Help - I don't know what's happening

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On thursday I noticed a lump of the back of my cat's leg, right in the loose flap of skin. Its round and doesn't seem to bother her when i manipulate it. I immadiately called the vet to book an appointment.

On friday I noticed she wasn't eating like she normally does. She typically inhales food and is not picky at all. Now she barely grazes it here and there. Wont eat the dry food which is unlike her. And has thrown up what she's eaten quite a bit.

She's also been using the litterbox less..

This morning we brought her to the vet where they did blood work (came back normal) and took a sample of that lump and it came back as a lymphnode. They tool a bigger sample and we have to wait until mid next week for the results. Its either cancerous or reactive. The vet suspects its reactive considerig its location but why the hell would her appetite be the way it is??? They gave her some injections for nausea, appetite and a few other things but the appetite stimulant hasn't done anything... they said to give it 24hours but im a complete wreck.

I have no idea whats going on and why this is happening. My baby was fine a few days ago it seemed and now all this.. i cant make sense of any of this and i cant seem to calm myself down.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she starts eating normally, however you might consider handfeeding her canned food and even additional Earthborn baby food (meat flavored with no seasonings), with your finger or a tongue depressor.

Take a look at this;
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Try some chamomile tea for yourself - she's sensitive to your emotions - hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she starts eating normally, however you might consider handfeeding her canned food and even additional Earthborn baby food (meat flavored with no seasonings), with your finger or a tongue depressor.

Take a look at this;
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Try some chamomile tea for yourself - she's sensitive to your emotions - hang in there!

I'm so distraught, I don't know what to do with myself. It's hard not to think worst case scenario with things like this...😭

She has eaten a bit throughout the day and has had water. Just not as much as she typically does. She normally devours everything. Screams at me constantly for food. And now she's just... not. And i dont understand. I'll try finding some tuna packed in water, my babies tend to enjoy that.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you mean using the litterbox less...not as much poop? or perhaps she has been peeing elsewhere in the house that you just haven't found?
If that is the case, I wonder if she has an infection, like a UTI, which may have caused the lymphnode to swell a bit.
I know I found the same nodes on my kitty one time, I was concerned, and the vet said they were just her lymphnodes and that she was impressed that I could feel them because most people don't.

She could also just have some sort of stomach virus that is causing her loss of appetite, which could also cause a lymphnode to swell.

Sometimes, when my allergies are bad, my lymphnodes in my neck can get a little puffy, same with when I have a cold. So it's normal for them to swell when an infection is going on.

Did you feel for the node on the other leg to compare it's size?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and one more thing...Lymphnodes are very sensitive to manipulation and can become irritated and inflamed if played with. So if you are playing with them...please stop, as it might just make it bigger then it would normally be. And I'm not criticizing you, I'm very much a dog with a bone when something is amiss, and will often go overboard with checking and re-checking things, so I get it if you are too, but just an FYI about how sensitive nodes are... :hugs:

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What do you mean using the litterbox less...not as much poop? or perhaps she has been peeing elsewhere in the house that you just haven't found?
If that is the case, I wonder if she has an infection, like a UTI, which may have caused the lymphnode to swell a bit.
I know I found the same nodes on my kitty one time, I was concerned, and the vet said they were just her lymphnodes and that she was impressed that I could feel them because most people don't.

She could also just have some sort of stomach virus that is causing her loss of appetite, which could also cause a lymphnode to swell.

Sometimes, when my allergies are bad, my lymphnodes in my neck can get a little puffy, same with when I have a cold. So it's normal for them to swell when an infection is going on.

Did you feel for the node on the other leg to compare it's size?
Definitely not as much poop and she pees once a day now. Usually its twice. She "puddle pees'', so its always a whole lot at once. When at the vet today she could feel poop in her colon, but not an excess amount or anything and no urine in her bladder (she peed throughout the night).

I just cant make sense of what type of infection would cause this? I've had so many cats in my short 26 years and have had soooo many issues with them, ive never been stumped like this. Its hard not to dwell on the worst case scenario. These are my babies.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Reactive lymph node means generally that the cat, or other species, is fighting off an infection. Given that a UTI or other infection could cause what you are describing, try not to go to the worst scenario and just see if there is some appealing food she might eat. I have had luck with Gerbers babyfood meats.

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh and one more thing...Lymphnodes are very sensitive to manipulation and can become irritated and inflamed if played with. So if you are playing with them...please stop, as it might just make it bigger then it would normally be. And I'm not criticizing you, I'm very much a dog with a bone when something is amiss, and will often go overboard with checking and re-checking things, so I get it if you are too, but just an FYI about how sensitive nodes are... :hugs:
I really appreciate all the information youve given me. The more the better! I've been a wreck constantly googling everything and coming up with nothing but scary outcomes... isnt that always how it goes with google though?

