZING!!
(--oh, by the way, if by chance you were to utilize any egg white, that part of the egg must be cooked.)

Elyquint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, talk about being thrown right out into the middle of the lake and told to swim!! You and your hubs are AMAZING!!
(--oh, by the way, if by chance you were to utilize any egg white, that part of the egg must be cooked.)
Good to know. He was still miserable so we had to do a kitten enema last night. Another first. Harder for kitty than it is for me. He forgave me quickly. Hope he had some relief overnight.

Elyquint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. So I gave soupy poopy bum an enema last night and was disappointed to not find any poop in the litter box in the crate. But after I feed them and put my glasses on I found the poop. His sister was covered in poop. He pooped all over his sister!