Help I am panicking

chelseagirl74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Loki, is 7 months old, he is up to date on all vaccinations, worm and flea treatments. He is a 100% indoor cat and has never been outside other than on a verandah.
About a month ago I noticed him trying to take his collar off,as if he was in discomfort. When I removed it I could feel some small raised bumps, I thought he had scratched himself so I left the collar off of him for a few days. He kept trying to itch that area and I noticed he had cut the area and it was scabbed over. He saw a holistic vet who gave me some natural plant based cream to promote healing. But it started turning black and seemed to be spreading, I took him to our local vet who shaved the area, it was much bigger than I had originally thought, and this (pic) is what we saw. She said it was a fungal infection and gave me an anti-fungal solution, cream and some immunity booster to put in his food/water.
It's been almost a week and I see no improvement, to be fair she did say it could take up to 2 weeks, but I am so worried about him. He is eating fine, using his litter box and is playing and seems to be completely normal. Am I just panicking, should I wait for the 2 weeks of treatment to be up or should I get a second opinion. Also today I noticed his tongue has some black spots on it. I know two vets have said it is fungal and to give it time. But I am so worried it could be something worse

kitty.jpeg
kitty2.jpg

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful kitty! I would give it the two weeks time for the medications to take its effect - I know it is scary, totally understandable! But your local vet seems to have done everything right in terms of treatment and care. Everything is covered, topical cream and oral.

As for the black spots, it could very well be simple pigmentation (Which is common. Two of my kitties who are gingers have freckles all over their lips and nose. Siamese cats can also get freckles apparently!) or like the two vets said, fungus, which is the most likely diagnosis based by actual medical professionals who were with your kitty. Worst case scenario is melanoma but that usually affects senior cats so the odds are in your favor. Black spots can also be as simple as your kitty licking certain fabrics.

If he is eating, grooming, going to the potty and playing well then he is doing just fine! Hang in there! Trust your vet! If you see no improvements by the two weeks then do a follow up with that same latter vet, no doubt they will do easily do something to encourage the healing process further. That's normal for them to do. Again, one of my kitties needed a second boost of antibiotics after 10 days (Upper Respiratory infection) and then she was fine. The vets prior told me if she needed a second dose then I was welcome to return after monitoring her progress. Ask them as many questions as you desire and they will give you as much reassurance and facts as desired/needed if you are worried that it is something worse. Sometimes infections can be fussy little things, they don't always disappear overnight and that's OK. In general there is no problem overall with getting a second opinion, but you also don't want to go clinic-hopping just because you are panicked. If after the two weeks and go back to the same vet, and wait another given time, and you are still uncertain afterward, then you can consider looking around.

Again, he is a gooooorrrgeeeeeeouus cat! Looks healthy and well take care of :redheartpump: he is very lucky to have a loving and devoted owner!

(And at the risk of being attacked for saying this, stay away from Holistic vets for awhile)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Loki is gorgeous and evidently well loved. Years ago I had a cat have a huge reaction to a collar; it was not a medicated or flea collar, but it literally took part of his neck with it when I figured out that he was in trouble.

I agree that, since you did go to a regular DVM, giving this time to heal is not a bad idea. Some dermatologists tell human patients to take a pic every couple of days, sometimes using a small ruler or pencil as a marker, to see if the lesion or suspicious area is increasing or decreasing. If it seems to get bigger, I would call the vet before the medication period is up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chelseagirl74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Beautiful kitty! I would give it the two weeks time for the medications to take its effect - I know it is scary, totally understandable! But your local vet seems to have done everything right in terms of treatment and care. Everything is covered, topical cream and oral.

As for the black spots, it could very well be simple pigmentation (Which is common. Two of my kitties who are gingers have freckles all over their lips and nose. Siamese cats can also get freckles apparently!) or like the two vets said, fungus, which is the most likely diagnosis based by actual medical professionals who were with your kitty. Worst case scenario is melanoma but that usually affects senior cats so the odds are in your favor. Black spots can also be as simple as your kitty licking certain fabrics.

If he is eating, grooming, going to the potty and playing well then he is doing just fine! Hang in there! Trust your vet! If you see no improvements by the two weeks then do a follow up with that same latter vet, no doubt they will do easily do something to encourage the healing process further. That's normal for them to do. Again, one of my kitties needed a second boost of antibiotics after 10 days (Upper Respiratory infection) and then she was fine. The vets prior told me if she needed a second dose then I was welcome to return after monitoring her progress. Ask them as many questions as you desire and they will give you as much reassurance and facts as desired/needed if you are worried that it is something worse. Sometimes infections can be fussy little things, they don't always disappear overnight and that's OK. In general there is no problem overall with getting a second opinion, but you also don't want to go clinic-hopping just because you are panicked. If after the two weeks and go back to the same vet, and wait another given time, and you are still uncertain afterward, then you can consider looking around.

Again, he is a gooooorrrgeeeeeeouus cat! Looks healthy and well take care of :redheartpump: he is very lucky to have a loving and devoted owner!

(And at the risk of being attacked for saying this, stay away from Holistic vets for awhile)
Thank you so much. I think I am just overly worried, I lost my seal point Himmie back in August last year to renal failure, and while I did get him all the right treatment I feel like I should have done more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chelseagirl74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Loki is gorgeous and evidently well loved. Years ago I had a cat have a huge reaction to a collar; it was not a medicated or flea collar, but it literally took part of his neck with it when I figured out that he was in trouble.

I agree that, since you did go to a regular DVM, giving this time to heal is not a bad idea. Some dermatologists tell human patients to take a pic every couple of days, sometimes using a small ruler or pencil as a marker, to see if the lesion or suspicious area is increasing or decreasing. If it seems to get bigger, I would call the vet before the medication period is up.
Thank you.