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Reactive lymph node means generally that the cat, or other species, is fighting off an infection. Given that a UTI or other infection could cause what you are describing, try not to go to the worst scenario and just see if there is some appealing food she might eat. I have had luck with Gerbers babyfood meats.
Ive never had a uti in a cat cause a lack of appetite and vomitting though? She did pee last night and it was a lot of urine. Im praying its a reactive lymphnode and not cancerous. It's at such a random and strange spot, even the vet said it would be unlikely to be cancer. But the eating thing is really getting to me. I cant make sense of it what so ever.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Dr Google has to give you the scary outcomes so that you don't try to sue some site which made light of your inquiry. I did not mean to say that it had to be just a UTI as there is so much that can cause a lymph node to swell that is not cancer that the list could go on interminably. Your vet has seen things in his practice and probably did not say lightly that it is not cancer....he probably really thinks it is not.

There are a couple of different appetite stimulants, so you might inquire if the one you have is not working.

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dr Google has to give you the scary outcomes so that you don't try to sue some site which made light of your inquiry. I did not mean to say that it had to be just a UTI as there is so much that can cause a lymph node to swell that is not cancer that the list could go on interminably. Your vet has seen things in his practice and probably did not say lightly that it is not cancer....he probably really thinks it is not.

There are a couple of different appetite stimulants, so you might inquire if the one you have is not working.
She said it wasn't likely but she can't say for sure. I've had those cats that end up with the rarest of things, so to say that i'm paranoid is an understatement.

It's just such a strange spot for a lump, i really thought it was a fatty tumor.

I was trying to think of what in the world could cause a lack of appetite and those lymphnodes? That's whats making me go to worst case scenario.

The vet gave her a shot of mirtazapine to stimulate her appetite but it hasn't done anything yet. I was concerned so i called them to ask and they told me to give it about 24 hours, and if theres no change to call them. The watching and waiting of it all is an absolute nightmare.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you had a chance to get some tuna, canned chicken and baby food? Doing something can help get your mind involved with something else.

Do try and be as calm as possible - cats are sponges for our emotions and she will definitely pick up on your stress.

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you had a chance to get some tuna, canned chicken and baby food? Doing something can help get your mind involved with something else.

Do try and be as calm as possible - cats are sponges for our emotions and she will definitely pick up on your stress.

No, I haven't yet. I'm going to try to go soon. I'm having a hard time leaving her alone. I get very neurotic when my pets get sick and feel a lot of guilt when i leave them alone

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lymph node frequently swell with infection. I had one on my neck that would swell occasionally back when I was a kid. But then I am not a cat. Wait for the biopsy report and take 2 aspirin and a glass of wine!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just such a strange spot for a lump, i really thought it was a fatty tumor.
But it's not a weird place for it. It's part of their anatomy, that is where a node is on all cats...it just so happens you felt it...
Like I said earlier, my vet said she was impressed I felt it when I mentioned my concerns for it when I found it on my cat as well.
An infection can be a UTI, but she could also have some mild stomach virus causing it to swell a bit. The possibilities are endless...
And your vet can't say "for sure it's not cancer"...even if she truly believes it's not, that would not be ethical without confirmation of a test that she has sent out.
I can understand your fears, I too am one of those..."if it's going to happen to someone, it'll be me/my cats..." kinda deal...toootally get it!
But do try to not over think this...

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could order the food supplies to be delivered?
I went out and got some different cat foods and some canned tuna packed in water. I gave her a bit of the tuna and she ate it (i find she has difficulty with anything shredded, chunky, or hard right now??) And gave her extra of the water and she ate some of that. Still not devouring food like i want her too. There normally wouldnt be an ounce of food left. Im so, so confused.

They checked her teeth and the vet said everything seemed fine. But what in the world could be causing her to not devour her food. I just cannot make sense of it.

Sorry if I keep rambling. Like I've mentioned before I have a very, very difficult time coping and functioning when my pets aren't themselves.💔 We've had such bad luck in the past with some of my poor departed babies, there just doesn't seem to be a 'small' or 'simple' issue😔

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But it's not a weird place for it. It's part of their anatomy, that is where a node is on all cats...it just so happens you felt it...
Like I said earlier, my vet said she was impressed I felt it when I mentioned my concerns for it when I found it on my cat as well.
An infection can be a UTI, but she could also have some mild stomach virus causing it to swell a bit. The possibilities are endless...
And your vet can't say "for sure it's not cancer"...even if she truly believes it's not, that would not be ethical without confirmation of a test that she has sent out.
I can understand your fears, I too am one of those..."if it's going to happen to someone, it'll be me/my cats..." kinda deal...toootally get it!
But do try to not over think this...
I just wish i had a list of the possibilities so I could make some sort of sense of it. We have 4 other cats in the house so I dont think it would be something contagious since my other cats are fine. Its really the no eating thing that's really making me spiral.

I am 1000% that type of person, is it obvious? Lol I'm trying so hard not to overthink it but her not eating really bothers me. She's my foodie. I thought her weightloss was due to us putting them on diets but now im wondering if i missed something.