Help! I don't know what to do here!

Christinemeowk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A feral mother cat I've been feeding and trying to make mine since 2019 died on the 25th of August. She had given birth July 16th. She had just become friendly with me shortly before giving birth. I tried to get her before she had her kittens but missed it by one day. After finding her dead I brought her home and buried her and continued to look for the kittens daily. She had them somewhere near my old apartment. I had no idea how many or what they look like Yesterday when I thought all hope was lost my hubbs saw a Facebook post from a neighbor at old neighborhood looking for help with abandoned kittens. One look and I knew they were hers. They dropped them off to us and I set up shop for them in our very large basement. Plenty of food and water, warm bedding and multiple litter boxes. I've seen foot prints in the litter but not a box used yet. Today I found the scared little babies on top of one of our two oil tanks. I cannot reach them to get them down without them shimmying down between oil tank and wall. Then I looked under the tanks and discovered they have been going to the bathroom under them, wayyy back along the walls. Can't reach the kittens. Can't get to the poo and pee to clean it. Can't figure out how to get them using the litter boxes. I've taken in kittens from two previous litters from same momma cat. All of them used the litter boxes on their own. She didn't have enough time to show these ones the ropes. What do I do?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box – TheCatSite Articles
Litter Box Location Secrets – TheCatSite Articles
The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make – TheCatSite Articles
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Welcome to The Cat Site! Thank you for taking care of these babies and for giving their mom a final resting place. The above articles may help; however, I don't mean to suggest that you do not know what to do given that you have raised litter before.

I had a similar situation with an older kitten who was born under my neighbor's house. Once we got the litter out from under the house (where they had been using the dirt in the crawl space) and relocated, one chose only to use concrete or cement to poop. When I brought them in, this girl would not use litter. She chose two corners to eliminate, I put boxes in both corners with litter, she refused to use them. I removed the box and she went back to the corner which I had now covered with a dog pee pad. She was completely willing to use it, so I put a pad in an empty litter box and she was entirely faithful to using it until she transitioned to litter which was about a year later. I wonder if the kittens never used anything like that, as you suggest, so haven't made the connection. There are litter attractants you can buy, some people bring in a box filled with dirt and leaves, you can try pee pad which will at least contain the waste. I realize that you said this is not a place that you can reach though. Can it be blocked off in any way, even if they temporarily poop elsewhere until you are able to resolve this. Out here no one has a basement or oil tank, so I might not be asking the right questions in that respect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christinemeowk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Fionasmom! This whole situation has turned into a literal sh*t show!
Definitely going to check out those articles. We moved into this house a year ago and I've gotten up every morning at sunrise to go feed the mom (Abigail) and dad (Oliver). I couldn't just let them starve after they depended on me. Once Abigail let me love on her we were going to try to get her over here to give birth. On that day Oliver had been messed up in a fight pretty bad. We decided to get to him to the vet and get her the next day. The next day she had already had her babies. I continued morning feedings waiting out the day she brought her little beans around. She died before that happened, two days before they were 6 weeks old. Oliver was originally in the basement because we found out he was FIV positive and couldn't be around his boys we took in before we moved. I'm the only human he's had contact with before vet. He is currently in our guest bedroom. We sent him there to recover from getting neutered. Getting him back to the vet for follow-up was a traumatic experience for both of us. I'm pretty sure he hates me now. He won't come out from under the bed when I'm in the room and hisses when I go near. We have enough floors and doors to be able to shut and let him and the others take turns hanging out on the ground level. The plan was to let Oliver have time going back and forth between basement and first floor. Now with him hiding and this kitten situation I can't let him roam. The only way to block the oil tanks is to maybe get sheets of wood or something and builds a blockade. I think I really need him and the kittens to swap spaces, but none of them will let me handle them at the moment. I really thought the little ones would take to the litter box like the others. I left Oliver's slightly used box down there with two other boxes for the kittens. Last night and this morning I saw foot prints in all of them. Lol sorry for going on and on. I'm just so stressed and emotionally wrecked. I had wanted so badly to reunite Abigail and Oliver with their older offspring and have a safe space for the new siblings to all be together. Watching it all blow up in front of me has been gut wrenching.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
At this point you need to do damage control, so don't get too emotional about Oliver for the time being. He will probably come around. He is safe and if you don't interact you might get further than if he thinks he is in for another vet trip when he sees you.

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles

He is not shy and he is not abused, but there might be some hints in those articles. You were able to get him to the vet initially, so he must have had some contact with you. He is still overreacting and hopefully will figure out that he is safe and will allow you to move him and the kittens. How did the neighbor at the old apartment get the kittens? I wonder if they will also calm down since you have only had them since yesterday which is absolutely no time in the world of bringing kittens to a new place. Too many changes, lost their mom, don't realize that they are being helped now. You might find that over the next few days the kittens become friendlier. Can you offer them treats, stews or bisques, Gerber's baby food on your finger? A wand type toy that they might want to play with?

Christinemeowk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, Oliver allowed me to pet him for over a year before I took him to get fixed. I think he's mad he can't be outside free to roam anymore. With his Fiv status his immune system would shorten his life even faster and he's a risk to other cats. As his only human I hate that I'm making him miserable for his own good.

The neighbor across the street said he'd been leaving his garage door half open for months. There's a chance Abigail had her babies in there. He just noticed them a week ago and made the post after not seeing a momma come for them at all. I didn't even think to check with them, because they have big crazy dogs and they let them wander. I didn't think Abigail would be anywhere near that. I have been giving the kittens two brands of dry kitten chow. I keep some dry, and some in water like a soup. They get super stinky fancy feast kitten pate's and they have a few toys down there. I ordered them a fancier more cave like bed and a cat tunnel, fishing poles, and more toys. I just put a couple more litter boxes downstairs with a different kind of litter. Maybe they'll like the pine better? They were no longer on top of the oil tank when I went down. I had put a folded blanket up top so at least they'd have something soft and warm to cuddle on. I guess that made them feel unsafe. They returned to where they hid last night. One of them was in the kitty bed this morning when I went to feed them before the great oil tank climb. So I hope you're right and they see me as a friend soon. I need to vet them checked out at the vet too. Thank you for being so helpful and supportive. I really appreciate it!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If Oliver allowed you to be his friend for a year, he is in a mood. Yes, he may think that something changed in your friendship but he will figure it out. Focus on the fact that he is safe, has been to a vet, and is cared for, all because you are being so kind to him.

See if the kittens start to calm down over the next few days. If you think that litter is the problem, get newspaper or some other covering just to see if you can get them to choose a spot and stick with it. They are definitely young enough to be socialized.

Please let us know what happens!

Christinemeowk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got smacked in the face by the smell in the basement this morning. Many new poos under the oil tanks, but also... somebody used one of the litter boxes to poo. I hope this becomes a trend with all! Lol
Oh and last night I kept hearing these thump thump thump sounds coming from behind the door. I peeked in and saw a couple of them going nuts playing on the stairs. I'm feeling quite hopeful now! 😸❤

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Despite the awful smell from the basement, those are good signs. It is only a couple of days and they are figuring out that there is a litter box and also are beginning to investigate. They are going to come around I am sure.